Nintendo Switch

Alshain

2 minutes ago, Xannari Ferrows said:

For single player, perhaps, but the console part serves more purpose than just connecting the display to a TV. If it uses rechargeable batteries, you don't have to turn it off every time the battery gets low. This would be a bit more of an issue if the batteries didn't last that long, and that's be a good point to make, but it remains to be seen. Also for multiplayer, you wouldn't have to huddle around the small screen, and would be able to see more clearly on a TV. Esports also need this

I'm not sure what your position is there.  You basically are arguing it's a good console because it has mobile features?  That makes it a portable, not a console.  Battery life is not an issue for the XBox One and PS4 main units.

2 minutes ago, Xannari Ferrows said:

You're also not paying for either a console, or handheld. You're paying for the option of both whenever you want, which may not be what you want, but the majority of people do. I do agree that under a lot of circumstances, the option to buy them separately depending on your own needs or wants is the better option, but I can understand them combining the two. It would take too many resources that they don't have to make them separate and individually developed again, and it's not like the act of combining them is strictly a bad thing, just that parts of the idea would appeal to parts of people's wants, rather than all of them at the same time. I actually don't even know if that's possible. I can see the argument though

You can manufacture two separate devices based on the same hardware and it wouldn't cost them much more.  They can do this one and then take all the same hardware without the screen and detachable controllers and put it in a fixed box and bundle it with a pro controller and have it run all the same games and alleviate that issue entirely.  You'd have two versions of the same console, one would be cheap and stationary, one would be more expensive and portable.

8 minutes ago, EliasDanger said:

Why does Nintendo insist on being so weird with their hardware? I haven't bought anything Nintendo in decades because I am old school and they make me feel alienated. Always weird controllers, multiple screens, and inferior performance capability compared to the competition. Wish they would get back to basics.

Nintendo has never been about the common convention. A good chunk of the gaming community enjoys consoles like Playstation and Xbox, but for different reasons than why people like Nintendo stuff. Playstation and Xbox are entertainment systems; they play games, yes, but do other things, such as browse the internet, and stream videos. Nintendo consoles have been more strictly about gaming, but you can't really evolve when focusing solely on gaming as your form of entertainment. What's the point of just getting better hardware every time you release a new console? It might be profitable and may work, but there's just no "challenge" in it. There have already been numerous complaints like that against Playstation and Xbox, for the reason "being too samey". I can certainly see why to. I have no interest in getting the newest of them because I just don't see any large improvements from console to console. Nintendo doesn't stick to the same stuff for this very reason; they don't want everything to just feel like recycled content, which is both why they do gimmicky stuff sometimes [because who knows, it might be amazing], and why they have very strict quality control. Weird? Unconventional. Just like the Bf109 fighter from Germany, it's not bringing anything new to the table, but it's trying all of the traditional things in a brand new way which requires the use of "weird" hardware. This is actually the first Nintendo system that hasn't introduced something new to the gaming community since the N64

@Xannari Ferrows, I just wanna kick back on my couch and play some Zelda like I did when I was young. But Nintendo's unconventional and innovative hardware designs scare and confuse me. What the heck is an Ameebo? Why does the controller come in a bunch of different pieces? Why did they make all the hardware fit in a tablet when they could have fit better hardware for cheaper into a regular console? Get off my lawn, Nintendo! Keep your Zelda, it's not worth it!

Edited by EliasDanger

XBox1 and PS4 are just bad PCs, the Switch is actually something worth owning if you have a PC. It isnt even trying to compete with PC hardware since Nintendo knows thats a battle they cant win, so they focus on other stuff, e.g. portability.

@EliasDanger Amiibo is a completely optional near field communications collectable figurine system (also collectible cards for Animal Crossing).  It's similar to Skylanders or Disney Infinity.  They have a small chip in them that allows you to scan them to unlock bonus stuff and in some cases you can store information on them.  Super Smash Brothers, for example, lets you level up your amiibo, while Zelda: Twilight Princess HD lets you store your progress on the amiibo and it will be usable later in Breath of the Wild. 

Unlike Skylanders and Disney Infinity... you don't have to own one to play most games (there are a few freebie games that require them), they just add extra stuff.  The Wii U and New 3DS support them natively, I'm pretty sure the Switch will too.  The old 3DS can support them if you buy a reader.

Edited by Alshain

I really like the idea of trying to erase the distinction between mobile and console gaming. Seems like it would be a really nice convenience to have, the sort of thing I would have loved when I was a kid (like being able to take the console with me in the car to finish up whatever I was doing), and could even be handy now (other people want to use the TV, so I can just take the thing to another room. The focus on being able to make that transition as seamlessly as possible also seems to have eliminated the change of using the second screen and it's touch abilities in obnoxious ways, which I consider a win.

It also does more to separate itself from PC gaming. Even laptops don't offer the kind of freedom this thing looks to be able to provide (I can't be the only person who likes to lie down while mobile gaming. Try playing a game on a laptop while holding it upside down above your face). It's the first console I've seen since the Wii that I actually might like to own.

• 2 months later...

The Switch was properly announced now, but i dont care for the details anymore. Since you now have to pay monthly to use the online multiplayer its dead for me, no matter the technology or the games...

Edited by Elthy

why sega is now a publisher and nintendo sill produce console

"device research" and transgenerationnal approach, historically nintendo always been more oriented young audience as well as later on since the wii creating a link between elder and young audience, while ps4 and xbox mostly aim teen and young adult

my 80 years old rip grand mother played console and had fun once in her life, why: wii bowling ergonomics intuitive & natural approach, lite an fun gaming more strategic and preparation oriented tournament approach than react on the flow (starcraft // pokemon for exemple , magic the gathering // fifa in  the same spirit)

=> perennial transgeneartionnal marketing politics // warmongering brut force reflex on the urge politics sort of exagerated and extended metaphor
( %%ratio of "with aggresive layer games" on xbox/ps4/wii mostly sum up it all a socio/psycho scale [and censored ruleZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz])

(see also recreating a link between people after the rise of gaming the last ((40 20)) years=> ref sega dreamcast sav https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Sega-Dreamcast-VMU.jpg/800px-Sega-Dreamcast-VMU.jpgcard amongst the first on that layer, and then , phone apps and all lately)

imho (short version)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

On 10/20/2016 at 11:27 AM, Alshain said:

…Watching the video again it doesn't appear to have Motion controls or touch screen features highlighted either, which may mean they don't exist…

According to the features page, the controllers are motion devices and the screen is a touchscreen. It's one of those fancy webpages you'll have to scroll through a whole lot to find it, though.

I doubt it will get much play as a touchscreen, though, as that would lock you out of the connected-to-tv aspect. Would be nice if it could double as a tablet, though.

And I'm not sure what to think about the multiplayer, playing up the bringing-8-consoles-together thing. At least you and your friends are in the same place, but in the past Nintendo has been the only company to insist that "multiplayer" means "you and your friends, on the same couch, at the same TV." Although you can obviously do some multiplayer (2 player) by splitting up the controller, how many controllers can pair to the same console at once?

16 hours ago, pincushionman said:

According to the features page, the controllers are motion devices and the screen is a touchscreen. It's one of those fancy webpages you'll have to scroll through a whole lot to find it, though.

I doubt it will get much play as a touchscreen, though, as that would lock you out of the connected-to-tv aspect. Would be nice if it could double as a tablet, though.

And I'm not sure what to think about the multiplayer, playing up the bringing-8-consoles-together thing. At least you and your friends are in the same place, but in the past Nintendo has been the only company to insist that "multiplayer" means "you and your friends, on the same couch, at the same TV." Although you can obviously do some multiplayer (2 player) by splitting up the controller, how many controllers can pair to the same console at once?

I made that reply 3 months ago when we didn't have that information.

Since then I've decided this console is best left on the store shelf.  Nothing about it seems like a good idea.  Especially 3 little words... Paid Online Services.

The new controllers do look like they've got some interesting tech in them, but the price is eye-watering.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to the inevitable price-crash on second-hand Wii-U consoles.

3 hours ago, pxi said:

On the other hand, I am looking forward to the inevitable price-crash on second-hand Wii-U consoles.

Too late, that happened about a year after it was released.  That is what happens when you release a console and then don't bother releasing any games to play on it for a year.

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

Too late, that happened about a year after it was released.  That is what happens when you release a console and then don't bother releasing any games to play on it for a year.

Are we talking retail or the second-hand market, because I'm referring to the latter.  If the former, then I do agree.

I may not be looking in the right places, admittedly I've not really put much effort into it, but to give you an idea I've picked up 2 Wii consoles, 2 Wiimotes & Numchucks, and a classic controller from local CEX stores for a combined total of roughly €80 in the past 3 months.

Cheapest I've seen a basic Wii U go for was in the region of €140.  I'm quite confident I'll see cheaper than that in the next year or so.

Edited by pxi

2 hours ago, pxi said:

Are we talking retail or the second-hand market, because I'm referring to the latter.  If the former, then I do agree.

I may not be looking in the right places, admittedly I've not really put much effort into it, but to give you an idea I've picked up 2 Wii consoles, 2 Wiimotes & Numchucks, and a classic controller from local CEX stores for a combined total of roughly €80 in the past 3 months.

Cheapest I've seen a basic Wii U go for was in the region of €140.  I'm quite confident I'll see cheaper than that in the next year or so.

Second hand market.  People got bored with the thing very fast and almost immediately started dumping them.  Sure, I'm confident it will get cheaper and cheaper until it becomes a collectors item and then gets more and more expensive.  It just depends on how long you want to wait.

I'm not getting rid of mine, I think it is a great console, and I have several games (mostly Zelda titles) that I like to play again and again.

Edited by Alshain

56 minutes ago, Alshain said:

It just depends on how long you want to wait.

I can wait.  I've more than enough stuff stockpiled to entertain me in the meantime, and the price for used Wii software is beyond cheap at the moment anyway, so that's keeping my wallet occupied in any case.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

I'm not getting rid of mine, I think it is a great console, and I have several games (mostly Zelda titles) that I like to play again and again

No argument there.  Nintendo's stuff in general is excellent.  The third-party stuff maybe not so much, but I'm really only interested in the stuff that's exclusive to the console anyway.

On 16.1.2017 at 2:24 AM, pincushionman said:

Not sure if the touchscreen will be used much in games, as you say it would in work then docked. Pretty sure is for tablet use and then mostly for web browsing, who is nice so you don't need to bring an tablet and an Switch. Secondary would be an switch version of pokermon go and other Nintendo mobile games. 

You can buy extra joy controllers but not sure you can link more than two to the console. As games should work in handheld mode to it would be very unpractical with 4 players on the small screen :)

On 1/17/2017 at 6:42 AM, magnemoe said:

Not sure if the touchscreen will be used much in games, as you say it would in work then docked. Pretty sure is for tablet use and then mostly for web browsing, who is nice so you don't need to bring an tablet and an Switch. Secondary would be an switch version of pokermon go and other Nintendo mobile games. 

You can buy extra joy controllers but not sure you can link more than two to the console. As games should work in handheld mode to it would be very unpractical with 4 players on the small screen :)

Based on what we have seen, only 2 joycons work on one console, but you can link several consoles.

• 1 month later...

So I just saw my first TV advert for the Switch, and it seems they're going with "1-2-Switch" as the title to persuade people to buy it.

Honestly I couldn't think of a less attractive reason to buy a new console.  I mean, I know the launch line-up is rather lacking but that's the best they can come up with?

Initialy i was a fan of the idea, but Nintendo kinda messed up. The price is to high for the hardware; modern smartphone SoCs are way more powerfull than that and dont cost to much (high end ones are ~30$), similar with the internal storage...

2 hours ago, pxi said:

So I just saw my first TV advert for the Switch, and it seems they're going with "1-2-Switch" as the title to persuade people to buy it.

Honestly I couldn't think of a less attractive reason to buy a new console.  I mean, I know the launch line-up is rather lacking but that's the best they can come up with?

Actually, no.  1-2-Switch is not a pack in, there is no pack in game at all.  So you have to allocate funds to buy the console, and something to play on it.

The biggest persuasion to buy is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.  Of course if you own a Wii U, that isn't much persuasion.

2 hours ago, Elthy said:

Initialy i was a fan of the idea, but Nintendo kinda messed up. The price is to high for the hardware; modern smartphone SoCs are way more powerfull than that and dont cost to much (high end ones are ~30$), similar with the internal storage...

I agree, it's less powerful than a PS4 and more expensive.  Unless you just really want the mobility, it's not a very good value.  They are making the same mis-marketing mistakes they made on the Wii U.  They keep trying to push it as a console that goes mobile, but at that cost the public will view it as a mobile that connects to the TV, and therefore console buyers will ignore it and mobile buyers haven't been targeted.  I suspect this will not perform much better than the Wii U.  Whats worse is it has less features than the Wii U.  I mean it's technically more powerful, but other than the ability to go mobile, it has nothing more and a lot less.

Edited by Alshain

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

Actually, no.  1-2-Switch is not a pack in, there is no pack in game at all.  So you have to allocate funds to buy the console, and something to play on it.

The biggest persuasion to buy is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.  Of course if you own a Wii U, that isn't much persuasion.

Oh I'm well aware of this.  What surprises me is that they are advertising 1-2-Switch instead of BotW, or just about any other title that they have on the horizon. I was under the impression that Nintendo is meant to be re-focusing on the core gaming audience, but I'm now starting to believe they're preparing to go straight back to the casual audience - who in fairness did help them shift a whole heap of Wii's.

Re-read my post, I said nothing about 1-2-Switch being a pack-in title.  I was commenting on the message of the advert conveying 1) We have a new console, and 2) there's this game for it where you can milk a virtual cow and have a virtual quickdraw duel.  That was the whole message of the advert I saw which was meant to result in me throwing money at the screen.  Speaking personally, Nintendo could not have failed harder at getting me excited.

Of course I am basing this off a single advert, I don't generally watch TV these days so I may not be getting the full picture, but if this was my first introduction to the Switch I wouldn't be that excited for it.

4 hours ago, pxi said:

Oh I'm well aware of this.  What surprises me is that they are advertising 1-2-Switch instead of BotW, or just about any other title that they have on the horizon. I was under the impression that Nintendo is meant to be re-focusing on the core gaming audience, but I'm now starting to believe they're preparing to go straight back to the casual audience - who in fairness did help them shift a whole heap of Wii's.

Re-read my post, I said nothing about 1-2-Switch being a pack-in title.  I was commenting on the message of the advert conveying 1) We have a new console, and 2) there's this game for it where you can milk a virtual cow and have a virtual quickdraw duel.  That was the whole message of the advert I saw which was meant to result in me throwing money at the screen.  Speaking personally, Nintendo could not have failed harder at getting me excited.

Of course I am basing this off a single advert, I don't generally watch TV these days so I may not be getting the full picture, but if this was my first introduction to the Switch I wouldn't be that excited for it.

My mistake.

The reason they are advertising 1-2 Switch is because BotW is basically a port from the Wii U version.  While technically a dual release it was in development since before the Wii U was released, it got delayed, a lot.  I've been waiting 4 years for it now.  Anyway, because of this it doesn't support many of the features that are exclusive to Switch, such as HD Rumble and the multiplayer joycon experience.  Switch was barely even considered at that point, though filed patents show they had in fact considered it.

Edited by Alshain

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a Switch at launch, and I'm loving Breath of the Wild... I still think Nintendo was kinda dumb selling 1 2 Switch as a separate title, rather than a pack in, but I think they have fair reasons...

A March launch is weird for such a big product launch, and not having a pack in game hurts initial sales. I think Nintendo is playing the long game here, though. Hardcore Nintendo gamers who KNOW they want the switch... Those are the ones who will show up and buy at or near launch. I know I bundled up in my thicket, most well lined leather trench coat and stood in 18°F (-9°C) weather for hours to wait in line in front of a Walmart to get mine. Those hardcore fans... They couldn't care less about not-Zelda... I honestly don't know what the other two launch games were besides Zelda and 1 2 Switch. Us hardcore nintendo fans will buy the first run and be happy with it cause ZELDA YEAH!!!1one :cool:

Nintendo actually produced quite a few more units than just what was pre-ordered. Pre-orders sold out pretty fast, and I wasn't able to get a pre-order. I got my Switch as a day one walk in, and as previously stated, stood in line for it. A lot of the people who really wanted one from the start... Got theirs! That's good!

What I suspect will happen, is Nintendo is counting on a second surge, come this holiday season. The limited numbers initially will drive a perception of rarity, but there will be nearly a year's worth of production to prepare for the holiday buying season. I think they will eventually include a pack in game to promote the system for the Holidays.

As for my personal experience? I LOVE the Switch! I've been playing it for a week now, and it hasn't crashed even once. Zelda has been an incredible experience, and It still blows me away how far mobile graphics have come. Quite frankly, It's proving to be my favorite system. I have a PS4 and a new 3DS, and I already know given the choice, i'll buy titles for the Switch. The portability actually is kinda cool. I think a lot of people think of it as a handheld that hooks to a TV, but It honestly feels more like a console you can take on the go, to me. I really can't even explain it... I feel like it leans more console than handheld.

It also has one more benefit... Since it's so portable, I expect to see people with the machines out and about. It's the type of system that can advertise itself. You can take it with you, show your friends, let them join in on a game. Strangers are likely to see other strangers playing it, and overall, word of mouth is a powerful thing. I think by Christmas, the more casual crowd will have heard more about the Switch, and if Nintendo adds a pack in game by that time (even if it's preloaded DLC, or a download code), then it'll be an easy Christmas sell. That's when the Switch will  take off.

At least that's my theory.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.