KerbalKid

Do you still use mechjeb?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yeah
    • Nope
    • Kerbal Engineer!

On 11/11/2016 at 10:28 PM, monstah said:

Posts in The Lounge and its subforums don't count, as far as I know.

That is true. Also true, the post I linked to is in Add On Releases, which is not in the Lounge :)

On 11/11/2016 at 10:28 PM, monstah said:

Oh, look, now I can say it. IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!

On 11/12/2016 at 2:08 PM, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Dang it. I was building up to this

I beat you both to it, also in the linked post :)

I've kind of switched to Kerbal Engineer, but mostly it's because Mechjeb seems to take a lot longer to update. Within a couple of days of a new version, I need d/v numbers, and t/w numbers! 

I've played, I think, two careers without MJ. I love it for its ability to plot a planetary intercept. That's the one thing I wish I had when I don't have MJ installed. But it seems like we've gone through at least one full version where it never got updated.

Edited by RocketBlam

I used it to start to practice launches. Then after I got that down I used it to learn rendezvous and transfers. Now I'm pretty comfortable with launching things and rendezvous that really the only thing I use MechJeb for is to automate something when I need to go and do something. Especially when I had to build my relay network and needed to do multiple launches.

I found MJ very useful in the early days, when I didn't have an intuitive understanding of how to do an efficient launch, performing rendezvous, reasonably efficient landing burns, docking and interplanetary transfers.

Later I found I was performing more maneuvers manually. A new KSP version came out and MJ wasn't updated yet so I installed KER to get dV numbers and a month later realized I'd not even bothered to check if MJ had been updated yet.

The same thing happened with various docking alignment tools. Having the automated tool or navigation indicator was very helpful early on, but once I was oriented and understood what I was seeing, I found I could do everything fine manually.

So I have no problems with people using MJ. It's a fantastic tool and I learned a lot from it, but now I just don't need it. It does have a lot of informational displays and if you want to do very precise missions I'm sure those are useful, but nowadays I get by with KER, Kerbal Alarm Clock and some visual enhancement mods. I usually end up dropping in KIS/KAS at some point when I need them as well.

So thanks MJ, you were there when I needed you.

Simon Hibbs

Surveying is a science; this post proves that.

• "Anymore" sounds like "do you use training wheels anymore" — there's likely going to be a bias effect because a certain amount of MJ users will not even open the thread thinking “here we go again”
  • Ironically there's more detail for "no" (no/ker) than for "yes", despite this being a survey about the use of MJ (or so it claims).
  • Not even half a dozen posts into the thread the survey organizer states that using MJ "feels like cheating." Well, we know what you are looking for.

So, instead, I'd have done this (running a survey now is useless with this one on the table):

Do you use mechjeb:

• Yes, and mainly because it does things I cannot do
  • Yes, and mainly because it does the boring things I know how to do
  • Yes, but only for the stats
  • No, I prefer stock only
  • No, I prefer Mechjeb Kerbal Engineer, it's enough for what I need
  • No, I don't like any mod "that makes it easier"

Now there's less bias in the answers, and the surveyees can pick an answer without feeling pidgeon-holed in the "wrong" category. Also, you can collate the answers between simply "yes" or "no" while getting some more detail as to why yes or no is picked as well.

Edited by Kerbart
Thank you @Monstah for pointing out my typo/error

KER & MechJeb

KER for Readouts and informations about the Orbit & Mechjeb for some features and finetuning. I really love the maneuver node editor.

I know all the orbital maneuvers i have to do. but after all that time i really love the help mechjeb can provide. so i can focus on the mission and the building. and mechjeb helps with the maneuvers. also: mechjeb performs my nodes way better than i do. so i save a lot of time and anger with warping way thorugh my node...

4 hours ago, RocketBlam said:

Which all begs the question: When is KSP going to have some way to know when planets are in a good position for intercept? We shouldn't have to rely on trial and error to know when, for example, it's a good time to launch to Duna or Eve.

Yea if they add 4 things to stock KSP I'd call it done:

1) Some kind of stock version of KAC for intercepts.

2) Stock dV & TWR

3) Life Support

4) Clouds. Cities & basic terrain upgrades a la SVE would be great, but come on, AT LEAST give us clouds.

• 1 month later...
On 2016-10-18 at 6:10 AM, Gamel0rd1 said:

I hate mechjeb it really feels like cheating. KE is much better as it just provides readouts for your crafts. Mechjeb does everything for you from taking off to docking.

Touched mechjeb once, never went back and proud

Exactly this for me, YMMV.

I first started using KER for delta-v readouts during construction of my Jool-5 mission. Found that, at the time, it wasn't able to cope with a massive build. Switched to MJ and was quite happy with it. Never bothered to use anything except the delta-v readout and Smart A.S.S. feature, as I'm quite capable of launch and rendezvous and docking on my own, thank you very much. Switched back to KER in my 1.2.2 installation and have never looked back.

Don't miss MJ one bit. I really don't understand people who don't bother to learn to fly their space craft manually. Rendezvous and docking are very fun, makes KSP worth playing.

I stopped using MJ simply because it doesn't (didn't?) work well with CommNet. I felt that MJ having full control of my ship 100% of the time even out of Comms Range felt a little OP, so I started using KER instead.

Then I found that I prefer KER, as I don't have a million windows clogging up my screen... so I stuck with it.

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Then I found that I prefer KER, as I don't have a million windows clogging up my screen... so I stuck with it.

A million windows clogging the screen? Why? For MJ I have just 2 tiny windows on my screen, I just use it for the numbers. It is very very customizable.

Never use the autopilot, still love the mod.

Edited by Dafni

I couldn't possibly consider playing without mechjeb anymore. at nearly 4000 hours in game i'd have put down KSP a long time ago if i had to manually fly every rocket into orbit, manually dock every craft, manually set up every manoeuvre node.

I find i now play KSP like i'm playing with a really good dance partner, i know exactly when Mechjeb can make my life easier and when it won't. I'll sometimes mostly set up a dock manually then switch auto pilot on for the finicky last approach to avoid the boat load of RCS it can waste. I'll skip rendevous autopilot and just go Hohmann transfer, adjust close approach with RCS then match velocities at closest approach. 

I also used mechjeb form day 1, i had no idea how to rendezvous and dock and went complete automated straight away. Watching Mechjeb taught me almost everything i know but after a few hundred hours nailing down how to manually do everything i'm well and truly back to using auto pilot.

3 hours ago, bobcook said:

I really don't understand people who don't bother to learn to fly their space craft manually. Rendezvous and docking are very fun, makes KSP worth playing.

I really don't understand people who don't grasp the simple concept that what is fun for them is not necessarily fun for someone else.

I started using MechJeb soon after I started playing KSP during version 0.23.  The crazy weak and stretchy parts joints almost made me give up KSP completely.  I remember the struggle getting my first rocket to orbit and not have it disintegrate during flight.  And then I couldn't repeat after about another dozen tries until I had MechJeb Ascent Guidance fly the rocket.  Eventually I learned more about rocket design and strutting and in later KSP versions joints because less like overcooked pasta.  But without MechJeb I would have given up on KSP.

I can do everything manually that the autopilot and other tools of MechJeb make much easier, including rendezvous and docking and node creation, although I always use a mod for better access to node creation and editting than what's in stock.  I like to master these skills so I understand them, then selectively use MechJeb to reduce the tedious work.  I don't play KSP just to simulate a rocket guidance system.  I also use the other 2 engineering mods, KER and VOID, with KER used mostly in the VAB/SPH and VOID for its awesome HUD's.  MechJeb's custom windows are also great and I set up many of them and selectively open and close them using icons on @blizzy78's toolbar.

I only use mechjeb for it's calculations. Depart time, node setting, suicide burn and time of impact etc.. Just not the autopilot things.

Sometimes I just don't thrust them haha. Also, as a RSS/RO player, some things are not perfectly intergraded with mechjeb and get a bit tricky. Beside that, I really like to fly my rockets, landers etc., by meself.

But for now, mechjeb has a higher value than KER. Both are amazing mods, but mechjeb keeps showing my delta etc. I consider KER as mechjebs little brother for the stock solar system game :)KER is more simplified and therefor for beginner a bit user friendly I think. When I began playing with mods, I found mechjeb a bit overwhelming.  

I use  MechJeb, Kerbal Engineer, TCA and KOS. and GT*

and AtmosphereAutopilot for plains.

im verey automated :)

i chose the target and let the computer do his stuff (then let the kids play on the computer wily KSP runs in the background  )

*edit: how could i forget gravity turn for lunches :)

Edited by danielboro

4 minutes ago, danielboro said:

I use  MechJeb, Kerbal Engineer, TCA and KOS.

and AtmosphereAutopilot for plains.

im verey automated :)

i chose the target and let the computer do his stuff (then let the kids play on the computer wily KSP runs in the background  )

Ooo I've been finding mechjeb spaceplane auto pilot to be useless on my craft designs. I'll give AtmosphereAutopilot a go tonight.

MechJeb opens the door to a more realistic space program. The real meat of a mission happens in design phase, and everything is computer-controlled in-flight unless some failure requires pilot input.

As far as automated maneuvers go--"setting the maneuver node" is the real challenge IRL--not executing it, which the game makes rather tedious and easy to screw up. (Enter maneuver planner's "execute next node" feature, my most-used button in KSP.)

To that effect, I've done enough rendezvous, docking, transfer, insertion, and launch for one lifetime, I think. Now, I don't mind automating them to let me focus my limited time on what I like to do. Which, right now, is launching/landing SSTO spaceplanes and roving long distances for roving's sake. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.