Video Recording

Der Anfang

There are definitely a huge variety of softwares, and each must be considered for the pros and cons. A lot of content-makers use Fraps (such as myself), but a big downside is its downright enormous file sizes.

I'm not an expert, to say the least, but there definitely is freeware out there. Of course, don't expect much, because it's... free. Editing software can be a tad pricy too, so you definitely want to make sure that you really really really really really really really want to get into making videos before you get too far.

Things to note:

OBS recording files do not import into Premiere Pro (I know you said free, but still a headsup), so I wouldn't recommend OBS. Also that chews CPU.

Fraps is what I generally use and it is easy to get it for free. No drop in performance on my end at all and good to use. only downside is large file sizes bit since I have a 3T HDD nothing wrong with that.

Shadow play is an option to, but I HATE the new GeForce Experience layout 

I haven't had much luck with OBS, and Fraps has been hit or miss for me for non-full screen recording.  I use oddly sized monitors and you want 16:9 for YouTube and other posting if you can.

I use Bandicam.  It's rather cheap with a lifetime license per system, and works like a charm.

The real concern you're going to have, if you're not going to simply record then post, is editing.  You're looking for a NLE, Non-Linear Editor, and there's only so many options.  Windows Movie Maker will let you cut your teeth, or whatever they're calling it these days, but when you get serious there's 3 options.  Premiere Pro from Adobe, Pinnacle, and Sony's editor.  I have a CC subscription from Adobe now, because the others just bugged out anytime I did anything complex.  Adobe has its issues too, but they're less frequent and I've found their devs to be a lot more responsive.

4 hours ago, matik2002 said:

Well, it depends. I mostly use OBS to record, but only if the game runs smooth (which isn't, cuz computer issues)

IF you want something that isn't free, then Fraps I guess. Will help you with recording stuff like VAB/SPH creations.

Yes. I had Fraps for a little bit. Although, I was really confused, as I couldn't seem to get any of my recordings beyond 30 seconds each. Is that a non-premium feature where you're supposed to buy it if you want longer recordings?

2 hours ago, Der Anfang said:

Yes. I had Fraps for a little bit. Although, I was really confused, as I couldn't seem to get any of my recordings beyond 30 seconds each. Is that a non-premium feature where you're supposed to buy it if you want longer recordings?

Yes, also removes the watermark (if it still has that).

OBS and Shadowplay(if you have a compatible GPU) are the best options for free recording software. I use Shadowplay myself as It provides the best balance of Performance, Image quality and file size for my needs. Shadowplay lets me record at up to 4K60FPS with little to no noticeable performance loss. However it does require a NVidia GTX 600 series or higher GPU.

OBS does work for most all hardware configurations, and offers a few features that Shadowplay does not, but it is nothing that I can't achieve in editing.

If you have Windows 10, you can always try the built-in screen recorder. I'be never heard anyone actually suggest it, though, so I'm sure it isn't better than the other free alternatives.

As for editors, I use VideoPad. It ain't free (I paid $80), but there is very little in the free department besides those that offer basic cutting and splicing. But do try a basic free program first, to see if you're really interested in dropping cash on this sort of thing.

Edited by pincushionman

On 2016-10-22 at 10:56 PM, matik2002 said:

Well, it depends. I mostly use OBS to record, but only if the game runs smooth (which isn't, cuz computer issues)

I noticed that OBS can create issues on single or double core CPUs.

KSP is very CPU bound but doesn't utilise more than a few threads.

So on my quad core desktop (with HT -> pseudo 8 cores) OBS doesn't slow KSP at all, while on my twin core laptop it hits like a hammer.

15 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

I noticed that OBS can create issues on single or double core CPUs.

KSP is very CPU bound but doesn't utilise more than a few threads.

So on my quad core desktop (with HT -> pseudo 8 cores) OBS doesn't slow KSP at all, while on my twin core laptop it hits like a hammer.

OBS doesn't slow KSP for me, because of course the 100% disk usage is my main issue, that's why I don't record.

Once Microsoft fixes this issue I will be finally able to record.

@matik2002 The disk should not be bottlenecking your recording, there may be an issue with your hard drive.

I personally use either shadowplay or configure OBS to use nvidia's hardware accelerated encoder, it works wonders and allows me to tune my settings more deeply than shadowplay, also more consistent live streaming.

If you don't have those I don't suggest fraps, go for OBS, learn about encoding formats and experiment a lot with quality settings to find a setup that you like.

3 hours ago, matik2002 said:

OBS doesn't slow KSP for me, because of course the 100% disk usage is my main issue, that's why I don't record.

Once Microsoft fixes this issue I will be finally able to record.

A bit the reverse for me.

The disks on my gaming desktop is tragically slow, but the laptop has a lightning fast SSD.

So yeah, spare cycles and spare disk bw is most likely the key for most screen recorders.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.