New Gamemodes

I know that new gamemodes have probably been suggested at least a million times by now, but the gamemodes I'm suggesting I don't think have ever been suggested before.

Resources

This would be a harder version of normal career. Not only would you have to keep track of how much credits you have, but you would also need to supply the resources to build your own parts using ore. You'd start with a large deposit of ore to get you off the ground (no pun intended) but eventually you'd need to start exporting ore to Kerbin in order to keep building space crafts.

Freelance

This gamemode would be like career, however the amount of credits and science you get would be massively inflated. This would be a good gamemode to those who want less of a challenge and something more similar to sandbox mode, while still being able to collect science and gain reputation.

Realistic

This would be different than just playing KSP on the hardest difficulty settings. While it would be equivalent of a career KSP save on hardest settings, it would have a few new challenges. The first one would be random failures, which was inspired by the random failures mod that existed a while ago (not sure if it is still being maintained). Failures would include explosions at launch (0.8% chance of happening per launch), jammed solar panels (5% chance of happening per panel), or broken science experiments (15% chance). In addition, there would also be orbital decay. This effect would be stronger depending on how close you are to the atmosphere of a planet. If you are not orbiting something with an atmosphere, then orbital decay would not happen. Finally. The average kerbal would be much more suspicious. By this, I mean that reputation would be very hard to earn, but incredibly easy to lose, even more so than it already is.

Edited by Clockwork13

Meh. I'd rather create my own modes with science, reputation and funds as togglable. Tech tree, buildings and vessel costs with an option to change the resources they are dependent on. And actual strategies that act as mission filters.

10 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

Hardcore

This would be different than just playing KSP on the hardest difficulty settings. While it would be equivalent of a career KSP save on hardest settings, it would have a few new challenges. The first one would be random failures, which was inspired by the random failures mod that existed a while ago (not sure if it is still being maintained). Failures would include explosions at launch (0.8% chance of happening per launch), jammed solar panels (5% chance of happening per panel), or broken science experiments (15% chance). In addition, there would also be orbital decay. This effect would be stronger depending on how close you are to the atmosphere of a planet. If you are not orbiting something with an atmosphere, then orbital decay would not happen. Finally. The average kerbal would be much more suspicious. By this, I mean that reputation would be very hard to earn, but incredibly easy to lose, even more so than it already is.

I think you need to change the name of the gamemode to "realistic".

I really like the Freelance and Realistic mode ideas as stated.

For the Resource mode, I would love to see many different resources put into play - food, water, oxygen, processed materials (you mentioned ore, but I could see a few different materials that would be interesting to manage).  For the different resources needed, different ways to attain them could be implemented, such as hydroponics modules for food and oxygen, mining ice asteroids for water, other mining and processing for processed materials, AND/OR having to make resupply missions from Kerbin to whatever station or base needed said resources.

This could lead to another layer of challenge for managing space stations and also open up more possibilities for bases/colonies on appropriate planetary bodies.

Also, instead of just being stand-alone, Resource mode might be a good addition that could be 'laid over' the other game modes, i.e., Career, Sandbox, Realistic, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.