KSP the Antidepressant

Choctofliatrio2.0

(Note, I'm not advising KSP actually treats depression, I just wanted a nice-sounding title)

So it's been a pretty rough day for me, and wasn't exactly sure how to feel better. I fired up KSP and continued my new career. Even launching a few simple part tests helped. Stressing over mission details takes priority over stressing over real life, I've noticed. Has anybody else experienced this? Not being able to feel sad playing KSP, because there's just too many other things to think about?

Gaming in general has always been a panacea for me.  I get to kill things (more or less) without  repercussions, and generally deal with RL stresses on a modest scale.  KSP is one of those games that can help make me laugh as well.

I will always remember the one Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode called "The Abandoned," where in Odo instructed a new Jem'Hadar on the holodeck:

"In here, you can indulge yourself.  You can let your instincts take over.  Fight until you're ready to stop, but at a price.  Out there, you have to control yourself.  You have to learn restraint.  Learn how to live peacefully among other races, regardless of how you may feel.  Learn to contain your feelings of aggression and violence."

I actually teach my son that computer gaming can be his outlet for anger and depression, but the moment he re-enters the real world, he has to learn to control that anger and depression.

Edited by wired2thenet

@Choctofliatrio2.0

Yes, I to lose all my depression I obtain during the day when I get back home, launch a rocket with a max 12G acceleration and Jebediah is still laughing with that sweet and joyfull expression on his face.

BTW,

Kalium,
Sulphur and,
Potassium

^^May also do the trick.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

The way I see it, no matter how bad your day is in real life, there's always that little universe you can escape to. I can't think of anything more stress relieving than having an entire solar system to your disposal, and having the ability to explore every bit of it. 

9 hours ago, wired2thenet said:

I actually teach my son that computer gaming can be his outlet for anger and depression, but the moment he re-enters the real world, he has to learn to control that anger and depression.

^ Parenting done right!

I'll actually chime in on this, I was hospitalized a little over two years ago for three days due to debilitating headaches, nausea and hallucinations.
I was sent home while they ran all of the tests, ended up dropping out of of college, and moving in with my parents.
It was understandingly a very rough time for me. I had to deal with thoughts of impending doom, losing my license, and more depressing stuff. 

My little brother convinced me to "help" him build rockets. After I realized he was talking about a video game, I crawled over to him and spent the next probably six hours designing a ridiculous rocket to reach the moon in (lol) one stage. 

I eventually got a diagnosis and got treatment, still deal with some issues occasionally but I am doing much better. I definitely kredit KSP with distracting me during that agonizing month where I couldn't do anything.

So yeah...KSP can cure depression and more. :P  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.