linuxgurugamer

[1.3] FTL Drive Continued

92 posts in this topic

This is a continuation of the old FTL Drive mod

Ever wished you where somewhere else instantly. With the Kerbin Science Foundry faster than light (FTL) drive you can! Just spin it up to create an instant reality dysfunction that might, just might transport you instantly to another point in space.

To actually end up where you want to go, instead of experiencing a permanent fatal reality dis-coherence (i.e. your ship goes puff, aka. explodes) there are a few recommendations to observe:

• Place a FTL beacon where you want to go, otherwise, the FTL drive cannot get a lock on your target destination and will refuse to even spin up.
  • Never, never, ever spin up the drive in a strong gravity field, keep far away from planets, suns, and other heavy objects.

Other than that the FTL drive holds the promise to revolutionize interplanetary transfers and to take the grind out of flying vessels from one point in the Kerbol system to another.

Downloads:  http://spacedock.info/mod/835/FTL Drive Continued

Source:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FTLDriveContinued

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer
11 people like this

Sweet!  It lives!

Of all the FTL mods that exist, I think this one is by far the best.  It still forces you to get (at least) a probe to the place you eventually want to jump to, which is a huge challenge.  But it saves you the tedium of having to do that over and over if you do things right.

One request:  Could you make it compatible with CKAN?  (Or did I just miss it in the list?)

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Leo_G. said:

Sweet!  It lives!

Of all the FTL mods that exist, I think this one is by far the best.  It still forces you to get (at least) a probe to the place you eventually want to jump to, which is a huge challenge.  But it saves you the tedium of having to do that over and over if you do things right.

One request:  Could you make it compatible with CKAN?  (Or did I just miss it in the list?)

Already in CKAN 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Already in CKAN 

I noticed.  It seems the updated version just hadn't been posted there at the time I made post.  Thanks.

How about making it look like a Star Gate :)  It pretty much does exactly that from the movie/series :cool:

Looking forward to trying this out and making myself some orbital jump gates!

4 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

How about making it look like a Star Gate :)  It pretty much does exactly that from the movie/series :cool:

Well, if you want to go ahead and make the model, I'll try it out.

How strong does a gravitational field need to be to prevent a warp drive working?

Oh, nice, just as I was debating what the sci-fi tech should be in my next career :) 

Is it still the, um, placeholder models? (I haven't updated to 1.2 yet, sorry ^^;)

so... about 10.000.000km from the plantet is about the right distance to get 100% FTL probability?

Can you please add some new screenshots/video? That video is (apparently) from 0.1. Also, is there a way to change the minimum distance from planet needed? I'd like to be able to use this within 600km. 

my findings: use multiple jump drives and spin them up simultaenously to build up more "mass" i.e. jump closer to a planets gravity well or edit the ftl drive part configs:

MODULE
    {
        name = FTLDriveModule
        maxGeneratorForce = 5000
        maxChargeTime = 8
        requiredElectricalCharge = 250
    }

increase the maxGeneratorForce to create more "mass" and probably increase electrical charge cost to balance it.

Just as a question: What's the compare/contrast between this and ESLD beacons?  (Just wondering how to chose between the two - should I ever be able to.)

On 10/23/2016 at 5:18 PM, eddiew said:

Oh, nice, just as I was debating what the sci-fi tech should be in my next career :) 

Is it still the, um, placeholder models? (I haven't updated to 1.2 yet, sorry ^^;)

probably, as they are still in png and tga format.

@linuxgurugamer

Converted the textures to DDS. Will test in a second, but you can find them here if you want them.

License is same as original CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

i think its easier to use, doesnt require karbonite / karbonundrum, just electricity. but its all a matter of choice :wink:

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Just as a question: What's the compare/contrast between this and ESLD beacons?  (Just wondering how to chose between the two - should I ever be able to.)

I'm sure you'd like a detailed breakdown, but I don't have a firm grasp on the mechanics of ESLD. I believe on first blush, this is the easier of the two, as it uses ElectricCharge, not Karborundum, and it's more forgiving with it's gravity wells and orbital mechanics. Personally I prefer the concept of ESLD, but the convenience of this mod, but at present...use neither.:rolleyes:

I know, I'm a real help.:wink:

From what I understand, the other mod preserves orbital velocity, while this one matches it to the beacon. This one is how it works in fiction ;)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

probably, as they are still in png and tga format.

@linuxgurugamer

Converted the textures to DDS. Will test in a second, but you can find them here if you want them.

License is same as original CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

Thanks

New release:  0.1.3:

• New animated models supplied by forum user @steedcrugeon
  • Code added to control animations
  • Drives can now stack

New releaes:  0.1.4

• Fixed UI after ftl drive used

New release: 0.1.5:

* Updated stacking to be a descending exponential curve for additional drives.  It is now using the formula:
        force * 1.4 ^ (-cnt)
        Where force = generated force by drive
        cnt = cnt of additional drive mode.
        So this means that the following applies to additional drives:
        Drive #        Multiplier
            2        0.714285714
            3        0.510204082
            4        0.364431487    
            5        0.260308205    
            6        0.185934432    
            7        0.132810309    
            8        0.094864506
            9        0.067760362
            10        0.048400258

* Updated display of generated force and chances to take multiple drives into account

1 person likes this