[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

33 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Hi everyone, small question : is it normal that from my KSC (ground) i only see poor 2D cloud ? is it due to the volumetric cloud limit of apparition ?

That's normal. The idea of Volumetric clouds is that they are visible when you pass through them (passing through 2D clouds would be passing through a flat surface, which looks poor).

5 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Ok, but is there a way to have very high quality 2D cloud ?

From the ground it's very sad :(

If you have an idea :wink:

Have you read the first post in this thread? See SVE.

29 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Ho yeah but i HAVE SVE XD. Sorry i didn't precise that. And it is still not enough :P

The cloud from high-mid altitude are OK, but from KSC looks horrible ...

that's the best you will get.

Hi @Waz...I hate to bug you guys (aka my mod heroes) but I would love some info on the questions I posted in the SVE thread pertaining to improving performance....maybe I should have posted here initially.  

Or...if the info is out there, please just point me to the source so I can review as I could not find this answered in either thread (and yes, I did peruse thru most pages of both threads and tried some searches as well with no luck).

Thanks in advance for any info! :)  

Edited by Red Stapler
spellingses

5 minutes ago, Red Stapler said:

Hi @Waz...I hate to bug you guys (aka my mod heroes) but I would love some info on the questions I posted in the SVE thread pertaining to improving performance....maybe I should have posted here initially.  

Or...if the info is out there, please just point me to the source so I can review as I could not find this answered in either thread (and yes, I did peruse thru most pages of both threads and tried some searches as well with no luck).

Thanks in advance for any info! :)  

I do remember you commenting on SVE but I was very busy at the time and couldn't respond. I must have let it slip my mind. The current settings in SVE are what I thought was the most bang for your buck. I am a really bad judge on performance though, as my computer scoffs at SVE. My reccomendation is to remove the polar snow node from the SVE cfg, if there is one. I can't remember and I'm not at a pc ATM. If you use scatterer, I would also recommend disabling the ocean shaders on the main menu (don't forget, it requires a restart). The ocean shaders are the most performance hungry aspect of Scatterer.

As for those two values in the cfgs that you brought up, they can indeed be decimals, however setting them too low will result in ugly visualS. Ultimately, it just takes a lot of fooling around to get a good mix of pleasing aesthetics and performance.

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I do remember you commenting on SVE but I was very busy at the time and couldn't respond. I must have let it slip my mind. The current settings in SVE are what I thought was the most bang for your buck. I am a really bad judge on performance though, as my computer scoffs at SVE. My reccomendation is to remove the polar snow node from the SVE cfg, if there is one. I can't remember and I'm not at a pc ATM. If you use scatterer, I would also recommend disabling the ocean shaders on the main menu (don't forget, it requires a restart). The ocean shaders are the most performance hungry aspect of Scatterer.

As for those two values in the cfgs that you brought up, they can indeed be decimals, however setting them too low will result in ugly visualS. Ultimately, it just takes a lot of fooling around to get a good mix of pleasing aesthetics and performance.

No problem, awesome & thank you Galileo!  I totally understand the busy thing, being a father of 2 I will need to either clone myself or invent a time machine soon to keep up with all the stuff they have going on. :)  

IIRC you removed the 'polar snow' node from the cfg file in one of your latest updates...I'll check tonight when I begin my tweaking. 

I'm just stoked to try some new stuff out tonight, thank you kindly for the info Mr. G!   Waz rules too! :cool:

1 hour ago, msnbcorp said:

Ho yeah but i HAVE SVE XD. Sorry i didn't precise that. And it is still not enough :P

I get that English isn't your first language, so maybe it's a translation error, but now you really just seem to be being rude, and adding a smilie doesn't change that.

5 hours ago, msnbcorp said:

Here is the general rule when it comes to the quality of any mod, since all are required to be open source: if you don't like it, then make it better. If you can't make it better, than be happy with what you have

Edited by Drew Kerman

19 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Here is the general rule when it comes to the quality of any mod, since all are required to be open source: if you don't like it, then make it better. If you can't make it better, than be happy with what you have

Of course, sorry my english is very low, so my writing could feeels like i'm rude. I didn't mean to :wink: .
I (try to) reformulate : i'm not a graphist, but if i want to find very high quality model of clouds for kerbal ... where could i search for it ? if you have any idea, i take it :wink:

Of course after testing it could be an adding for the original mod, it's the idea behind, not a request only for my little me :P . In fact i try to improve a lot the feeling from the surface of kerbin. I have made some work on it and i have tried several cloud models in the past. But none change the relative quality perceived from the ground.

It's why my first question.

Sorry again for the "rude feeling" of my question.

Edited by msnbcorp

23 hours ago, msnbcorp said:

Of course after testing it could be an adding for the original mod, it's the idea behind, not a request only for my little me :P . In fact i try to improve a lot the feeling from the surface of kerbin. I have made some work on it and i have tried several cloud models in the past. But none change the relative quality perceived from the ground.

I find SVE looks very good. Perhaps there's a problem with your install - post a picture and say what you think is bad about it and how it could be made better.

3 hours ago, Waz said:

I find SVE looks very good. Perhaps there's a problem with your install - post a picture and say what you think is bad about it and how it could be made better.

the rendering from the ground currently in my version (many thing on the ground, it's just Kerbal Konstruct stuff experimentations)

9664dc6fcb9894b7ecf3e84e53d78395.png

or this :

2fc5ac4e7f4a86331a21b592775ba140.png

In my opinion, and i don't know if it's the normal rendering with EVE+SVE, the cloud are very ... pixelised and blurry. Don't know exactly why. I have tested many thing (other clouds etc...) and this is the classic EVE+SVE.

Don't know exactly if it the intended rendering or if something is messed up...

I have seen screenshot on this topic and videos from top of cloud where the rendering is far from that so... don't really know ... in fact i work pretty much with terrain aspect of ksp and never considere the cloud rendering ^^

Thank you for helping :wink:

Edited by msnbcorp

the rendering from the ground currently in my version (many thing on the ground, it's just Kerbal Konstruct stuff experimentations)

9664dc6fcb9894b7ecf3e84e53d78395.png

or this :

2fc5ac4e7f4a86331a21b592775ba140.png

In my opinion, and i don't know if it's the normal rendering with EVE+SVE, the cloud are very ... pixelised and blurry. Don't know exactly why. I have tested many thing (other clouds etc...) and this is the classic EVE+SVE.

Don't know exactly if it the intended rendering or if something is messed up...

I have seen screenshot on this topic and videos from top of cloud where the rendering is far from that so... don't really know ... in fact i work pretty much with terrain aspect of ksp and never considere the cloud rendering ^^

Thank you for helping :wink:

That is just how SVE looks. It seems you are looking for hyper-realism, which you won't find in any visual mod KSP. There are limitations, one being the resolution of clouds. 8k is about as high as you can get. Even if you try a 64k texture, you will still see pixelation. Adding uv noise can help but I personally hate the way it looks, so I won't put it in SVE. 

From what I see in your screenshots, everything is working as intended. 

I trust you but some other users on this topic seems to have succeed with better rendering from the ground (at least from "one" ground :p) . Don't know exactly how ...

On 24/04/2017 at 1:47 PM, The White Guardian said:

What the Jebedaiah? I have a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB and playing with: 8K planet textures + 8K cloudmaps + 4K detail textures + 4K ringtexture + 4K sun texture + HD Sunflare + 1K surface textures + Scatterer + ocean shaders + 4K skybox textures in this image here:

7UKTXI2.png

No lag at all. I'm really wondering what the Kerman could make your PC lag so badly. Hell, I even run a second monitor on this thing.

Can you post a list of mods?

Edited by msnbcorp

I trust you but some other users on this topic seems to have succeed with better rendering from the ground (at least from "one" ground :p) . Don't know exactly how ...

That photo uses SVE...

there is a detail texture on the main cloud map. When you catch the right moment, it can look like that.

Edited by Galileo

Hum sorry, i don't mean to contrary you on your own mod but, honnestly i can't lie :P , i don't see here the same texturing quality for the rendering. Yes this is the same textures and it's SVE. But the rendering on this post seems to have the details less "faded/melted" than my KSC view ^^

36 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Hum sorry, i don't mean to contrary you on your own mod but, honnestly i can't lie :P , i don't see here the same texturing quality for the rendering. Yes this is the same textures and it's SVE. But the rendering on this post seems to have the details less "faded/melted" than my KSC view ^^

He caught the right moment in his screenshot. SVE is what it is. It's not going to get any better. You are more than welcome to make your own cloud pack and see how it turns out though

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

That photo uses SVE...

NONONONONO!

That's NOT, I can't stress this enough, NOT SVE or any other EVE pack. That's a photo taken from my currently-in-beta mod Evolution, for which I have created every texture myself. No third-party textures included. I get why you think it's SVE though, I learned that detail texture trick from SVE with lots of thanks. I did not take any textures though.

3 hours ago, msnbcorp said:

i don't see here the same texturing quality for the rendering. Yes this is the same textures and it's SVE.

Maybe that's due to cloud distance or detail settings? I'll compare the configs of SVE and Evolution. But this isn't SVE, and how those clouds look in the screenshot are as detailed as they always appear in Evolution. (In fact I'm even adding thunderstorms to Evolution, @Galileo would you like me to share what I came up with?)

hey @Waz are you aware the prop spinners are affected by cloud shadows? They darken as shadows pass over the aircraft. At least, the one for a propeller engine from Lack's Stock Extension mod is. I haven't really looked to see if it affects all prop spinner textures. Should I?

Edited by Drew Kerman

8 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

NONONONONO!

That's NOT, I can't stress this enough, NOT SVE or any other EVE pack. That's a photo taken from my currently-in-beta mod Evolution, for which I have created every texture myself. No third-party textures included. I get why you think it's SVE though, I learned that detail texture trick from SVE with lots of thanks. I did not take any textures though.

Maybe that's due to cloud distance or detail settings? I'll compare the configs of SVE and Evolution. But this isn't SVE, and how those clouds look in the screenshot are as detailed as they always appear in Evolution. (In fact I'm even adding thunderstorms to Evolution, @Galileo would you like me to share what I came up with?)

Maybe, but i didn't manage to find informations about the meaning of config parameter in EVE. If you have a source of information anywhere about these cfg parameter, i would be glad to read it :wink:

My though is that it's not the texturing resolution the problem. As on other planet or in flight on certains points we can see very very good cloud quality that are at the same distance. Yes i think it's more due to the parameters of rendering themselves. I have tried some change but without knowing it's not easy....

Maybe i should try your evolution settings/mods when it is available ^^

Edited by msnbcorp

2 hours ago, msnbcorp said:

Maybe i should try your evolution settings/mods when it is available ^^

Like I said - I'll do a comparison and see what you can try to change.

As for Evolution - writer @Disparia Books often streams beta-gameplay on his twitch account. Check out one of his streams to make sure it's something you'd like to run.

16 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

hey @Waz are you aware the prop spinners are affected by cloud shadows? They darken as shadows pass over the aircraft. At least, the one for a propeller engine from Lack's Stock Extension mod is. I haven't really looked to see if it affects all prop spinner textures. Should I?

The objects need to be in the TransparentFX layer in order to avoid being shadowed upon (in the current release), so most likely this is something Lack's Stock Extension needs to fix.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.