Ideas please...

maceemiller

HI all. so, since 1.2 has been released I've changed the way I play in sandbox mode but I could do with some suggestions. normally I would do a mission in sandbox....complete it then delete all craft etc then do another mission and so on....since 1.2 I've put a satellite scanning the Mun which, when finished will go to Minmus and a satellite orbiting Kerbing for docking practice. I'd like to visit all the moons and planets but need a purpose for doing so. ideas anyone? contemplating colonising planets but is it worth it? rover expeditions? etc....

Looking  forward to anyone's ideas and thought. ... :)

Mods. All the parts mods that you can find and that you like the look of (assuming they work well together). Some good ones are Pathfinder (requires KIS/KAS), Mark One Laboratory Extensions (is greatly improved by KIS/KAS), and anything by Nertea or Necrobones. Scansat is also a good one.

Once you have that, try designing realistically-styled space programs to explore one particular place, rather than doing one or two missions to everywhere. Believe me, it's incredibly satisfying to see 2 stations, 7 surface bases, and a large satellite network on a single planetary system. Duna's a good place to start with this.

The things that any targeted exploration program usually requires (by end-game) are the following:

• Standardized launch vehicles that cover a wide payload range. Save them as subassemblies and you won't have to design a new launch vehicle for every payload. If you really want to challenge yourself, you should also use standard fairing sizes and compact payloads to the volume that your launch vehicles can carry as well as their payload capacity (I've tried this before and it's a very interesting exercise in payload design).
  • A satellite network. This is especially important with 1.2, as you now not only need scanning and science satellites, but also communications back to Kerbin. It's good to send a lot of small communications satellites at once, with one or two large relays for the interplanetary connection. It's also good to put a couple of large relay satellites in solar orbit, so that you can communicate with Kerbin even when it's on the other side of the Sun.
  • Modular surface bases. You need standard modules for habitation, communication, power, mining (usually), ISRU and fuel storage (usually most useful on Tylo and Eve), science equipment and labs, and sometimes an observation module if you want to complete a contract. You also need a way of precisely landing these in your chosen base location.
  • Rovers. It's often easiest to assemble a modular base with rovers, since they can pick up modules and move them around (you could put wheels on them all but part count is something to take into account). Crew transport rovers are usually nice to have, for gathering science from nearby biomes, finding nearby anomalies, or simply transporting the crew to their return vehicle if you landed it too far from the base. If you're refuelling the crew transport on the surface, you also usually need a refuelling rover (unless your precision landing skills are good enough to land directly on a docking port).
  • Modular space stations. You can generally make good use of at least one space station in orbit of a planet you are exploring, though it can be useful to have separate ones for refuelling and for crew habitation/science. Design standard modules that can be assembled for a desired purpose. You'll need the same sort of modules as the bases, except you need docking ports for any vehicles that will be going to/from the station (and of course you can skip the drills).
  • Reusable transports. You need a single-stage vehicle for taking the crew to/from the surface (unless on Eve, where that is challenging). You need at least one reusable interplanetary transport. This should be able to carry several base modules and/or station modules each time it transfers to the destination, as well as being able to transport several kerbals. If you're using a station as an orbital fuel depot, you also need a reusable way of getting fuel from the surface to the station.
  • Kerbin-based infrastructure. You'll need ways to take crew and fuel to your interplanetary transport vehicle when it is in Kerbin orbit. If you're any good at spaceplanes, you may be able to skip the standardized launch vehicles that were mentioned earlier, and send most things up in a spaceplane (though technically it will still need to be standardized).

Personally I like to start small and build up to a significant planetary exploration infrastructure. I'll start with small, non-reusable or partially-reusable missions based on early technology, and then over the course of several decades I build up to a fairly complex and fully reusable planetary exploration infrastructure. I did this sort of thing for Eve a while ago (though the surface-to-orbit transports were only partially reusable) and it was very satisfying to complete. I'll be doing it again fairly soon (once some planet mods that I need are updated) and posting it on the forums, because I have some new ideas that I think will be fun.

Overall, long-term exploration programs that target a specific planet are one of my favourite ways to play the game. I do like to make use of as many transfer windows as possible, so I'll often do several of these sort of programs at once for different places, and perhaps that might be a good idea for you to do since you said you want to visit all of the celestial bodies. Also, if you get bored with the stock system, try installing some planet mods when they update to the new version.

Edited by eloquentJane

The only 'purpose' you NEED is that you want to, and you already have that.

As for mission ideas to give it some context and structure...

An obvious one is to scan for and visit the anomalies.   Maybe set up some mining and refuelling facilities to help your exploration as an extra side mission.

10 minutes ago, pandaman said:

The only 'purpose' you NEED is that you want to, and you already have that.

I think @maceemiller means that they're looking for inspiration. Like, sure they know that they want to explore the planets, but they don't know how they want to do it or what to do once at their destination.

4 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

I think @maceemiller means that they're looking for inspiration. Like, sure they know that they want to explore the planets, but they don't know how they want to do it or what to do once at their destination.

Yes, that's why I also suggested searching for anomalies and possibly mining too, to give some 'context and structure' to his exploration :cool:.

7 hours ago, Overland said:

If you got a steering wheel.or.joystick trains are good with the infernal robotics beta core..works on 1.2 well

Got a whole kerbin to explore.

Dont orbit it..drive it 

@Overland I have a joystick and  a Logitech DFP wheel however my rovers are not worthy of using either device!

Years ago, there was a colonization challenge on this forum that was quite a lot of fun.  You may want to do a modern variant of that.  The challenge was basically this: get at least 6 Kerbals each living comfortably on as many celestial bodies as possible.  Bonus points were awarded for colonies that had rovers, mining facilities, and other auxiliary structures, as well as having more Kerbals living there.  For added challenge, also stick on a life support mod like TAC Life Support.

35 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

Trying a career mode but I have to admit....it's boring me to death....

Whats boring exactly?

Ohh mmm probably how you have nothing when you start out? I could see how that would probably be boring in the beginning coming from sandbox. :(

@RX2000 it's the science that's boring. .....take a science sample here at over 17k, a crew report here.....to be honest I don't like the science side of KSP anyway....goo containers ,  temperature etc....that's not me. I understand that the missions will get better but I have to do the science to unlock more parts to do the mission in the first place.....that for me just isn't working....this is why I've never got into a career game. this is about the 5th time I've tried (been playing since 0.90).....

Edited by maceemiller

Driving rovers and trains with a wheel and pedals can be a very rewarding experience far greater than using keys :)

Controls configured nicely mean the rovers acceleration takes on a smooth gliding start..power when you need it and generally most purpose built rover wheels such as for the buffalo rovers stop accelerating at a decent point and even stop using power until they encounter a hill..letting batteries recharge with say RTGs on flat terrain or gentle downslope..all.the while your foots depressing the pedal full way..its the little details you start to notice that makes it a great experience

Sadly one of my favorate mods Rover Wheelsound mod seems to no longer work under 1.2, a rather critical component to enjoyment

having driven with a wheel and pedals (sometime with joystick too for throttle)

For hundreds of kilometres..id say its one of the nicer things to do in KSP. Add some good music..chai tea or coffee and plant yourself infront of the wheel for a few hours..youll quickly realise flying over kerbin or orbiting it from space missed out on one of KSPs most overlooked qualities

Soon youll learn the lay of the land outside of KSC then sail into the unknown beyond

Jet powered trains and rovers do have thier place too..but they slip into overspeed too easily and make steep hills a rather smokey mess

One thing you can do to get the feel.of things though..build a bus..plug in your wheel and once its configured..go for a drive around KSC

Youll see if driving around.kerbins for you...given you have a wheel..id say it might be :)

@Overland I use my wheel for Asseto Corsa,  rfactor and Race 07....I think unfortunately KSP on the ground will fall very short of expectations however the game was never designed for this. Reflecting on what I've read and tried (yet again a "failed to enjoy" career mode) I'm probably best sticking to 1 off missions created in sandbox when I think of them . possibly, for me the game may have reached its limit. BTW, before anyone says it, planes don't float my boat.....

I know what you mean about career n science modes, i last a day at most. Be nice if we could do something with the science we get in sandbox, least we get a nice map with scansat sats etc what kerbnet lacks imo, but i digress..... Ideas, well, ive just started a Lil kis kas kolony type game for myself, with various rules......guidelines, that i may or may not keep to :wink: 

but yer, i struggle to find motivation sometimes, especially when bugs start hitting. Hey ho

career is grindy at first, but once i've got all the tech unlocked and buildings upgraded, its like sandbox but with a fund constraint, and some payloads to have a purpose (where collecting science and researching brings more funds). Late in career, one doesn't worry about funds or science.

You might as well do 1 continuous sandbox, where you do things like establish an ISRU base on Minmus, Ike, and Gilly, then use those to support missions to eve/moho/Jool and all 5 of its moons.

My 1.1 career save had gone a long way, with ISRU on Gilly, Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, Val, Laythe, and Tekto (Outer planets Mod)... additionally with orbital/surface fuel depots/labs to churn out funds (using science to fund conversion)

my current save I dropped science awards to 50% and then added DMagic Orbital Science. This gave me more experiments but still reduced my net science rewards well below 100%. I thought it might increase my grind, but it hasn't really. What it has done is make me pick science purchases really carefully. For the first time ever I'm going to do a series of unmanned lunar missions before sending a manned capsule. In previous saves I've had the points to just send manned missions and it's been kind of fun to plan some fairly low tech science missions to unlock what I need for manned launches.

5 hours ago, maceemiller said:

@RX2000 it's the science that's boring. .....take a science sample here at over 17k, a crew report here.....to be honest I don't like the science side of KSP anyway....goo containers ,  temperature etc....that's not me. I understand that the missions will get better but I have to do the science to unlock more parts to do the mission in the first place.....that for me just isn't working....this is why I've never got into a career game. this is about the 5th time I've tried (been playing since 0.90).....

Hmmm ok. Yea I understand what you are saying, but thats definitely a foreign concept to me. :wink: I prefer the "grindy" aspect of the career mode because I feel like I have to "work" to get everything unlocked, so it feels like more of an achievement when I do it.

I can never have any fun in games where everything is just given to me right off the bat. :(

Edited by RX2000

Just found out wheel sound mod is updated for 1.2 

The buffalo wheels use it natively via modual manager

I know you said KSP might not give you the feels  vs a more serious driving sim .

But I too own the likes of osmi 2, stock car extreme and the like. 

Yet its KSP i come back too

These buffalo wheels on any rover are gold standard for wheels that act like wheels.. Rover wheelsound adds electric drive sound..popping and skidding 

Power something with a few RTGs

Add some infernal robotics swivels..join the growing numbers of ground pounders :)

Mix and match a few mods..suddenly your putting a truck sim to shame driving fuel trains to outlying launch bases listerning to midnight oil :)

ZJjw1eO.jpg

Edited by Overland

Added 2x expansion kits (fuel, mono, 5x docking ports, hitchhiker) and a lander to Minmus Station One.

Used the lander on Minmus Station One to grab some data from the snowball (picked up a stranded Kerbonaut on the way back to the station).

Repositioned the 'tugs' used to bring the station expanders in 1:3 sync with the station (they have relay antennas).

In total 9 contracts done, 4 gawkers satisfied, 3 kerbonauts rescued and  science maxed out (except airplane stuff that I never use).

Tomorrow will be Solar Station One and prepping for Duna and Dres.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, RX2000 said:

You should play in Career mode instead of sandbox. The missions (contracts) give you a lot of "ideas" & things to strive for.

Not only that when you fullfill a satalight contract, a bit later in the game they then ask you to move your satalight (by Name no less) to another orbit and add bits to it, which i find amazing and thats tonights misson to dock with more sleeping accomadation + more power.Awoooorrrsummm,  careea mode rocks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.