The Grand KSP 1.2 Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

Anyone getting freezing issues with 1.2.1? I'd not been having any stability issues with 1.2, but since 1.2.1 I've had several full system freezes, only option was to hit reset.  I've run stress tests on my machine and they don't throw up any issues, just wondering if anyone else has had system freezes since 1.2.1.

I swear the Mun EVA gravity bug is back. That, or it's one of the mods I have installed that I didn't a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Oh god it's even WORSE. I went on an EVA near a monolith and now Bob seems to be a neutrino or something, because he will not fall toward the Mun and when I tried to edit him onto Kerbin, he just starts floating away like gravity doesn't exist. And at a pretty high speed, too. RCS does nothing.

Edited by silvermistshadow

10 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I've noticed a strange "event" that has just started happening since 1.2.1. As many know, I do use a lot of rovers and ground vehicles in my fan fic. I was excited with the wheel changes in 1.2, but this morning, as I was driving a rover made with the Buffalo mod from @Angel-125 to stage some shots, I crossed a seam in the terrain (the forest to the NW of KSC). The seam was visible (not a big concern at this point) but as the rover tried to cross over the ground terrain seam - BOOM! The rover flipped over and came down hard on its top.

I repeated the experience using stock wheels - and had the exact same result. I even reverted and purposely looked for seams to test it on. Sure enough, once you are away from the peninsula, the seems become an explosive obstacle.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

All you have to do is to copy the entire KSP folder in the Steam directory then paste it somewhere else, such as the My Documents folder or the like. I copied 1.0.5 and 1.1.3 to the desktop, plopped on an icon on the desktop, and voila - I can play either version or the Steam updated one.

If you need an additional talk-through or help, let me know.

Thanks for the help!  Yeah I just reverted to 1.1.3 and then back up to 1.2.1 and all is well.  I'm even running 3 mods that aren't yet supported and no crashes.  I was just really bummed because I had just put together a nice Apollo mission stack (sort of...ya know...the Kerbal interpretation) and really wanted to try it out.  Well I just finished the mission and no worries.  A few little bugs here and there but nothing major. Valentina and Bob are leveled up now and so Jeb and everyone can go to Duna.

Thanks again adsii1970...and thanks to the Devs for an awesome game!  (though you'll be villains again the next time I have a problem...haha)

Ran into 2 issues last night that i thought were fixed with 1.2 and with the release of 1.2.1 are back now. Only happened once and i did not try to recreate it but here they are. 1. Changes to orbit during SOI shifts. 2. sliding up/down ladders. Anyone else experience any of these things still?

I'm still having some weird issue where the game freezes when I reach 2600m..  At first I thought it was a ship design issue so I massively simplified the whole thing.  And it just explodes. 

Within the course of one second everything is destroyed instantly.  So I don't think it's a normal failure due to a design flaw.  It's some weird rendering clownery.

I did manage to get beyond this distance by turning gravity off and basically drifting past that point.  So I don't know what the deal is, but any normal launch just explodes at that point.  I'm using the 64bit version so maybe that's the problem?

Nope.  64bit isn't the problem either.  Same freezing and hyper-exploding.  The parts even blast apart at like mach3.

Edited by Znath

God, I can't remember.  Did I test things after this update?  I honestly don't remember.  The past months have been such a blur!

I still owe you guys a new thing that's very big with lots of pictures of it flying and/or kerploding.  Maybe this update will make bigger stuff possible.

Edited by Whackjob

On 11/2/2016 at 1:06 PM, adsii1970 said:

... I crossed a seam in the terrain (the forest to the NW of KSC). The seam was visible (not a big concern at this point) but as the rover tried to cross over the ground terrain seam - BOOM! The rover flipped over and came down hard on its top. ...

I have seen several seams here and there on Kerbin, but I've not actually encountered them yet. Not looking forward to this. I have run into seams on Minmus, both in past versions and the current v1.2.1 version. They are dangerous. The only hope you have with them is to drive (your rover) along it until you find an area where the gap is both level and minimal... then make your crossing there.

On 11/2/2016 at 4:45 PM, katateochi said:

Anyone getting freezing issues with 1.2.1? I'd not been having any stability issues with 1.2, but since 1.2.1 I've had several full system freezes, only option was to hit reset.  I've run stress tests on my machine and they don't throw up any issues, just wondering if anyone else has had system freezes since 1.2.1.

I'm not getting complete system freezes, but I am getting clockwork 'pauses'... as if excessive garbage collection is occurring. It is not very consistent, and varies with the ship I'm piloting. The pause can occur anywhere from every 1 to 3 or more seconds, and last an eighth or quarter second or more in duration. It is VERY annoying trying to pilot a ship during launch or docking maneuvers in the midst of this. It might be attributed to one of the mods I'm using. I've not investigated that yet. Something to do.

My mods: Chatterer, HullcamVDS_Continued, Kerbal_Alarm_Clock, Module_Manager, SCANsat, and x-science.

Are you running vanilla, or with mods also?

On 11/4/2016 at 5:33 PM, Leafbaron said:

... 2. sliding up/down ladders. Anyone else experience any of these things still?

Yes, ladders. However, it is far less pronounced than in the past.

On 11/9/2016 at 5:13 PM, adsii1970 said:

Is anyone having issues with the fairings in 1.2.1? I cannot seem to get them to "lock" when I hit the left mouse button. Never had this issue in 1.1.3...

Yes and No. I find on occasion that it can be 'stubborn', requiring repeated insistent clicks.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

I'm not getting complete system freezes, but I am getting clockwork 'pauses'... as if excessive garbage collection is occurring. It is not very consistent, and varies with the ship I'm piloting. The pause can occur anywhere from every 1 to 3 or more seconds, and last an eighth or quarter second or more in duration. It is VERY annoying trying to pilot a ship during launch or docking maneuvers in the midst of this. It might be attributed to one of the mods I'm using. I've not investigated that yet. Something to do.

My mods: Chatterer, HullcamVDS_Continued, Kerbal_Alarm_Clock, Module_Manager, SCANsat, and x-science.

Are you running vanilla, or with mods also?

I'm putting my whole system freeze down to my computer having a bad day, it happened several times that day and for no apparent reason it's fixed itself and hasn't happened since (I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen!).
But the periodical freezes....yeah... It is due garbage collection and even though work has been done to reduce the amount of garbage produced per frame it's still a noticeable problem, even in a pure stock install (and then it's generally worse with higher part counts). With mods it's much more apparent and some mods are worse than others for it.  But you should look at @Padishar's awesome memgraph mod, it can reduce the frequency of stuttering a lot (and that's with quite a few mods).

Edited by katateochi

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎02 at 4:45 PM, katateochi said:

I'm getting them in 1.2 here... Complete lock-ups.

I thought it was my rig, but since you say you have the same thing, I am not crazy. :)
It usually occur 1 maybe 2 hours in the game without a scene change, and no error output log either.

7 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I thought it was my rig, but since you say you have the same thing, I am not crazy. :)
It usually occur 1 maybe 2 hours in the game without a scene change, and no error output log either.

Just a thought, but maybe you should check the energy saving options on your system.
Perhaps the freezes occur when such an option kicks in.

7 hours ago, Francois424 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that a piece of user-land software simply should not be able to do that.

A system lock-up can almost always (note almost) be tracked to hardware or driver issues.

So when an update to a normal program suddenly appears to do such things it's because it triggers something that is broken somewhere else in the system.

As in heat issues, power supply issues, flaky memory or a driver bug.

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

One thing to keep in mind is that a piece of user-land software simply should not be able to do that.

A system lock-up can almost always (note almost) be tracked to hardware or driver issues.

So when an update to a normal program suddenly appears to do such things it's because it triggers something that is broken somewhere else in the system.

As in heat issues, power supply issues, flaky memory or a driver bug.

first two we tought over here, we're investigating but not happing that often.  at most once a week

23 hours ago, katateochi said:

... you should look at @Padishar's awesome memgraph mod, it can reduce the frequency of stuttering a lot (and that's with quite a few mods).

(Quoted you again, yes I did.)

I downloaded and installed that mod. Wow. Very interesting results. It appears to me that engines especially and aerodynamic effects (those little cloud puffs when going supersonic) during liftoffs are the worst of offenders. The heap allocation increase is not permanent I'll take it, and would have to run this with each time I start the game again? Clearly this one is on the devs. Do you think I should post my test images in the mod's thread? Is it worth my time and effort? Running the test / adjustment only provided minor relief... but it was none-the-less an increase in performance. Thanks again for the tip.

13 hours ago, Daveroski said:

Just a thought, but maybe you should check the energy saving options on your system.
Perhaps the freezes occur when such an option kicks in.

Being on a laptop, this was one of the first annoyances I encountered. The 'profile' for when it was plugged in was bad enough... pulling the plug and running on battery was ten times worse. Creating custom power management profiles is a must, especially evaluation of the 'advanced' options.

12 hours ago, LordFerret said:

The heap allocation increase is not permanent I'll take it, and would have to run this with each time I start the game again?

You can have it apply the heap padding automatically if you set applyPadding=true in its settings.cfg file. (I also set visible=false)

12 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Running the test / adjustment only provided minor relief... but it was none-the-less an increase in performance

You can mess around with how much padding is applied in the padheap.cfg file. Change the last line "total" to a higher value (if you've got the RAM for it).  It's default is 1GB, I've set mine to 2GB, the trade off is that the higher the value the longer the interval between stutters, but the larger the value the more pronounced the stutter is.  
I've also found that you need to periodically hit alt+END, which reapplies the padding, after doing something that's caused the game to get more stuttery. 

I figured out why my ship was exploding at 2600m, so I decided to redesign my main ship and this is the result.

J7bJwWg.png

I still get slippage occasionally, but I'm slamming the ground at high speed and not getting any more exploding or wheel failure.   Sooooo maybe it's cured?

I used the topic research function and don't find anything about.

Under 1.2.1 my Kerbals are unable to walk normally. All of them are dancing and vibrating on one leg with the head lowered and inclined to the left. But apart of that they advance at the same speed and I still haven't got any crash since I played with 1.2 and 1.2.1 for more than a month now (it's a personal record).

Can anyone confirm/deny if the "docking bug" (where a ship will not undock when requested) has been fixed in 1.2.1? I read the change log, at the top of this thread, and searched this forum but never found a definitive answer. Docking ports are mentioned several times in the change log...but it doesn't appear to say, in so many words, that it's been fixed?

Thank you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.