What could cause a space station to disappear from orbit?

So I was playing ksp the day it was updated to 1.2. What actually happened was I was in the middle of an Eloo mission, returning to the "mothership" in LEO with the lander from the surface, and upon entering physics range and getting close to the main craft, the main craft exploded and seemed to come off the rails in the most fantastic-ly horrible up-close way. (Edit-forgot about this part) The camera then broke away from the craft and began to move through the planet Eloo and came out the other side. I was forced to restart my computer. I had never experienced this before with my short list of mods that I would normally use in 1.1.3:

• KAC
  • KAS
  • KIS
  • KER
  • MJ2
  • Atmospheric Trajectories
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • Lights Out 
  • Claw's Stock Bug Fixes
  • Scatter
  • CKAN

When I restarted the game again (I have it on steam) the game restarted in version 1.2. I did not make a backup of my 1.1.3 main save. I ran the game and loaded the most recent save at the time, which was a quick save of when the landing craft touched down on Eloo's surface, but chose to just play around a bit with jets for a few days and not do/check on anything else while mods were getting updated. My memory is fuzzy on whether or not I remember seeing my one and only station in LKO (altitude at 240km, named SS2) at the time. 2 day ago from writhing this I went to the orbital map view in the tracking station and was unnerved to find my first station around Kerbin, SS2, gone. Luckily I don't think I had any kerbals on the station, or a ship docked to it, but it was large, and an important fuel depot that had actually did have 2 very small "tug" probes for moving around orange jumbo tanks for refueling. Here is a picture of it, it looks like a giant cross but in this photo has 2 large interplanetary ships connected to it in this instance; I don't have a better screen shot of just the station: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/318999100688266840/7F512B3EDB3A6E489C86B1A546336E2AC666C8CB/ 

Additional Details:

• Currently I am running only KAC, KAS, KIS, MJ2, and Atmos Traj. MJ2 is the only one not officially updated to 1.2 out of the mods I'm currently running.
  • If there are any other craft missing in my file I'm unaware of them.
  • I am certain beyond a reasonable doubt that the station is missing; in the tracking center it only lists 2 stations, both in Jool orbit, and not 3 anymore.
  • I have had craft (that sadly had lots of crew) go missing way in the past in older versions, around 1.0 time. It's the reason most of my kerbals have died lol, first they were reported MIA, and then KIA upon reloading the game. I didn't see any labeled MIA in the space academy, so I've assumed I didn't have a kerbal chillin on the station
  • This save has been around and was created soon after 1.0 was released
  • Here is a copy of my quicksave where I just landed on Eloo, the last time I believe the station was still in existance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0gx99pld7zx41u/quicksave.sfs?dl=0
  • Here is a copy of my save when I noticed something was wrong: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzqf4u6drqtrwi6/what ss gone.sfs?dl=0
  • Here is a copy of my logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kay6r5ocnb3ohs8/output_log.txt?dl=0
  • If I can think of anything else I'll edit it in here

My system specs:

• Windows 10 64bit
  • KSP: Steam
  • i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
  • 2x AMD HD6950's crossfired
  • 8gh RAM
  • 480gb SSD

If you have any questions or need more information please let me know; thank you in advance for any assistance!

Edited by fireblade274

I ran into the same problem when I upgraded to 1.2, but with some of my ships. I have a ship type I named raptors:

Hvdsxt6.png

I had 5 of them going when I upgraded. Now all of them are gone, and the crews are listed as KIA.

I'm also using just a few mods... but this particular ship was stock!

I can't afford to lose 18 of my best people, so I'm starting my career over.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I ran into the same problem...

That sucks, and they get expensive late game. I could just suck it up and spend a day rebuilding it, but I wanted to get right along with finished my Eloo mission and then getting a com network set up, and that station was the first one I ever put up in my save which is over a year old... That sentimental value I guess. Is there no way to get it to re appear?

Hey, I got mine to work... but I'm not sure if this will help you unless you have saved backups.

Yesterday I saw Kopernicus had updated to 1.2. But before I downloaded it, I decided to try uninstalling and deleting my entire game, then reinstalling a clean version of 1.2. After that I added just the most essential mods, and finally started backtracking thru my saved games. I'm not sure if you're aware of my fan fiction novel: Emiko Station, but since I started writing it, I've been saving backups of that career game, just in case. And when I started backtracking thru them, I found one that works fine. I'm going to lose maybe 100 days game time, but who cares? That's easy to make up.

I suspect it's a mod related problem, but I haven't been able to pin it down yet.
I'm not sure if this will help you, but if you've been saving your game folders in a different location, then maybe you could give it a try.

Thank you for your input Jim! Unfortunately, though I do have backups, when compared to the time it would take to re-build the station, they are relatively far back enough that if I loaded them I would be regressing back to a time where I would be spending even more time re-doing missions then rebuilding the station.

I haven't really played since the issue started; that being said I may just suck it up, rebuild the station and hope nothing else is wrong with my save

On 10/19/2016 at 5:55 PM, Just Jim said:

I ran into the same problem when I upgraded to 1.2, but with some of my ships. I have a ship type I named raptors:

Hvdsxt6.png

I had 5 of them going when I upgraded. Now all of them are gone, and the crews are listed as KIA.

I'm also using just a few mods... but this particular ship was stock!

You could just go into your save file, search for your missing Kerbals by name and change their status to AVAILABLE and save the file.

They'll be back and healthy at the astronaut complex.

Edited by kurdain
spelling

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.