Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear release date and more!

SQUAD

14 hours ago, WeirdCulture said:

c'mon... don't play with other people feelings... :wink: 

But that's the best way to play! :wink:
I'll admit... I detected the presence of onion cutting ninjas when I watched NASA TV's livestream of the ESA's landing of Rosetta...
Damn onion cutting ninjas... ;.;

Also, best anthropomorphized probes, ever! ESA doing their "storybook" tale of Rosetta and Philae was a genius tool to grab people's attention. We need more draws to pull in public interest into space. If you don't keep the people's attention, you have no hope of a future. Apollo was incredible, but it was cut short when the huge expense was no longer politically relevant, and the masses had generally lost interest. By the time the shuttle came around... Well... We had Truuuucks innnn Spaaaace! :rolleyes:

sts-5.jpg
STS-5: Yeah, even this early in the Shuttle program, the Astronauts themselves got the joke. STS-FIVE

Challenger nearly killed the "will" for manned space exploration, and it wasn't till the trusty space truck delivered Hubble, and then delivered a repair crew, that public interest grew for space, once again. With New Horizons, and the love for little old PLANET* Pluto, Dawn and the exploration of   Dres   Ceres, and now with the culmination of the Rosetta and Philae mission, we've had a new resurgence is space interest. Talks of rovers on the moon, a long history of Mars rovers, and talks of a manned mission to mars, or even just a return to the moon have all struck up interest. My only worry, is how long will the hype last. It's a train that needs constant fuel to keep rolling. Space takes a lot of fuel, as we all know. :D

* IAU can go and suc***STATIC NOISES*** ***Sounds of a struggle*** ***punches being thrown*** ***Oh dear GOD! Not the face!*** :0.0: :cool:

Seriously though, the ESA did EVERYTHING right, as far as making the world care about a washing machine with faulty harpoons and a winged SUV floating around a snowball in space goes. For me, seeing the core dev team leave is an equally painful blow. I know there will be years of future research as scientists process the data Rosetta and Philae left behind... But it's all post process... There will never be a new piece of data from Rosetta. Ever. For me, seeing the original creative team leave, the people who came on board from the community... the best modders out there... All those different minds... left. No longer contributing to the core of the game. Past history leaves me worried if they even can continue their contributions... Can they still do mods, having left Squad? What did their contracts permit or prohibit. There is sadly, a precedent for this fear. So yeah... For me, I feel this is very equivalent to KSP's version of primary signal loss... The original stream of creativity has ended. The signal is lost... End transmission. There will still be new minds working on things, and they may come up with great new ideas, but I feel like we've lost a bit too much this week. There is a core familiarity with anything you create... Anyone new will not have that core understanding. They'll have to learn from scratch.

I just hope that they can.

9 hours ago, Victor3 said:

I am only wishing for one thing, right now, Santa Kerman. A revamp of career mode. Listen...the crew does a great job and I love this simulation...I am not here to whine and complain by any means. BUT (LOL) I have had to give up on career mode because the contracts that I get are just not feasible. Career mode does not supply enough contracts, at my level of ability, science and funds, to make it doable? For instance, I do one or two contracts in Kerbin orbit, not nearly enough to build science, experience and funds for an orbit of Mun or Minmus, but that is what my next contracts call for? I just want more than enough contracts, that are doable at my level, so I can build the needed science, experience and funds to move up to the next level of flight difficulty.

I have been playing in Science mode and I am completely researched on all science except one...after completing one orbital flight of Duna. That seems like the exact opposite of Career mode...no challenge versus too much challenge?

Anywho, please keep up the good work, gang. If it continues I expect a letter of intent to divorce from my wife's lawyer as I am WAY behind on the "honey do" list. :rolleyes:

I always play career these days. Sandbox is utterly boring with no science and no contracts. Sandbox would be TONS better if it still gave you contracts and you could still transmit science... It'd just be like a score though, a rating of how far you've come.

I... Do love rescues too. Rendezvous is second nature to me now (it's great practice!), and it's free Kerbalnauts! Even in science mode, I think contracts should still be available, if anything to drive your rep and provide occasional science boosts. A flat 1 science could replace any finance or rep only contract.

As far as my next play through is concerned, in 1.2... I think I'm gonna set science returns to somewhere between 25-50%, but include an initial "pool" of starting science. Basically clear the abysmal early grind for the basics (i've done basic early tech to death)... but then have to TRULY explore the solar system to actually max out the tech tree, and also force early achievements to be done with early tech (but not stoopid early).

I think my current 1.0.x play through is set at 80% science returns. I was making a pretty good clip through the tech tree, and like you, I've been to Eve and Gilly, and Duna and Ike already, with just probes. The tech tree DOES annoy me though... I KNOW things like RTGs are old tech. We used them on the Voyager probes in 1977, and even on the Apollo LM descent stage (the RTG stays behind on the moon, powering a number of long term experiments left behind)... RTGs should be VERY costly, money wise (they DO sorta require enriched Plutonium), but be available earlier. Ion engines took a long time to implement... 1997, I think, so they do belong late in the tech tree. NERVs are fine late too... Do we even have that kind of tech at all? Earlier RTG tech would make long distance probes feasible. You could get very good early game science boosts by flinging a probe passed Jool or Eeloo, but it'd be very costly, money wise, with very one shot science returns, unless you can use gravity assists to conserve fuel and slingshot from one body to another. That'd let a limited fuel/monoprop supply get you a couple science readings from multiple far off bodies.

I also plan to install OPM, so I REALLY want to still NEED to be earning science to get out to planets link Plock, Neidon, Urlum, or Sarnus... I don't even want to max my tech tree when i reach Jool.

Edited by richfiles

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

NERVs are fine late too... Do we even have that kind of tech at all?

We tested some in the 60's. Also nuclear thermal turbojets. And nuclear artillery. And all kinds of nuclear shenanigans.
The 60's were almost as good as today for the SCIENCE! and stuff.

10 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

We tested some in the 60's. Also nuclear thermal turbojets. And nuclear artillery. And all kinds of nuclear shenanigans.

Main issue with NERV is that you need an decent heavy payload for it. 
Same as in KSP, you don't use LV-N for an small probe, it start making sense if you want to send an many ton probe to Jupiter or an manned moon landing. 

9 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Ah, the atomic age... What a time...
Remember folks... someone once proposed Project Orion... Lets ride nuclear bombs through space, and see if Coca-Cola will help us design a nuke dispenser for us.
The NERV is is downright tame in comparison.

What can we conclude form this... The US government's crackdown on drugs is probably because they learned from personal experience! :D

Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear is ready! We’re polishing the final details of this update and we’ll be releasing it next Tuesday, October, 11th.

"is ready""releasing it next Tuesday"... well that's an oddly-worded way of saying "it'll be ready next Tuesday"! C u next tuesday so.

Now that all the original talent have left and/or been terminated, it looks like Squad is reverting firmly back to their old Marketing Company roots.

Edited by Liquid

3 hours ago, richfiles said:

Ah, the atomic age... What a time...
Remember folks... someone once proposed Project Orion... Lets ride nuclear bombs through space, and see if Coca-Cola will help us design a nuke dispenser for us.
The NERV is is downright tame in comparison.

What can we conclude form this... The US government's crackdown on drugs is probably because they learned from personal experience! :D

LOL, high probability, except the, nuke cola dispenser, design looks more like multiple drum magazines so more like an cannon design. 
makes sense as cola machines are not designed to operate with multiple g vibrations. 

It's been a while since I posted in these forums, perhaps it's time.

I've been playing with the pre-release and so far my impression is very favorable.  Maybe it's just the lack of mods, but it seems to perform much more smoothly on my aging system than the previous couple releases.  The announcement of the official release date a week in advance is also a nice [baby] step in the right direction, IMHO.  I'm hoping the official release and will go smoothly for all our sakes!

I also looked at the current readme file and must say that's an impressive list of updates/fixes for 1.2!  Well done Squad!

It's interesting to see all the different opinions about the turnover in the development staff, and am a little surprised by some of the negative posts.  I think it's good for the product to have new people come in and look at it from a fresh perspective.  I hope that they left for better situations and wish them well.  It's kind of the nature of business today that there is turnover and sometimes in large groups, and Mexico is one of those places where IT opportunities are just beginning to expand rapidly, so I would not read anything sinister into their departures just yet.  Ok - that's off topic, so I'll stop.

Thanks for all of the fixes, Squad!  My landing gears are finally not exploding on contact!

Danny

On 05/10/2016 at 9:25 AM, klgraham1013 said:

Well, if I'm reading what they just said loud and clear, it seems the mass influx of new developers is leading to more free updates and possible expansion packs.  Along with the possibility of the game moving to other platforms.

edit:  I take that back.  Everyone just left.

Presonally, I'm looking forward to Kerbal Cart Racer.

Oh, please, yes.

Shouldn't that just be Kerbal Kart.

And yes this is what I have fingers crossed for... build your own karts race them vs AI as early access, by release multi-player racing and terraforming for making your own tracks. Which then sets up for KSP 2 with mutli-player and multi bases with the terraforming.

8 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Which then sets up for KSP 2 with mutli-player and multi bases with the terraforming.

I think this would work quite well as a "KSP 2."  It could be almost a tycoon-style game where the goal is to colonize other planets, while not replacing the current KSP

On 10/8/2016 at 3:20 AM, mattinoz said:

build your own karts race them vs AI as early access, by release multi-player racing and terraforming for making your own tracks. Which then sets up for KSP 2 with mutli-player and multi bases with the terraforming.

Sounds exactly like what Astroneer is shaping up to be, but without the relative realism of KSP.

On 10/5/2016 at 6:42 PM, Omega563 said:

One of the things I like about Kerbal Space Program is that it all comes in one package. I hope these expansion packs are part of the game for everyone and not just those that can pay for additional features, not to do so would only serve to distance yourself from the community.

Can't see how it would be any different to players using different mods to play the game. We've been doing that for years and are still here as a community.

I've got no problem paying a reasonable amount for DLC additions if they add to the depth of the game and fund its continued development or indeed that of KSP2 at some point in the future. I'm sure the price will be reasonable (as it is for the main game) and if you can't afford it right away then it will appear in sales often just as the main game does now. 

To my findings it's been at around 1:00 to 2:00 PST. Please don't take this as an official reading and be upset if it isn't out by then, but I'm hoping for it to be here in 2-3 hours.

EDIT: I forgot it releases 10/11, not 10/10. It should be out around 2:00PM tomorrow, PST.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.