[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

I was waiting on this! Now I can roleplay recovery of pods. However, I don't understand exactly how to use the parts. Are they for KAS/IR when they get updated? Second, is is there a semi-standard way to use the parts? It's a bit unclear what each thing should do or where to put it on the craft. For instance, the truss has a control core, but I didn't know this until I launched it.

It might be nice to have some default craft files and/or some more explanation on the page. And a link to the forum page from the Kerbalstuff page.

10 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I was waiting on this! Now I can roleplay recovery of pods. However, I don't understand exactly how to use the parts. Are they for KAS/IR when they get updated? Second, is is there a semi-standard way to use the parts? It's a bit unclear what each thing should do or where to put it on the craft. For instance, the truss has a control core, but I didn't know this until I launched it.

It might be nice to have some default craft files and/or some more explanation on the page. And a link to the forum page from the Kerbalstuff page.

It helps to read back (it's only 3 pages) as some answers are in there.  All functionality was developed from scratch.  No dependencies on KIS/KAS/IR.

Launch stream to see it in action: https://www.twitch.tv/roverdude/v/92890797

Edited by goldenpsp

27 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

It helps to read back (it's only 3 pages) as some answers are in there.  All functionality was developed from scratch.  No dependencies on KIS/KAS/IR.

Launch stream to see it in action: https://www.twitch.tv/roverdude/v/92890797

I too would really like documentation. Or at least that twitch stream posted on YouTube where I can more easily download it see it in a fashion that is more obliging to my preferences.

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I too would really like documentation. Or at least that twitch stream posted on YouTube where I can more easily download it see it in a fashion that is more obliging to my preferences.

Well I'm sure the volunteers will step up eventually to create a wiki for this mod.  If it was possible to help @RoverDude putting the twitch streams over on youtube I'd help.  Otherwise I'd say we can all just be grateful he turns on recording of his twitch streams.

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

If you're going to ask someone who is already using his precious time to provide you with a mod to be "more obliging to [your] preferences" the least you could do is include a "please".

In all seriousness, I don't expect to start doing any wiki work until 1.2 is properly released, since I expect a lot of work on this wiki will overlap with updates needed to the UKS one as well.

28 minutes ago, Merkov said:

If you're going to ask someone who is already using his precious time to provide you with a mod to be "more obliging to [your] preferences" the least you could do is include a "please".

In all seriousness, I don't expect to start doing any wiki work until 1.2 is properly released, since I expect a lot of work on this wiki will overlap with updates needed to the UKS one as well.

I did not in any way mean to imply I was impatient. I actually personally find the word "please" to be far more indicative of impatience than it's absence. And the whole "obliging to my preferences" thing was a joke because I really want it on YouTube because you can download full videos from it, instead of 15-minute chunks like from Twitch. That was a complaint about Twitch, not RoverDude.

If in any way I came across as demanding or impatient, I apologize. I was merely stating my preference.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I did not in any way mean to imply I was impatient. I actually personally find the word "please" to be far more indicative of impatience than it's absence. And the whole "obliging to my preferences" thing was a joke because I really want it on YouTube because you can download full videos from it, instead of 15-minute chunks like from Twitch. That was a complaint about Twitch, not RoverDude.

If in any way I came across as demanding or impatient, I apologize. I was merely stating my preference.

Ah, that all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I also prefer youtube, though I get that twitch is generally considered better for streaming. 

On the bright side, I'm sure it's only a matter of time until Kottabos gaming does a review of it...

2 hours ago, Merkov said:

Ah, that all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I also prefer youtube, though I get that twitch is generally considered better for streaming. 

On the bright side, I'm sure it's only a matter of time until Kottabos gaming does a review of it...

I can do a Kottabos review right now:

1) Show one part.

2) Choose one of these descriptions randomly: "I like it very much"; "It's very beautiful"; "I really like the textures"; " I enjoy this very much"

3) Show another part.

Seriously though, excellent job Roverdude! I've been testing the mod out and the new collapsible docking ports and robotic parts are amazing in particular. Looking forward to the rest of the new releases of the USI mods. 

RoverDude, you've created some really awesome mods in the past but this tops all of them.

Ik can remember requesting such a mod quite a while ago and now you've created it. You even surpassed my wishes with the autorotate feature. Connected (welded) modules no longer have varying angles and the combination has a reduced partcount.

Well done! (It's unfortunate that it can't be used for 1.1.3 but it's just a question of time before 1.2 is released).

18 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Draw me a better picture :)  And yeah the intent is to make base construction a lot more interactive and interesting.

Unfortunately I'm away from my regular rig at the moment.

I was envisioning a basic truss that can have an end plate extended out horizontally with a couple of pistons, handy to place a counterweight on for balancing.

Maybe a piece more like a gantry crane would fit for making those fine adjustments for attaching modules.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantry_crane

Was just trying to figure out is a dedicated piece would be more useful for fine tuning adjustments from a static position rather than trying to maneuver with wheels.

That construction port looks really nice. Will you publish it as a standalone? I'm following your mods with interrest but prefer to play as stock as possible. But those ports they'd come in pretty handy.

Great work I'll at least give this one a test run in sandbox, I'm amazed.

Spoiler

I think I got it: I need the Construction.dll and (when it's up to date) the mm and the just add the ModuleWeldablePort to the stock ports.

Edited by maculator

3 minutes ago, maculator said:

That construction port looks really nice. Will you publish it as a standalone? I'm following your mods with interrest but prefer to play as stock as possible. But those ports they'd come in pretty handy.

Great work I'll at least give this one a test run in sandbox, I'm amazed.

then literally install it and deleate all the parts appart from the port

13 hours ago, AzraelDR said:

I can do a Kottabos review right now:

1) Show one part.

2) Choose one of these descriptions randomly: "I like it very much"; "It's very beautiful"; "I really like the textures"; " I enjoy this very much"

3) Show another part.

Seriously though, excellent job Roverdude! I've been testing the mod out and the new collapsible docking ports and robotic parts are amazing in particular. Looking forward to the rest of the new releases of the USI mods. 

Don't forget "glorious", "this makes me happy", and "I'm a sucker for a good animation". :)