What inspires you to play KSP?

septemberWaves

What inspire me is the feeling of "I'm doing something that very few get to do" and the absolute beauty of space. Look at this picture and tell me that this isn't (almost) eye-wateringly beautiful.

Earthrise.jpg

Mars-3.jpg

This sense of achievement and beauty is what inspires me.

When I turn on this game, to me, it's more than a game. My dream, for over 5 years now, has been to touch the stars, and for half of that time, KSP has been there to help cultivate my dream. It's the stuff that you can do in this amazing piece of work that inspires me.

I can live my dream, and even if it never happens, this is by far the closest I can get, and I get closer every day with KSP.

And if it does come true, I'll have lived part of my dream decades before it happens.

At the very beginning, I got inspired to play KSP by the trailer they released, I think it was for version .22, it had a purple alien squid in it.  It looked like it would be quite amusing to play, and while the trailer promised me that I could build my own rockets I didn't quite believe the hype.  But I had the $22 to spare and gave it a shot.

Since that moment, the roles have reversed.  KSP has inspired me to rekindle an interest in physics and to a lesser degree mathematics.  Although rarely contributing, a daily lurk in the science forums is a must, and I have become a more informed and dare I say better person for it.

So, now I am inspired to play KSP because I owe it to the game, and I owe it to myself.  And there's explosions!

I have a 6 year old that has a remarkable understanding of Potential and Kinetic Energy, Forces, Momentum, and the realities of space travel from watching his father go throughout the Kerbol system on rockets he's launched just using 1.25 and 2.5 m parts. 

However, he is quite insistent I build an underwater city off the coast of the space center...  still working the engineering on that one.

Pretty much any sci-fi that involves space travel and preferably massive capital ship battles.  Given that 90% of what i do in this game is build and design warships that fire stock weapons at each other and usually end up as debri clouds after eating enemy fire, kinda fitting if i do say so myself.

Aside from that, whenever im in the mood to play a game that actually lets you build whatever sort of space or land vessels you want to i play KSP.  Only reason id play anything else is when im in the mood for RTS games (KSP lets you build tanks and mech suits and such, doesnt really work as a RTS though), or when i want to do multiplayer combat.  The day KSP releases actual good multiplayer or we get a good MP mod (we had KMP and stillk have DMP but those are too buggy to be considered functional MP mods) is the day that im pretty much going to drop 90% of my multiplayer combat games and start playing KSP instead...

On 02/11/2016 at 10:41 PM, Cdw2468 said:

Sorry for the above post - this forum doesn't play well with Chrome Tablet browser

One other thing I love about KSP is that, even after over a year of gaming there is still new things to explore and do.  I was always a dedicated Science Mode player until recently.  I had tried Career Mode a couple of times, but found it a bit of a slog.  Having gained experience and having been inspired by Marcus House and his tutorials aimed at getting through the early stages of career, a whole new set of challenges have opened up.  Love it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.