Mod Hunt

Dark Zeak

So I made a post on steam forums about this and they said its best to ask it here I'll just copy it here.

So I stopped playing this game not long after the 1.0 update as I burnt myself out on it. After seeing that it had been updated to the 1.2 I decided to come back and have some fun. Loving the changes so far but I miss the mods I used to run. Since I have been away for so long I will be playing it without mods for a while. However, I do intend to regrab some mods for this game. Sadly everything was on my old HDD that died on me so I don't have my old lists not to mention there have been a lot more added since then. 

What I was hoping for was for kind souls to list their favorite mods within the catagories I state to help me out. The mods I'm looking for need to add difficulty to the game in a realistic manner, more parts and tech based off the real world (with the usual KSP flair) as well as realistic possibilities for the future. Basically realistic progression from old to future. Also more features (I remember a mod that had satilites that would map the would and find resources), and more resrouces added to find and use. I do remember using mechjeb but not sure what it does anymore I just know I liked it so more like it.

I have looked using the games mod portal but most don't have that great of a discription, or I'm just glancing. Probably that later, changing jobs atm. Thanks in advanced for those that help :)

Edit: When I start the game and it asks if I wish to start or use the 64bit I'm assuming the former starts the game using 32 bit. Is there an issue with 64 bit atm or something else?

64bit mode has no more problems nowadays. In fact, if at all possible, you should use it. The increased memory headroom makes playing with mods so much more comfortable. I've not had a single memory-related KSP crash since Unity 5 dropped. :)

As far as mod recommendations go - keep in mind that KSP 1.2 is fairly new, so not all mods are updated yet. The selection is much smaller than it was a month ago. I'm going to make suggestions regardless of whether or not something is updated, because frankly I can't memorize the release status of every single mod :P It's for you to look at and find out.

It generally helps if you are more specific with your questions. We get generic "recommend me your favorite mods" several times per week, every week of the year. And the selection of KSP mods is so vast that none of those threads ever receives the exact same recommendations, even though the question is the same. So asking something specific has a better chance of focusing the responses you get on what actually interests you.

When you say "realistic", do you actually mean "realistic"? Or do you mean "real life inspired", or "believable"? Those are very different things. In the former case, you might want to consider Realism Overhaul, or at least some of the many mods it uses to do what it does. In the latter case, there are several parts packs that add stock-compatible recreations of real life spacecraft, such as Bluedog Design Bureau (US side) or Tantares (Russian side).

The mod you remember that mapped resources via Satellites is SCANsat - although stock does this too in a simplified manner nowadays. More resources to find and use? USI Kolonization System together with USI Life Support will make your head explode. :P It actually works on top of something called Community Resource Pack, which several different other mods also use to some extent. For example, Near Future Technologies (seee my signature), since you were interested in progression towards future concepts. But note that everything in this paragraph is not fully "realistic". It is merely "believable" and makes concessions to the fact that KSP is in fact a game (as opposed to a full blown simulator like Orbiter).

If you really want to get into challenging yourself (and you are not using Realism Overhaul, which is about as challenging as you can get), then grab Sigma Dimensions and change the Kerbin system to a different size. Suddenly you don't know how much dV it costs to do stuff anymore, and you have to test and learn everything anew. And perhaps throw in New Horizons, which completely rearranges where the planets are, and adds several new ones. Surprise, Kerbin doesn't have moons anymore, but instead is a moon itself. If you're tired of going through the same motions towards the same destinations everytime, this is for you. (Changing Kerbin like that is somewhat buggy, though, so you need the stomach to deal with that.)

Also, Kerbal Construction Time.

Edited by Streetwind

I think I remember using the Realism mod at one point as it added physics for something that wasn't in the game atm (I think), but since I'm asking for future tech and parts Believable would be good enough.  Also I don't intend to use mods right away.  I just reinstalled the game since it hit 1.0 and I would like to see what all has been added.  I'll check out your mod after I write this, but I will also state that I'm looking for progression from past (just starting out with maned rockets) to future (possibly ending with wrap?) in a long progression track for he tech tree and parts.  In other words more things to work towards to both extend the game and give more obstacles and things to do.  This is also why I asked for more resources to add to that.  I'll check out all the mods you suggested, but I do have two questions.  For New Horizons what type of bugs are we talking about as I have no idea how modding Kerbin can affect things, and the second, what is DV?  Been a while and I never used the wiki or anything like that to play the game I just played till I got things right lol.

Also, sorry to make a post you guys get so often.

Edit:  I also remember Kerbals at War mod.  It was fun shooting at things every so often as a distraction.  Hows that mod now days?

Edited by Dark Zeak

dV is shorthand for delta-V, which is science speak for "change in velocity". In space, there is no such thing as not moving; you are always moving, and all other objects are also always moving. Therefore your ability to reach another object is determined by whether or not you can change your movement to match that object's movement. dV has thus become the de-facto metric for how far you can go in space. Whereas a car would say that it can travel 600 kilometers on one tank of fuel, a spacecraft would say that it can change its velocity by 3,000 m/s on one tank of fuel.

The "reparenting Kerbin bug" in the current (1.1.3) version of Kopernicus (the framework mod required for modding the solar system) basically results in the sun not moving in the space center view as time passes, desyncing that view from the rest of the game. If it's night when you load up the space center, it stays night permanently, no matter how much you timewarp. If you go into the tracking station and then back out, that corrects the sun's position... but since you're back at the spacecenter view, it's frozen once more. The bug doesn't prevent you from playing the game, but it's quite noticable since it's "always in your face", so to speak. Also, it can cause real issues if you go to a flight scene directly from a strongly desynced space center view, as opposed to launching from the VAB/SPH or loading from the tracking station. This unfortunately means Kerbal Construction Time, which normally loads to the launchpad directly from the space center view, requires you to jump through hoops to use it error-free with New Horizons. You need to put the vessel on the pad through KCT's menu, then enter the tracking station and load the vessel from there, for every single launch you do. Forget it once, and you might break things to the point of requiring you to restart the game and reload from a point before your mistake.

Whether this bug will be fixed in 1.2 or not, I cannot predict.

For extended progression, most of the mods I mentioned (and a lot more besides) make use of something called the Community Tech Tree. This is an extension of the stock tree, with many additional nodes beyond where stock stops. That's where you'll find all those future technologies. There are other modded tech trees too, but those generally throw the stock tree out completely, and replace it with something else entirely, if that's more your cup of tea. Though with those, you normally need to check if all your part mods are supported, because a lack of stock nodes means parts will never appear anywhere unless the tech tree's author specifically supports them. CCT doesn't have that problem, because it preserves the stock tree. If a part mod has no idea about CCT's extended nodes, it will just add itself to the stock nodes as normal. Which isn't ideal, but at least the parts are accessible.

(Both issues can of course be manually fixed by you via simple, if tedious, Module Manager patches.)

Kerbals at War, i can't tell you anything about. Most people, including myself, prefer their KSP without militarization. However, do take a look at BD Armory, which is (as far as I understand it) the most popular weapons/military mod nowadays.

(Oh, and Near Future isn't my mod. I just help out :wink:)

Edited by Streetwind

Main thing I use the military mods for is when I get frustrated with a design I tend to shoot it :P but I also use it to clear debris that gets too close to my stations or ships.  I have gotten to that point in one game so was fun for laughs.  I do not arm everything though.  I know of Delta-V just never heard it be called dv though so good to know.

So that's 10 mods recommended so far, though not all of them are compatible with each other, thanks for that.  Any more you think I should take a look at?  I know mod authors need some time and each have things to do outside of modding, but how long do would you say I might need to wait before the mods are updated with the new patch?  I don't even know what was all added seeing how its been so long since I last played.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.