If Kerbals consume EC, how much?

If Kerbals consumed EC, how much?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If Kerbals consumed EC, how much?

• Less than 5 per minute
    • 5-10 per minute
    • 10-15 per minute
    • More than 15 per minute

Hello. I have been working on a simple life support mod and I was wondering, how much EC should a Kerbal consume while on EVA per minute? How much should they store? I am looking for something slightly realistic. The mod will only use EC as it is a no part-very simple life support mod. Thanks,

Benji13. 

Well, the Apollo Guidance Computer, Block II (which, to my mind, corresponds more-or-less to what the OKTO or HEX represents) used 70 watts power.

You could probably therefore extrapolate from that: 1 unit of electricity in KSP ≈ 50W over one minute = 3000 joules...

However, if you measure the power of the torque wheels I would imagine you'd find that a unit of electricity is worth far more than that.

I think what you need to consider is time spent in darkness. That's mostly going to be the time that kerbals will be without a way of generating power, and therefore they will need to consume a reasonable amount of charge without draining batteries completely. Whatever value you choose should force players to build vehicles with electric charge storage in mind, but it shouldn't be excessive so that something like a simple Mun base would need several tonnes worth of batteries to survive a night.

On 10/11/2016 at 5:20 PM, Benji13 said:

Hello. I have been working on a simple life support mod and I was wondering, how much EC should a Kerbal consume while on EVA per minute? How much should they store? I am looking for something slightly realistic. The mod will only use EC as it is a no part-very simple life support mod.

Well, TAC-LS is a life support mod that's been popular for quite a while, so it's a reasonable assumption that it's fairly appropriately balanced.  Kerbals use electricity in that mod.  You could see what they use there, perhaps that might be a good starting point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.