KAL 9000

1.3 - What will it have?

216 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, PilotMax said:

In-situ base building. 

Yes Yes Yes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant be certain but i think a likely feature will be the planned grafix overhaul (its not like prokjet is the only person on earth who can create models and texture them).  At the minimum i expect the new rocket parts that are already done (honestly i dont even get why they werent included in 1.2, they are model changes only, once done might as well release em, look much better then what we have atm).

 

Anyways, the only 2 things that i consider essential are bugfixes and performance improvements, the stock game has enough variety that (at least in my opinion) 90% of anything you want to do can be done with no mods at all.  Only part mods i actually use right now is the robotics mod and KIS/KAS, and the only reason for them is for the occasional articulated robotic monstrosity and KIS/KAS for orbital repairs and construction.  STock visual improvements would be welcome but not exactly required since we have EVE and scatterer which get the job done even if they have their share of bugs and issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for orbital telescopes and cameras, life support, and better graphics.

I would say multiplayer should wait for further development, but the game's been out for 4 years, so putting it off any longer wouldn't make much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More solar panels!

 

 

oh and goats don't forget about the goats

goats are life i love goats

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff. And things! Lots of shiny things. I love shiny things, as do my cats. Makes for a lively evening of kitchen hockey. And spatial-temporal hyperlinks. OK, I made that last one up because I didn't want to say "thingamajigs".

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, panzer1b said:

At the minimum i expect the new rocket parts that are already done (honestly i dont even get why they werent included in 1.2, they are model changes only, once done might as well release em, look much better then what we have atm).

Well the parts could also include some new shader / shadowmaps which aren't ready just yet. Or they want to also make flame lighting changes and engine lights ready for a succesful introducion. I don't know.:blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind if multiplayer would be paid DLC or some kind of KSPnet like blizzard battlenet, where you have to pay monthly fee to login and play on official servers... but paid DLC with additional parts or better graphics, weather or any other new content type... seems stupid idea for KSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on the logistical side of multiplayer:

Squad would need increased server hardware and connectivity

Squad would need enough staff to:

write/maintain the code to run it

keep the servers up 24/7/365

keep the servers secure

deal with monthly billing issues

Optional: babysit and troll hunt

It's not as simple as "just add multiplayer" because it adds a whole new department of staff and machines. I imagine there are services that can host commercial heavy duty server needs, but I also imagine they aren't exactly cheap. There are a lot of factors outside of actual play to consider. After all of that, would MP even be popular enough to go through all of this? It's a tough call.

 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darnok said:

paid DLC with additional parts or better graphics, weather or any other new content type... seems stupid idea for KSP.

Why? I agree that graphics and weather should come in free updates, but why no for every other DLC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

I'm hoping for orbital telescopes and cameras, life support, and better graphics.

I would say multiplayer should wait for further development, but the game's been out for 4 years, so putting it off any longer wouldn't make much sense.

Actually putting it off indefinitely makes a lot of sense. KSP should be a single player only game. :D

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darnok said:

I wouldn't mind if multiplayer would be paid DLC or some kind of KSPnet like blizzard battlenet, where you have to pay monthly fee to login and play on official servers... but paid DLC with additional parts or better graphics, weather or any other new content type... seems stupid idea for KSP.

I absolutely HATE pay to play sort of games, i dont mind forking over a one time fee (which id be more then glad to give squad as they have given me way more then the game's money worth of entertainment and honestly deserve something more for it imo), but i just hate subscriptions period.

As for your second statement, i have to agree since payed for parts would split the community too much.  That and it would most likely not be very popular on PC since 90% of every recent feature (or parts pack) has been done before in a mod.  A great example is the mk2 and mk3 parts pack, it already existed in a slightly different form as B9 (and im pretty sure a slew of other mods too) and while i like the in game implementation (and thus nolonger use B9 as i dont need it), had those parst been pay to obtain, id have just settled for the mods which to a degree had more options available.  Same with the new probe core connection thing, there was RT which did the exact same thing (and had more in depth options if you wanted them).  Even if squad was to release payed for DLC parts, i see very little reason for people to start giving them money for it since i highly doubt there isnt a mod for it (perhaps feasable on the console versions, not so much pc).

MP as DLC would make sense (since its both not present in any decent mods and is a very large scope change from teh original game).  Virtually anything else makes no sense financially to sell since people can probably get it (or something reasonably similar) with mods.  Everything from graphics improvements, to part packs of almost every possible function have already been made and at least in my case, why pay for something when a free alternative will do you just as well (and because squad deserves money isnt going to fly with enough people to make it financially sound).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

My thoughts on the logistical side of multiplayer:

Squad would need increased server hardware and connectivity

Squad would need enough staff to:

write/maintain the code to run it

keep the servers up 24/7/365

keep the servers secure

deal with monthly billing issues

Optional: babysit and troll hunt

I always feel old when I don't even consider "multiplayer" mode including 24x7 servers.

But in my defense in this case, I think that would be a terrible way to do KSP multiplayer. There should be local servers and Squad should have zero interaction with them. Like Minecraft. Okay, Minecraft has "official" servers but you don't need to use them, and all they are is the basic server you can run on your own, running on their hardware somewhere.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. If multiplayer, then LAN party style only.

What will there be? Tweaks and adjustments. Moar pretty, perhaps.

What would I like? A way to introduce automation gradually. Once you've done a few hundred launches (or even just ten or so of the same .craft), it gets old. So a science item to automate that. Once you can land on the Mun reliably, autoland. Once  you can dock efficiently, autodock.  Mission planning and execution.  Or just make kOS stock and let you figure it all out for yourself.

And, cameras and telescopes, and a mission museum.  Also a llama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen good suggestions already. Multiplayer, yes please: If only LAN or direct connection internet play, which is easier to maintain. Also wish for the Porkjetparts to become stock, I don't see why they aren't stock atm. Also, a visual upgrade would be nice as well as more options for basebuilding.

And perhaps: Cities and airports maybeh?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ability to create proper space stations and habitats. Life support to go with it. Creating our own missions would be cool too with a share feature to share with other players.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others have said on here, parts for cool-looking, consistent stations and habitats.  I'm also gonna throw my dream of other runways around Kerbin and maybe another 1 or 2 launchpads in here too.  :D
(Disclaimer - I know the other locations thing is already implemented as a mod, but would be nice to see it as stock)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're just throwing out ideas: I'd like to see more music.

KSP has a pretty epic title screen theme, good music at the Space Center facilities, and... two music tracks for everything space. Visit all the facilities once, and spend a few minutes outside of Kerbin's atmosphere, then - to my knowledge - you'll have heard all the music in the game.

What about a little theme for the Mun? Music that only plays around Minmus? Something epic and grand when entering Jool's SOI? Music for the surface of Duna? Eerie music that plays when you are close to anomalies? Something for blazing re-entries? KSP has a lot of dramatic or epic situations that could be underscored by a musical soundtrack. And it has a great fan community that would probably love to aid the composition of these tracks.

9 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With ISRU, mobile labs and the recent relay networks, it's possible to build a pretty good infrastructure outside of Kerbin, and the way forward from this in my opinion are mobile construction bays/yards, especially for long multipurpose missions to Jool and Eelo. I think it could be pretty easily implemented into the game. You have an inflatable mobile VAB that has energy, cooling, comms and personnel requirements (the more engineers you have on site the faster you can build things, and the more scientists you have present the faster you can upgrade the VAB), and you can put a limited number of these in the solar system (to not go overboard).

  • You start out with a small VAB with basic printers that can manufacture things like simple solar panels, monoprop tanks, shortrange comms etc. As you upgrade the VAB (with money and resources), the structure gets bigger and faster and you're able to build larger fuel tanks, drone cores and engines. Up to a limit, though. Kerbin is still the primary launch site, so the most complex parts will still have to come from there.
  • The same way you extract fuels from ore you now extract carbon compounds (for stuff that need polymers) and metals from the ore, and they are put in separate holding tanks on your mining vessel after extraction. These two new resources are used when building components and upgrading your mobile VAB.
  • It's important where you put your VAB. You can either put it down on the ground of the planet/moon where it is close to the resources, but you will have to build a simple launch pad and won't be able to build some of the heavier stuff, or you can put it in orbit, where it's easier to assemble heavier stuff, but harder to reach resources. Manually transporting resources to orbit would get tedious very fast, so an easy way to prevent this would be to establish a logistics link to the miner on the surface: basically, you put a mining vessel on the ground, mine for resources, get it back into orbit a couple of times and then the game gives you a stream of resources automatically (to prevent glitches, problems etc the mining vessel would remain on the ground but you'd still get resources as if you did every run yourself). To balance things out the inflow of resources to a VAB in orbit (even with several mining vessels) would be noticeably lower than to a VAB on the ground.
  • A couple of other things that a mobile VAB could do but wouldn't be a priority in my opinion: parking an existing vessel near it in order to reposition components, add new stuff, or cannibalize them for resources.

I'm not a developer, so I don't know how much work would go into implementing these changes into the game, but the new stuff would be an inflatable dome/bubble that when deflated can be shipped to its destination on a regular rocket, a smaller and reskinned version of the VAB when going to the construction screen, one or two reskinned ore containers for the new resources, and a link (visible in the tracking station) between your VAB and mining vessel. This could be a good basis for further colonization of other planets and moons.

Apart from the mobile VAB another new thing I'd like to see is one more science experiment: a space telescope. Depending on where in the Kerbol system you are, and in which direction the telescope is facing you get different results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In order from more-likely to less-likely:

Hoses.  Goddamn, we can explore the whole solar system, but we don't have hose technology?  Especially with the addition of stock ISRU.  Using the klaw for ground ops is a pain in the behind.

As someone who loves the NERVA engine, I would like to see a set of 2.5m LF tanks.  Having to use the LFO tanks minus the O is really frustrating, seeing as how ~half the volume is totally unused.  Sure, you can make do with the Mk2/Mk3 LF tanks, but they don't quite have the same looks as the cylindrical 2.5m parts.  On the topic of nuclear parts, a 2.5m NTR would be nice, something with a decent amount of thrust.  Of course, a gas-core nuclear rocket would be a fun end-game motor, but that may be a little too speculative for the devs to consider adding.  

Movable parts.  I don't have any experience with mods that do this, but having robot arms and cranes would seem make base construction so much better.

More minable resources and some new resource converters. Minable ice / pumpable water for electrolysis, collectable CO2 for NERVA use, plant growth or conversion in to methane, different grades of ores to return different materials.  Probably not practical until the life support update, which will put a much larger strain on consumable resources making ISRU necesary.

Something that might be nice, that I haven't seen anyone mention yet would be radiation.  This would probably go alongside a life support update because we would need a system for tracking the status of individual kerbals (food, water, sanity, acute / lifetime radiation doses etc.).  Something akin to Van Allen belts around Kerbin and Jool, solar flares and cosmic rays, and the NERVA should be radioactive in some form or another.  This would limit the utility of the NERVA to orbit-orbit operations.  A variable-radius shadow shield would be a necessity, as well as some form of medical bay for reducing the effects of radiation poisoning.  Remember, water has a great HVT so that could provide radshielding as well.  Perhaps a set of standalone nuclear reactors as well?

Ideally I would like to see trojan points, but that has seen a bunch of discussion recently and given how KSP's physics works that is probably a pipe dream.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/10/2016 at 5:54 PM, natsirt721 said:

In order from more-likely to less-likely:

Hoses.  Goddamn, we can explore the whole solar system, but we don't have hose technology?  Especially with the addition of stock ISRU.  Using the klaw for ground ops is a pain in the behind.

As someone who loves the NERVA engine, I would like to see a set of 2.5m LF tanks.  Having to use the LFO tanks minus the O is really frustrating, seeing as how ~half the volume is totally unused.  Sure, you can make do with the Mk2/Mk3 LF tanks, but they don't quite have the same looks as the cylindrical 2.5m parts.  On the topic of nuclear parts, a 2.5m NTR would be nice, something with a decent amount of thrust.  Of course, a gas-core nuclear rocket would be a fun end-game motor, but that may be a little too speculative for the devs to consider adding.  

Movable parts.  I don't have any experience with mods that do this, but having robot arms and cranes would seem make base construction so much better.

More minable resources and some new resource converters. Minable ice / pumpable water for electrolysis, collectable CO2 for NERVA use, plant growth or conversion in to methane, different grades of ores to return different materials.  Probably not practical until the life support update, which will put a much larger strain on consumable resources making ISRU necesary.

Something that might be nice, that I haven't seen anyone mention yet would be radiation.  This would probably go alongside a life support update because we would need a system for tracking the status of individual kerbals (food, water, sanity, acute / lifetime radiation doses etc.).  Something akin to Van Allen belts around Kerbin and Jool, solar flares and cosmic rays, and the NERVA should be radioactive in some form or another.  This would limit the utility of the NERVA to orbit-orbit operations.  A variable-radius shadow shield would be a necessity, as well as some form of medical bay for reducing the effects of radiation poisoning.  Remember, water has a great HVT so that could provide radshielding as well.  Perhaps a set of standalone nuclear reactors as well?

Ideally I would like to see trojan points, but that has seen a bunch of discussion recently and given how KSP's physics works that is probably a pipe dream.

Yes yes yes! I haven't bought the game yet BECAUSE it doesn't have life support or many resources that you can mine. I don't want to have to rely on mods, rather have it in the vanilla game. Would really enjoy mining if you could also build your own parts for cheaper then premade parts among the things you have said above. Building space stations piece by tiny piece or with large parts should be an option. Building it piece by piece can be the cheaper one while having larger parts already built would be the more expensive choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23.10.2016 at 6:58 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I always feel old when I don't even consider "multiplayer" mode including 24x7 servers.

But in my defense in this case, I think that would be a terrible way to do KSP multiplayer. There should be local servers and Squad should have zero interaction with them. Like Minecraft. Okay, Minecraft has "official" servers but you don't need to use them, and all they are is the basic server you can run on your own, running on their hardware somewhere.

Agree, multiplayer servers with 24x7 required for MMO, its nice for competitive play like cs or cod as you can always find someone to play with, developers also like them as they works as always on drm, this has made local multiplayer and private servers rarer however for an game like ksp cooprative play with friends is the only viable play style, time warp issues for one require players to sync a bit or stuff get boring. They might have an server but it would act mostly as an link to let players behind firwalls play together. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GP2, plox. I want STOCK planets. I really wish that I shouldn't have to download mods to add planets. Even GP2 with like 3 more moons would be good enough for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will have an automatic function that bans all users who ask what 1.4 will have.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main consideration for Squad will always be "what makes the game more interesting so more people will buy it".

When considering what 1.3 could contain you should also consider what DLC's could contain (i.e. what would you be willing to pay for).

Keeping those two things in mind, i frankly doubt that multiplayer will somedays be a 'stock' feature. If it ever becomes part of KSP, it most probably will be as a DLC. It probably is a feature many people will consider paying for.

Extra parts? Well, perhaps one or two but not many. The community has already developed so many parts that there's no real need for it (with the exception of science instruments). The player can choose whatever mod(s) he/she likes and add it to the stock game.

More music? I don't think so. Perhaps more control on the music will be a DLC (but it is doubtfull). Personally, I usually turn off the music completely in the game.

Adding a competitor which can complete missions which sometimes can "steal your contracts", leaving the the user with only losses. Once again a possible DLC.

Visual improvements (clouds etc.)? Once again a possible DLC.

So what could be in 1.3?

Iife-support is probable. Life support has been developed by more than one modmaker, thereby proving it is feasible to integrate it into the game. It enhances the game and probably is an easy solution to provide more challenges to the game.

(Medical) condition. During space missions everything degrades. The health of kerbonauts, the condition (and reliability) of parts etc. This would extend the challenges of the game, the science part and will add more randomness to the game. No matter what you do, something might go wrong during any mission (apollo 13 scenarios). (But this could be a DLC as well).

Edited by TheCardinal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCardinal said:

Visual improvements (clouds etc.)? Once again a possible DLC.

 

why DLC ? The visual mods that are currently available are only about atmosphere, shaders... (almost) no mod for terrain overhaul or anything like that. The terrain is really boring in KSP. I mean I don't want to see an Outerra Kerbin but hey ! A terrain overhaul would be awesome ! Together with some new game dimensions. The main consideration for Squad, apart from "what makes the game more interesting so more people will buy it" is also "do not steal the modders work".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now