[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Heisenberg - Airships Part Pack

Angelo Kerman

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

I find it interesting That You Named Your Ship After The USS Akron. Otherwise known as the worst airship disaster ever

Other names are available, takes just a few minutes even for someone as artistically challenged as me.

screenshot103_zps0efa9l6p.png

31 minutes ago, dangerhamster said:

Other names are available, takes just a few minutes even for someone as artistically challenged as me.

Yup.  It took me longer to figure that I needed to restart KSP to see the new flag (nameplate) than it took to look up how to create one, open up Photoshop and actually create one, and save it to disk.  Silly me presumed it would be like dropping ships into the VAB/SPH.

BTW, those look like Near Future panels, but where did the ducted fans come from?

2 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Yup.  It took me longer to figure that I needed to restart KSP to see the new flag (nameplate) than it took to look up how to create one, open up Photoshop and actually create one, and save it to disk.  Silly me presumed it would be like dropping ships into the VAB/SPH.

BTW, those look like Near Future panels, but where did the ducted fans come from?

One of the USI mods, I think FTT but don't quote me on that.

On a different note, I decided to take this mod to it's illogical conclusion with the Zapp! model zeppelin. Powered by four WB-1 Fusion reactors (plus one WB-MF) and propelled by six electric plans originally designed for heavy lifting. Sadly, it only managed to reach a speed of 118 m/s, likely because of a lack of aerodynamics and the fact that the fans aren't designed for that kind of speeds. For the next model I shall have to switch to turbojets.

On 2/2/2017 at 7:42 AM, Dark_Derp said:

Amazing mod but it has a couple of issues:

the airships become very unstable if you try to launch a plane from the runway(due to the plane not being attached to the airship, it will not count the weight of the plane which will make the ship crash)

it randomly flips upside down even though I have the center of mass in the right place.

the pitch control sometimes makes your ship go completely vertical.

when I try to attach something radially on the dirigible sections it will simply fall off if I do not strut it with 20 struts.

I really love the mod but the aircraft problem needs to be fixed as it kinda makes it useless.

I can't find the new part from your latest update.

this mod is really awesome if you have a VTOL and you use extraplanetary launchpads because it is attached until you manually release it and after that, you can directly take off making sure that the airship will stay (mostly) straight.

You might want to try this fix quoted from earlier in the thread:

I was having the same rollover problems, and that fixed it. (Note: haven't tried it on the latest update, which I haven't installed yet.)

That said, airships are *very* touchy as far as balance issues, and not always intuitively. There are some nice tips throughout this thread, wish I had time I'd bundle them together somewhere, but you can pick up a lot just skimming through. 

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

Presenting...

For your enjoyment and awe...

The Zapp Mark 2!

Fastest airship known to kerb.

Contains more boosters than any commercially available airship to date.

CSaNnBQ.png

More pictures: http://imgur.com/a/IIs7B

Wow! A jet-powered with booster airship! Way cool, thanks for posting that! :)

10 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Minor bug, may or may not be worth fixing...  Solar panels generating power when they shouldn't.   Maybe disable the panels when the gondola mount is on?

That's actually a stock thing. For some reason, the stock solar panel doesn't think that it's being blocked by the airship hull above it. Given how many permutations there are (attached to hull, attached to a part that's attached to a hull, etc), it's not a simple thing to resolve.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Given how many permutations there are (attached to hull, attached to a part that's attached to a hull, etc), it's not a simple thing to resolve.

I thought it might not be, and like I said probably not a thing to worry about unless it can be simply tied to the visibility of the gondola mount.   Who is actually going to complain about a little extra power?  I just brought it up for completeness sake (sometimes simple bugs are symptomatic of deeper problems).

6 minutes ago, Sudragon said:

I'm having a small problem with this mod, and it's interaction with MechJeb. If i open the MJ planetary data tab to check my location, the speed indicator on the navball goes NaN. 

Any ideas on what causes thid?

Hm, never seen that, can you reproduce the problem and send your logs? I've no idea why that would happen.

2 hours ago, Sudragon said:

I'm having a small problem with this mod, and it's interaction with MechJeb. If i open the MJ planetary data tab to check my location, the speed indicator on the navball goes NaN. 

What is the proper name of the window you're calling the "planetary data tab"?

Questions.

Where's the best place to assemble airships? They're large, and I am having difficulties assembling even a small one in either the VAB or SPH. Are there mods that make these spaces larger to accommodate these parts?

Whats the best way to attach wheels to the Bison parts? The Buffalo chassis parts don't really work, as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Sudragon said:

Questions.

Where's the best place to assemble airships? They're large, and I am having difficulties assembling even a small one in either the VAB or SPH. Are there mods that make these spaces larger to accommodate these parts?

Whats the best way to attach wheels to the Bison parts? The Buffalo chassis parts don't really work, as far as I can tell.

There is a mod called Hanger Extender that can help with this.

2 hours ago, Sudragon said:

Where's the best place to assemble airships? They're large, and I am having difficulties assembling even a small one in either the VAB or SPH.

Just how big an airship are you building?  Unless you're trying to carry 300 kerbals, I have a hard time seeing one that won't fit in the SPH.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.