Is 1.2 a stable major release?

Terwin

17 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Yup ... has to be what squad did as it could never have anything to do with mods, even if they haven't been updated to 1.2 (mods should just work regardless if they've been updated and recompiled)

Apparently it also happens on stock KSP and the devs have found a solution to it. So yeah. As I said - not caused by mods.

So LMAO right back at you.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

11 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

LMAO ... 'installing mods broke my game' 

Yup ... has to be what squad did as it could never have anything to do with mods, even if they haven't been updated to 1.2 (mods should just work regardless if they've been updated and recompiled)

- I hope everyone can see the sarcasm dripping from what I said

Like it or not, but there are people who play this game because it can be modified. I don't play games without mod support, and so long as a mod creator follows the "rules" of the mods it should work fine. If there is a limit on the number of parts that can be displayed in an UI I consider that a bug; and it should be directly finished.

4 hours ago, paul23 said:

Like it or not, but there are people who play this game because it can be modified. I don't play games without mod support, and so long as a mod creator follows the "rules" of the mods it should work fine. If there is a limit on the number of parts that can be displayed in an UI I consider that a bug; and it should be directly finished.

So your quoting my comment and commenting on it for what purpose?

If you read my comment you can clearly see that it was made as a sarcastic retort to people who have been complaining that mods broke their game and they blame Squad for it

Blaming Squad for everything nowadays is the norm around here ... how bout people get their heads outta their [redacted] and stop blaming others for their problems ... spoon fed society, I tell ya

'it should work ... cause I say it should work ... and if it doesn't grab your pitchfork and blame the person on your left ... then poke em'

talk about privileged ........

23 hours ago, CaptainKorhonen said:

Apparently it also happens on stock KSP and the devs have found a solution to it. So yeah. As I said - not caused by mods.

So LMAO right back at you.

On 16.10.2016. at 5:46 PM, RoverDude said:

We'll agree to disagree, but the general convention when someone says 'stock bug' is that it appears in the game out of the box.

That is not stock KSP :)

On 26/10/2016 at 1:06 AM, kBob said:

Since there don't seem to be a lot of people with this problem:  Have you downloaded a fresh copy of KSP and, either deleting, or moving, your current KSP (or installing the fresh copy elsewhere and running from there to test) just to be sure something didn't go wrong with the upgrade process (or possibly something old hanging around causing problems).  Might be worth a try if not.

With each new version I always remove (delete) the old game folder and then redownload the latest version. 1.2 is bad, plain and simple. The issue is the same as the old out of memory issue but that would usually hit during transitions, i.e launching or recovering vessels switching between vessels the issue with 1.2 is the game just closes to desktop without notice at ANY time, sometimes with a crashdump sometimes without, their is no repeatable cause. The x64 version is more stable in that issues only seem to occur during transitions (same as previous over modded versions) however I have only two mods, Kerbel Alarm and Mechjeb.

Decided to do some investigation the results show that this game has a significant memory leak somewhere. I decided to monitor memory usage in the background while playing the game, I reloaded a return from the Mun mission and kept an eye on the memory usage from the 32bit version by the time I got back to Kerbel (a ten minute flight) my memory usage for the game was at 2.7Gb but what worried me and confirmed this game version has a very bad memory leak was what happened when I landed the craft. I opted to leave the craft doing nothing alt tabbed out to take one last look at memory usage to find it at 2.8Gb but what worried me more was as I watched memory usage it was going up in front of my eyes by around 0.05gb every few seconds and it continued to rise for the three or so minutes I watched it.

I recovered the vessel, checked memory usage (down to 2.6Gb) and decided to reload a different craft and leave it sitting on the launch pad. This time round very little change in memory usage, it went up over time but by a tiny tiny amount I then launched the craft and got it staged and in to space with no real changes in memory usage.

So it seems that 1,2 has a memory leak that only comes in to effect under specific conditions but when it hits it's bad.

Edited by Cheesywotsit

10 hours ago, Cheesywotsit said:

Decided to do some investigation the results show that this game has a significant memory leak somewhere.

So it seems that 1,2 has a memory leak that only comes in to effect under specific conditions but when it hits it's bad.

Since my post I had an interesting experience.  I started a new career and was returning to surface in a very simple basic rocket after a few minutes of play.  I alt-tabbed out to do some other stuff, got distracted and didn't come back to KSP for six hours.  It had crashed.  This never happened to me before and I suspect a (new) rather bad memory leak has been introduced.  The answer until it gets fixed of course is periodically exiting and restarting.  Annoying yes, but KSP is hardly the first program to have suffered from this problem (memory leaks can be darn hard to pinpoint, and alas programs written in 'C' based languages are all the easier to make memory leaks in due to the way pointers can be "abused" and yes it's a two sided coin they can be more powerful and flexible than more restrictive languages).  Hopefully 1.2.1 will address this problem.

Edited by kBob

So far no problems, I didn't notice that memory leak issue when I left it running for about an hour while I was off on an errand. Also I am quite sure I played more than an hour doing landings and such in 1.2 so I am not being effected by the memory leak. I am running on the 32 bit ksp, are you playing the 64 bit ksp? That might be the problem

15 hours ago, Cheesywotsit said:

It must be specific conditions because I've played for many hours without restarting the game, with plenty of hopping around and return to VAB/Launch.

And also left it in the background for hours and not seen the slightest hint of memory leaks.

KSP_x64.exe stays around 2.4-2.6G of dedicated memory.

Edited by Curveball Anders
speling

I played a lot this weekend and had several crashes.  On the order of 6-7 between Saturday (~5hrs) and Sunday (~3hrs)  That said I lost very little progress in the crashes.  Most of the crashes happened when recovering vehicles at the end of mission.  The most I lost was back to a quicksave when it crashed in the middle of a ground EVA report mission on Minmus.

Running 100% stock no mods.

Edited by TerminalV

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I am done with this game, this is by far and away one of the buggiest releases yet. After having spent a week or more playing BF1 and Dishonored 2 I decided to come back to play KSP again and continue with my Career save. I sped forward a few days till KSP Alarm told me to look at my retunr from IKE craft, Clicked the link to be told that a craft with that name no longer existed. Okay I thought maybe I did something with that ship prior to me going off to play the other games and forgot about it. Looked through my ship list and Kerbel list to find, no Kerbel assigned but 3 Kerbels now listed as KIA. I know for a fact I haven't lost ANY Kerbels. I tracked this down to maybe a bug with a contract to rescue one of the KIA ending before the craft returned and the game deleting the entire craft (really annoying if not also highly annoying.) Fast forward to my next KSP Alarm event, a departing ship for Dres, load the ship to find that it never loads, locks the computer with half the ship missing, a whole load of weird image effects and then crashes to desktop. Againa this ship worked perfectly before my little break.

Decided to try loading the saved ship in the VAB to now find that ALL my saved ships from this Career have gone, everything, ever single one of them is missing, they are on my HD, under the save game folder but the game will simply not display them.

This game is now a total and utter mess, I've gotten 1,000 hours out of it so I am happy I got more than my monies worth but I am done with trying to work round these flaws and faults. When it was small simple stuff it was fine but deleting and destroying entire sections of a career and rendering everything I had done worthless and with no explainable or good reason... yeah not worth the hassle any more.

I have to admit, the only major bug I've ever come across since 1.0.5 (other than wheels of course) has been the UI flicker bug in 1.2. This was quickly fixed in 1.2.1. So in my opinion, yes, KSP 1.2 is a stable release and 1.2.1 is a good quality bug fix. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.