KSP Weekly: The new Devnotes

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_off2f9MPa81rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, Kerbonauts! This is the new format for the Devnotes and every Friday, we will continue to share the weekly highlights of KSP development, news and more!

Basically, we decided to change the day for this publication in order to be able to get any kerbal news to you fresh from the oven, without having to wait over the weekend to publish them (this also helps us to write about our weekly activities just after we’ve carried them out). Without further ado, let’s begin!

First of all, the whole team wants to say another massive thanks to you all of you bug hunters in the pre-release testing, we’ve got a really impressive 1.2 in no small part to all your help.

The QA team has been quite busy during these past couple of weeks. This time has been taken up with triage and investigation into some outstanding reports in readiness for a potential patch. It appears that most of the reports are more feedback than outright bugs, and that bears testament to the excellent pre-release reports that we received. Feedback is always good, and allows us to focus on those improvements instead of chasing bugs. To put this into context, and for those that like their numbers. Between 1.1.3 and 1.2 there were:

• Over 3000 code revisions
  • Over 100 branch merges
  • Nearly 1000 internal and public issue reports resolved (including feature additions)

On the dev side and with 1.2 out the door, we’ve been monitoring feedback, and working on a combination of small fixes and things that didn’t quite make it in time for the 1.2 code freeze to be bundled in 1.2.1.  This involved planning, delving into some model issues and working on finishing the biome updates.

An example of these bugs people have found is the standardisation in gravity values to 9.80665, making the planet orbits shift ever so slightly and the geosync heights change - they’ll be back in their right positions, and another has been the UI flicker in the editor scene that is seen once you load up enough parts. Another relevant fix was the lights on the thrusters. Currently we’re working on fixing the Fuel Flow bug, as well, and the team has also been working on recompiling the Asteroid Day mission for 1.2, and we’ll have it ready for you all really soon.

This week, there has been also a lot of work on localizing the game: we’ve been reviewing the overall solution for localization while making sure that we will be able to support mod localization. During this localization process, some of our devs had to learn in depth the insides of the KSPedia to come up with a solution for its localization. We still can’t announce which languages we will include, though, but we would definitely love to hear your opinion.

Moreover, and as many of you probably know, we’ve been recruiting talent since june, we’ve interviewed many candidates and we’re really excited to have new talent join our ranks, we’ll introduce our newest team member next week.

Furthermore, a couple of us got the chance to go to Steam Dev Days, which certainly was a fantastic experience, where we did not only got the chance to learn about the latest technologies and trends of the industry, but we met many fellow developers who share the same passion towards gaming as we do, many of them were KSP fans, as well! It was great to meet all of these amazing people and we gave them some Jeb plushies we hope they will enjoy.

While in Seattle, we also had the chance to participate in a Microsoft’s ID@Xbox meeting, where we had the chance to chat with other indie developers and share our experiences.

We’ll continue to participate in upcoming industry events and we’ll keep giving away Jeb plushies, whenever we go to these events.

The Jeb plushies became a hit since we started giving them away. Unfortunately, our previous provider stopped making them, but on the bright side, we still have many of them in stock and we will continue to give them away. We will be making several contest via Social Media Channels, so stayed tuned in order to get your own Jeb.

We have been in a continuous makeover of our Social Media interactions; not only to update the content we share, but on how we’ll use the different channels we have to better engage with the community. For example, we will export KSPTV highlights to our YouTube channel; there is a great deal of fantastic content being made by the talented streamers that are part of KSPTV and we want to help them share it. We hope you enjoy those highlights and do not worry, we will continue to share trailers, teasers and shorts in that channel whenever we produce them.

In addition we would absolutely love to hear some feedback about Squadcast. What would you like to see there?

This week we stumbled upon this amazing gift that the fellow Kebonaut, Paarma, received from his sister:

tumblr_inline_off2ldmAWQ1rr2wit_540.jpg

Learn more about it here.

This also reminds us, that we recently made available some printable 3D-Pods blueprints that you can download here.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

No mention of the ps4 patch you guys are testing for flying Tiger but time to talk about stuffed toys? Squad you lot are a disgrace,  your game should be withdrawn from the Sony store.  I'm so angry that you've just ignored yet again the broken mess that you're selling to people. Con artists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Am I actually... First?

... really? so U like to be THAT guy... congrats!

Topic: looking forward to those improvements / fixes but a little sad that nothing has been said about consoles.
I dont have one, but i wonder whats happening to those gamers.

Localization: French, german, spanish, italian and russian might be the most needed ones (i guess IMHO).

1 minute ago, RW1984 said:

No mention of the ps4 patch you guys are testing for flying Tiger but time to talk about stuffed toys? Squad you lot are a disgrace,  your game should be withdrawn from the Sony store.  I'm so angry that you've just ignored yet again the broken mess that you're selling to people. Con artists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how they mentioned they were in Seattle at an ID@Xbox meeting because the game shouldn't be on the Microsoft store either. I wonder if Squad had a chance to learn about Xbox's early access program, for games that are unfinished and still in development, such as KSP on console. 

Awesome! I know we're a long way away but what might 1.3 have? I'm sure we're all curious. What is the main thrust of it? 1.0 was adding a realistic (-er) atmosphere, 1.1 was the change to unity 5 and 1.2 was telemetry? What is 1.3? Can you even tell us that yet?

Thanks.

Fire

5 minutes ago, RW1984 said:

Mate they just released a big update. Besides. I'm sure they're working on it! Give them a break ok?

3 minutes ago, EliasDanger said:

Brace yourselves, angry console players are coming

To be fair every one has big burning questions they would have rather heard about than a discontinued line of Jeb plushies 

(Ok everyone chant with me now Ballance patch! Rocket revamp! Ballance patch! Rocket revamp! Ballance patch! Rocket revamp! Ballance patch! Rocket revamp!)

1 minute ago, passinglurker said:

To be fair every one has big burning questions they would have rather heard about than a discontinued line of Jeb plushies 

(Ok everyone chant with me now Ballance patch! Rocket revamp! Ballance patch! Rocket revamp! Ballance patch! Rocket revamp! Ballance patch! Rocket revamp!)

Are we mad they mentioned the plushies or are we mad they didn't mention whatever every random person thinks is important to them at this given moment?

8 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Awesome! I know we're a long way away but what might 1.3 have? I'm sure we're all curious. What is the main thrust of it? 1.0 was adding a realistic (-er) atmosphere, 1.1 was the change to unity 5 and 1.2 was telemetry? What is 1.3? Can you even tell us that yet?

Thanks.

Fire

Mate they just released a big update. Besides. I'm sure they're working on it! Give them a break ok?

We've been left high and dry for three and a half months so shut it mate

1 minute ago, EliasDanger said:

Are we mad they mentioned the plushies or are we mad they didn't mention whatever every random person thinks is important to them at this given moment?

Heh just because they are in a no win situation doesn't mean they can get away with not trying :wink:

The plushies are just a scape goat because it isn't really about game development. :P

Just now, RW1984 said:

We've been left high and dry for three and a half months so shut it mate

Hmmm. Three months? Was their a pc update in that time? Remember: a majority of the players play in PC. Plus PC was the original. They will fix it. Also they're way slowed down because of a lot of devs leaving. Just wait, ok?

Fire

1 minute ago, passinglurker said:

Heh just because they are in a no win situation doesn't mean they can get away with not trying :wink:

The plushies are just a scape goat because it isn't really about game development. :P

I am just hoping that if I defend the plushies hard enough, they'll send me a free one.

2 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

ANYWAY. 

This is what the Squad guys have been up to this week. Please do not attack each other about it. 

Sorry. I will stop now.

Fire

(Sorry for double posting!)

Edited by Firemetal

57 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

This week, there has been also a lot of work on localizing the game: we’ve been reviewing the overall solution for localization while making sure that we will be able to support mod localization. During this localization process, some of our devs had to learn in depth the insides of the KSPedia to come up with a solution for its localization. We still can’t announce which languages we will include, though, but we would definitely love to hear your opinion.

Nice to see that this is still in the works.

Also, a lot of people have already said it, but there is a big international community here that would be happy to help translating the game in their own languages.

As for the languages, everyone is eventually going to ask for his language to be included, so...

Edited by Gaarst

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.