New O.R.C. and E.L.F. engines

CraftyDwarf

I have begun very basic work on a series of engines that combine mass driver, plasma creation, and the ultimate in recycling.

Engines will have two grades, O.R.C. and E.L.F.

Otherwise Really Cool Engines will heat its "fuel" mass to high gaseous state, ionize and expel for force. High cost of energy to the matter's density and boiling point, a bit more for ionization andd magnetic expulsion. So far a 1.25 I call Pele and a 2.5 I call Vulcan. Only fuel at this moment is the junkiest, but would be universal otherwise in being Rock. Performance curves in atmo like LN-V. So no mining rock on kerbal to get to orbit, well not reasonably. I am not making a cheat, but basing this on real scientific principles. I said basing, accuracy will of course deviate and that can be debated, but will not be this threads sole purpose.

Stage two is in concept only ATM, everything is the same but more so, to get Electrodeless Lorentz Forces from a plasma you make from whatever. Thinking once I get how to flow and channel the thermal models in KSPI-E, I will use that as a power core.

Next steps is an enigine module that will use a fuel data dictionary for settings about boiling points and specific heats, as well as density. Then the fuel determines the engines force, as all else will be as a level zone. This will make an interesting alternative for Depleted Fuel and similar things. It will be high density, so you would get 2-3 times the effect from rock in an ELF, but boiling points are much higher I believe, so an ORC maybe only 1.5 to 2, with higherr electric charge per second.

These engines will take nearly impractical amounts of power. Nearly because the nuclear option is literally on the table, and will tend to pay off, or at least get close.

I am looking to Coordinate with USI and KSPI-E, at least.

~Rough Draft~

Edited by CraftyDwarf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.