[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Heisenberg - Airships Part Pack

Angelo Kerman

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I suspect though it's an issue related to ModuleManager.

My apologies, I'm so used to having it downloaded already I didn't even notice neither HL or Heisenberg redistributes it. The lack of any MM at all was the issue. You may want to add it to the dependencies list.

19 hours ago, Khantemplation said:

My apologies, I'm so used to having it downloaded already I didn't even notice neither HL or Heisenberg redistributes it. The lack of any MM at all was the issue. You may want to add it to the dependencies list.

???
WHO uses mods at all, who doesnt already have ModuleManager installed? :P

On 11/5/2016 at 4:48 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Judging from the design, I'd say that these are dirigibles, rather than blimps. Dirigibles have an outer structural frame with a skin stretched over it, and the light-than-air bladders are located inside.

Dirigible comes from a French word meaning "steerable." It is because it can be flown around rather than being blown by the wind that makes it a dirigible.

You know I'm getting flashbacks to Crimson Skies from all the discussion, damn that was a fine game. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge was a decent game, but sadly lacking in some of the things that made the first one great. Really wish someone would get the rights to the IP and make a third installment...

36 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Huh? I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary.

Ok, i was just bug reporting. Is there a spot i should do that? also i dont know why, it doesn't seem to happen when parts are clipped its completely random. And only with yours. (as in not with just hooligan labs parts)

2 hours ago, Deizelpunk said:

Ok, i was just bug reporting. Is there a spot i should do that? also i dont know why, it doesn't seem to happen when parts are clipped its completely random. And only with yours. (as in not with just hooligan labs parts)

Can you define clipped? Do you have an example?

1 hour ago, Shnyrik said:

I can say, that I had some explosions, when I tried to attach airship parts side by side.

Ok, I need more information then. What version of the mod are you using? How are you building your craft, when your airships explode, do you have logs?

And did you paint your airships with rocket fuel? :wink:

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, I need more information then.

I'll try to reproduce that on clean install.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

How are you building your craft, when your airships explode, do you have logs?

I think that it was the large multi-part airstrip between two connected dirigibles that caused explosions in my case %)

UPD. Well, I've made a test and have nothing to report. I didn't manage to reproduce any explosions except when connected side by side dirigibles broke on start just because they were too heavy and I used too little launch clamps.

Edited by Shnyrik

So I won't get to play KSP for another month or so, but I can't stop making plans for when I get back. Knowing that these parts don't explode when they're clipped together is good. I'm looking forward to making custom airframes.

Quick question, though. What's the lifting force of these parts? If I clipped three or four full airship frames together into one super-airship, how much weight could I hang off the bottom?

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, you can take off... but can you land on that thing?

Not in this configuration :wink:

First I'll have to invent where to park other airchraft :)

And something like optical landing system would be very useful for static (parked with AirPark mod) airship. But it is not impossible for airship in movement: low relative speed would make landing as easy as mid-air docking :)

Edited by Shnyrik

5 minutes ago, Shnyrik said:

Not in this configuration :wink:

First I'll have to invent where to park other airchraft :)

And something like optical landing system would be very useful for static (parked with AirPark mod) airship. But it is not impossible for airship in movement: low relative speed would make landing as easy as mid-air docking :)

Parking the other aircraft could be, um, interesting to say the least! :blush: 

Maybe we could impose on @Angel-125 to offer a dirigible part with some sort of "cargo bay" where the doors would open inward? then using Infernal Robotics, lower a segment of the flight deck down to where the aircraft could be "stored" under deck? Just an idea... and not really sure it is doable in KSP...

The images you shared definitely make your model look impressive - even without the ability for aircraft to return to it...

Edited by adsii1970

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I have some ideas :wink:

Maybe we could impose on @Angel-125 to offer a dirigible part with some sort of "cargo bay" where the doors would open inward?

To have inline airship service bay would have been great, of course.

not really sure it is doable in KSP

There is only one way to find it out :)

Edited by Shnyrik

8 minutes ago, Shnyrik said:

I have some ideas :wink:

To have inline airship service bay would have been great, of course.

There is only one way to find it out :)

I've also thought about trying my hand at modding, but to create a "sticky pad" that would act as a docking port. Simply roll over it and it automatically docks the two vessels once the two "sticky pads" come into proximity... Might give it a go once I get the semester grades posted.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Maybe we could impose on @Angel-125 to offer a dirigible part with some sort of "cargo bay" where the doors would open inward? then using Infernal Robotics, lower a segment of the flight deck down to where the aircraft could be "stored" under deck? Just an idea... and not really sure it is doable in KSP...

The images you shared definitely make your model look impressive - even without the ability for aircraft to return to it...

That's actually doable. You wouldn't need Infernal Robotics, just an animated hangar elevator would do it. The hangar/elevator could be "U" shaped so that it is rounded on the bottom and flat on the top. The elevator would then lower until it's about midships (about 5m), leaving the bottom half of the rounded part for storage and lifting bags. Here's a sketch I did to explain it better:

zzqPYZ1.png

I'm currently on a break from the Heisenberg; I got fed up with people trying to push me to build parts the way they wanted them. I was getting complaints about the gondola, the rover body that would be compatible with the gondola parts, different sizes of the tailfins, and the like. I plan to get back to the Heisenberg- I want to use it for my career- but it will be a bit as I'm focusing on finishing up the Kerbal Discovery II for DSEV, and I think it'll take me all of December to do so.

42 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I've also thought about trying my hand at modding, but to create a "sticky pad" that would act as a docking port. Simply roll over it and it automatically docks the two vessels once the two "sticky pads" come into proximity... Might give it a go once I get the semester grades posted.

Docking ports are... interesting.. to get them right. @EJ_SA pulls this off by having small docking ports on the deck of his ships and on the bottom of the vessels he wants to dock, and then lowers the aircraft's gear until the port dock. That seems to work well. A KAS option would be to have an engineer get out and link up KAS ports on the deck and aircraft.

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.