Is there a basic text editor mode for forum replies?

Kyrt Malthorn

What it says on the tin.

Basically, I'm limited to browsing KSP forums with my phone right now.  Across several (android) browsers I've had some weird issues when positing, apparently they stem from JavaScript heavy WYSIWYG editors and can crop up on many browser/keyboard combinations.

If there's a  basic mode I can't find it, but if there is, maybe there's a way to default to it? 

1 hour ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

If there's a  basic mode I can't find it, but if there is, maybe there's a way to default to it?

This was asked for repeatedly during the IPS rollout... but there's still no plain-text editor.
Seems all our IPS switch time complains about the WYSI(S)WYG editor post mangler fell on deaf ears.

There's too much heavy JS on this site - it's slow as molasses, and the ridiculous fade-in and unnecessary UI-bling on the activity streams often hangs Firefox, on both mobile and desktop.
And don't get me started on the horrific mess that is quoting doing anything on this forum on mobile...
I'd take phpBB over this IPS abomination any day, it's essentially unusable on mobile, and extremely frustrating in general.

Edited by steve_v

9 minutes ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

Come to think of it, quoting was a factor...

Yeah, if you try to quote in a mobile browser (tested in FF & stock Android) the editor post mangler goes berserk and traps the cursor in the quote box. Attempts to correct this only dig a deeper hole as there's no way to remove a quote on mobile...

Unfortunately the WYSIWYG editor is all that is available at the current time. We've looked into add-ons that would change the editor to be more similar to the old vB one but nothing suitable has been found. The only other option we currently have is to enable raw HTML editing, but we can't enable that for obvious reasons.

5 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yeah, if you try to quote in a mobile browser (tested in FF & stock Android) the editor post mangler goes berserk and traps the cursor in the quote box. Attempts to correct this only dig a deeper hole as there's no way to remove a quote on mobile...

I have been using mobile almost exclusively since June, and while it is certainly not the easiest thing in the world to use, I've not encountered either of these problems you describe.

33 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

raw HTML editing, but we can't enable that for obvious reasons.

But if you enable raw input I can show you my new ship. The name's kinda complex but for now we can just call it "The drop table"

(reference if you don't get it)

31 minutes ago, Frybert said:

I have been using mobile almost exclusively since June, and while it is certainly not the easiest thing in the world to use, I've not encountered either of these problems you describe.

As much as I hate posting from my phone, I will agree that just simple quoting is fine. If you want to multi-quote, split a quote, or quote selective text... Yeah that just ain't gonna happen.

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

But if you enable raw input I can show you my new ship. The name's kinda complex but for now we can just call it "The drop table"

(reference if you don't get it)

I see your webcomic and raise you a speed trap camera hack.

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

As much as I hate posting from my phone, I will agree that just simple quoting is fine. If you want to multi-quote, split a quote, or quote selective text... Yeah that just ain't gonna happen.

Does an enter on a blank line between two paragraphs not split quotes on mobile?

25 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

To answer the below, yes it does. I take back that this of my complaint. To address the above, I don't know how to get rid of it in my phone. Ok back to the computer...

25 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Does an enter on a blank line between two paragraphs not split quotes on mobile?

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

There's too much heavy JS on this site - it's slow as molasses, and the ridiculous fade-in and unnecessary.......

The sad thing is that a (well written) JS interface should really be nice and fast. But IPS seems to do some really bat-poop mental things with js and ajax that breaks some basic expected behaviours, like what happens to pressing "back" after going to the second page of a a thread. 
I pretty much dislike all WYSIAENWYG (what you see is almost entirely not what you get) editors but while looking around to back up my claim that all of them are horrible I came across https://froala.com/wysiwyg-editor. Now that is a JS wysiwyg editor done right! (have a look at the inline demo, the whole page is editable). Would be nice if IPS could adopt Froala as it's editor, but I doubt that will ever happen. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/13/2016 at 7:01 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

https://atozsofts.com/software/inpage_free_download/

On 10/13/2016 at 7:37 PM, katateochi said:

The sad thing is that a (well written) JS interface should really be nice and fast. But IPS seems to do some really bat-poop mental things with js and ajax that breaks some basic expected behaviours, like what happens to pressing "back" after going to the second page of a a thread. 
I pretty much dislike all WYSIAENWYG (what you see is almost entirely not what you get) editors but while looking around to back up my claim that all of them are horrible I came across https://froala.com/wysiwyg-editor. Now that is a JS wysiwyg editor done right! (have a look at the inline demo, the whole page is editable). Would be nice if IPS could adopt Froala as it's editor, but I doubt that will ever happen. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.