Jumping Rocket Car Off A Ramp

Nicole

Hey Kerbalnauts! I decided to pick up KSP again after a while away, and I made another video. The wheel physics are so much better since I last played so I thought I could actually drive up a jump I make myself without exploding too easily this time. I wondered if anyone else has done this sort of thing with similar limits (No using the cheats to save joints or damage, no flying like a plane, or using advantageous mods, etc), and if so how I did compared to them? Well maybe you enjoy the video, have a nice day! :confused:

On 10/24/2016 at 1:23 PM, BT Industries said:

Great video!!!

Was very entertaining...

Amazing how your rover can actually take off and land all by itself (no ramp or parachute!!!).

Thank you! Someone on Reddit said they think the airbrakes apply wing surface that gives lift, but I don't think that is what happen. The airbrakes position and the low position of the boosters work together to torque the car back, and at max speed the underside of the car can lift it in the air when angled back that way, that's my guess.

13 hours ago, Nicole said:

Thank you! Someone on Reddit said they think the airbrakes apply wing surface that gives lift, but I don't think that is what happen. The airbrakes position and the low position of the boosters work together to torque the car back, and at max speed the underside of the car can lift it in the air when angled back that way, that's my guess.

I agree, it is most defiantly the torque.

I built this "ramp" the other day in KSP and I named it, "KICKER RAMP" just like that, in ALL caps. I was so proud, jeb died SO many times on it. I though this thing was the greatest, i jumped over the ENTIRE pool next to the Admin building. The ramp was like 10 feet tall, and now I'm watching your video like O_O OMG MY POOR BABY RAMP. Your video(s) are seriously great, I had to go rename my ramp "Baby One"

On 23/10/2016 at 8:09 AM, Nicole said:

Hey Kerbalnauts! I decided to pick up KSP again after a while away, and I made another video. The wheel physics are so much better since I last played so I thought I could actually drive up a jump I make myself without exploding too easily this time. I wondered if anyone else has done this sort of thing with similar limits (No using the cheats to save joints or damage, no flying like a plane, or using advantageous mods, etc), and if so how I did compared to them? Well maybe you enjoy the video, have a nice day! :confused:

Superb... best thing I've seen for a long time, especially the sheer destructive force of the 1st attempt at jumping the runway.

12 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Do you have the craft link for the 2 vehicles??

Also, what are the top speed of those thing???

Great videos btw!!!!!

You can get one of the vehicles here:

The top speed of the second car is about Mach 1 judging from the IVA in the video itself, other than that I didn't really check. :)

12 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

How high is the VAB, and what is the length of the runway?

The VAB is probably about 1,000 kerbals high, and the Runway maybe 10,000 kerbals long. You'd have to speak to an engineer or someone with a tape measure for a more accurate answer. :confused:

1 hour ago, Nicole said:

The VAB is probably about 1,000 kerbals high, and the Runway maybe 10,000 kerbals long. You'd have to speak to an engineer or someone with a tape measure for a more accurate answer.

Well, the mountain range to the west of KSC is at least a few hundred times that. Challenge accepted. :cool:

6 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Well, the mountain range to the west of KSC is at least a few hundred times that. Challenge accepted. :cool:

That would be an impressive feat, to jump Mt. Keverest. If you watched my videos above you'll see how much I re-engineered both the ramp and the car, yet the extra distance I was trying to achieve to clear the Runway was not a whole lot farther. I realized during that time that I was dealing with diminishing returns. The faster I went the more drag there was to rip away my initial speed, and the faster I went the more the ramp angle needed to be decreased, because part tolerances were being pushed to the limit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.