[1.12.x] FTL Drive Continued

linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer I'm having a problem where the force a FTL Drive can generate, how much power it draws etc. is no longer shown the the GetInfo() menu in the VAB. It just says 0iN and electric charge 0.00 /s.

It does so on all the parts, which makes sense if it is the plugin which have a minor bug. Is this something you can confirm is not just my modded install playing tricks on me?

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It would be helpful if you could test this in a clean install, I may not have time to set up a test for a whie

Instead of testing I looked at the code instead.... More fun than creating new clean install etc.......

I think I know why the getinfo() does not yield valid results in the VAB. The first line and third, i.e. for the force and required EC, these are calculated in the referenced methods by getting the combined max values in the vessel. However, there is no vessel as far as the getinfo() is concerned, and this apparently calculates to "0" in that case. I think that these should just be the values from the CFG.

public override string GetInfo()
        {
            var str = new StringBuilder();

str.AppendFormat("Maximal force: {0:0.0}iN\n", MaxCombinedGeneratorForce());            // MaxCombinedGeneratorForce <-- This is only relevant on vessel, not for getinfo()
            str.AppendFormat("Maximal charge time: {0:0.0}s\n\n", maxChargeTime);
            str.AppendFormat("Requires\n");
            str.AppendFormat("- Electric charge: {0:0.00}/s\n\n", totalRequiredElectricalCharge);   // totalRequiredElectricalCharge <-- This is only relevant on vessel, not for getinfo()
            str.Append("Navigational computer\n");
            str.Append("- Required force\n");
            str.Append("- Success probability\n");

return str.ToString();
        }

I think that these should just be the values from the CFG. Like this.

public override string GetInfo()
        {
            var str = new StringBuilder();

str.AppendFormat("Maximal force: {0:0.0}iN\n", maxGeneratorForce);            // MaxCombinedGeneratorForce <-- This is only relevant on vessel, not for getinfo()
            str.AppendFormat("Maximal charge time: {0:0.0}s\n\n", maxChargeTime);
            str.AppendFormat("Requires\n");
            str.AppendFormat("- Electric charge: {0:0.00}/s\n\n", requiredElectricalCharge);   // totalRequiredElectricalCharge <-- This is only relevant on vessel, not for getinfo()
            str.Append("Navigational computer\n");
            str.Append("- Required force\n");
            str.Append("- Success probability\n");

return str.ToString();
        }

I do not think the is a problem aside from the isolated thing about the GetInfo() method.

I'll be happy to test it if you get the time to implement the fix. I'm confident that it was not my install that was the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Could it be possible to create some upgrades to this parts to increase jump force from 2500 IN? Say :

Initial: 2500 IN - 300 EC

1st upgrade 4000 IN - 480 EC

2nd upgrade 9800 IN - 700 EC

3rd upgrade 20000 In 1400 EC

etc...

So we can upgrade them to finally be able to jump between low orbit space stations :wink:

Thanks

4 hours ago, bice said:

Hi!

Could it be possible to create some upgrades to this parts to increase jump force from 2500 IN? Say :

Initial: 2500 IN - 300 EC

1st upgrade 4000 IN - 480 EC

2nd upgrade 9800 IN - 700 EC

3rd upgrade 20000 In 1400 EC

etc...

So we can upgrade them to finally be able to jump between low orbit space stations :wink:

Thanks

Nope, not planned.

Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

I have some problems with it.... i placed a beacon on kerbin... but it refuses to jump to it because of the power needed... is it because if the size of my ship? I'm trying to jump to it from outside the solar system. not near planets.

(100 m long 14 hight 10 k Tons i think. 2 FTL modules plus 2 tiny)

----------------------------------------------

I found the problem: Mass...

Hmm... FTL has no limit in time... but in mass. WARP has limit in time and size... but not mass... (another mod)

Can you make a FTL module for big ships? something like wormhole stations... for big stuff...

Edited by Sevgenko

@NotDavidTenant You only need enough EC to jump. The force needed depends on planet mass (origin and dest.), ship mass and orbit altitude. To get 100% chance probably you will need to combine more than 1 drive and be high enough.

And remember. You need to position a beacon orbiting the target planet to be able to jump!

I have:

beacon in Moho orbiting at 5Mm

beacon in Jool at 50Mm

beacon in Eve orbiting at 20Mm

beacon in Eeloo at 11Mm

beacon in Kerbin orbiting at 8Mm (to return from the others)

It's a great mod but must be used with caution.

1 hour ago, bice said:

@NotDavidTenant You only need enough EC to jump. The force needed depends on planet mass (origin and dest.), ship mass and orbit altitude. To get 100% chance probably you will need to combine more than 1 drive and be high enough.

And remember. You need to position a beacon orbiting the target planet to be able to jump!

I have:

beacon in Moho orbiting at 5Mm

beacon in Jool at 50Mm

beacon in Eve orbiting at 20Mm

beacon in Eeloo at 11Mm

beacon in Kerbin orbiting at 8Mm (to return from the others)

It's a great mod but must be used with caution.

OH, I didn't know you could combine them. Thats good to know.

1 hour ago, NotDavidTenant said:

OH, I didn't know you could combine them. Thats good to know.

Yes, you can and it works great!  I created 3 FTL ‘tug’ boat drones that each use 2 of the 2500iN Advanced FTL Drives in my career mode for a total of 5000iN.  Each has a docking port fore and aft with 5000ECs and can re-gen electricity fairly quickly.

Basically…

1. Launch your FTL Tug(s) and place in high Kerbin Orbit (around 8Mn…any further out will have issues with the Muns orbit unless you go to 12+Mn or so).

2. Launch your next spaceship and include a beacon, docking port, etc. 

3. Wait until that vessel reaches an altitude wherein your ‘tug’ can jump to it with a good success percentage (usually around 4-5Mn from Kerbin works for me…but will depend on where your FTL tug is and how heavy the launched spaceship is*).

4. Jump to the launched vessel and dock.  Wait a little for your ECs to regen and you are ready to jump to Jeb’s favorite Jool taco stand…assuming you placed a beacon there last time you ordered the Tylo burrito. :P

* If I need more ‘tug iN’ juice, I just dock 2 of my tugs and scale up as needed.

Oh, and a reminder!!!....make sure you are a good distance from any beacon before you jump or that beacon will usually 'follow' you to the new jump location.  I usually allow 1.5k distance from my FTL tug drone to any beacon or other vessel before I jump.

Edited by Red Stapler
More infos.

• 3 weeks later...

Tested in 1.3 from Kerbin to Duna and works quite well. I was wondering.. were you planning on adding an animation for the jump? I think it would add a lot to the experience.

Also, I wondered if you could post how much energy is needed given that a ship and beacon is almost entirely outside a gravity well, say orbiting at something like 40 million km for bodies like Kerbin and Duna. I would think you would have to expend at least as many joules as the kinetic energy difference for the two orbits (aka, the difference in kinetic energy between Source Orbit1 -> Escape Velocity -> Target Planet Orbit -> Target Planet Escape Velocity energy - Orbit2 Energy), but it seems to be much less than that. Personally I would like it to be based on something like this :-)

So roughly, to move a 40million km orbit around Kerbin to a 40 million km orbit around Duna for one ton would have a kilowatt hour cost of ~4820. I know KSP doesn't have real units with regard to electric charge and volume, but I would think that 4.8 Megawatt hours expended in an instant would be... lets say difficult for a battery to handle.

I know you are just wonking around with this mod part time, but I was imagining the feel of the parts would be better if there was a longer "windup" and "cooldown" of the vessels, an animation, and a larger electrical cost when free of gravity wells. It would be tougher, and more dramatic!

Regardless, thanks for the work you are doing :-)

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2016 at 5:35 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

To actually end up where you want to go, instead of experiencing a permanent fatal reality dis-coherence (i.e. your ship goes puff, aka. explodes) there are a few recommendations to observe:

• Place a FTL beacon where you want to go, otherwise, the FTL drive cannot get a lock on your target destination and will refuse to even spin up.
  • Never, never, ever spin up the drive in a strong gravity field, keep far away from planets, suns, and other heavy objects.

@flightyfighty You might want to read the OP or watch the video. Realistically, warp drives don't like high gravity, and the part action window (PAW) will show you if you're going to overload when you prepare to jump. :) 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi

This mod is great! 

I'm having an issue. If you have an object nearby and jump, the object is the one that jumps. No errors. Simply the spaceship shows the animation but stays, and the other  jumps to the destination. My Minmus space station is now orbiting Duna...:confused:

anyone having the same issue?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.