Kerbal Botany Expansion

Clockwork

Hi, I'm Clockwork, and I'm starting a mod on plant science based experiments. There are however a few problems with my endeavor to create a good mod, one of them being my inability to model and another being my complete lack of understanding of how to export a MU file from Unity.

If you want to help me create some good models (I'm looking at all those blender magicians out there) you can just upload them to the github repository I created for this mod.

If you understand how to make a MU file, PLEASE let me know! That is the only thing that I'm missing to make this mod a reality.

Who doesn't want to grow potatoes on Dunna? Or Raddishes, (different from Radishes) in orbit of Kerbol? We've all wanted to get Jeb Stuck on Dunna Right? Then when you did it and realized that you were missing potatoes, all the fun was gone, right? Lets make this a reality, KSP community!

I'm looking for recruits for the ClockworkModdingTeam (name subject to change) so if you want to be part of a modding group, this may be an option for you. You basically just need a GitHub account and Unity, and if you want to be a modeler, just whatever modeling software you prefer. There may be slight time difference on updates with this mod because I am in Korea, but since were all internet savvy here (or at least I hope we are ) it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

This concludes my initial post on the development of the Kerbal Botany Expansion.

Sorry almost forgot: Repository In GitHub

Note: Modding is what a normal person does, and Moding is when you can't spell

Edited by Clockwork

Ooh, another newbie who wants to mod! Seriously was starting to think I was the only one!

Idea for operation: growing plants happens in two stages. Each plant is three or more resources - seeds, spurious, and final product (plus fruits or stuff)

Stage one - sprouting, represents time from planting to photosynthesis begins.Takes away certain amount of seed, wait a while, then return a certain amount of sprouts for the same plant. Number of sprouts returned might depend on tech level and plant used. Also might return science on orbital farming.

Stage two - growth using photosynthesis.  Simple resource conversion to take sprouts and produce final products. More products than sprouts consumed, fractional sprout or product resources can represent half grown plants. Maybe integrate with community resource pack or life support mods to make it consume equal amount of carbon (take up carbon dioxide / release oxygen). The product can be used for botany science or cooked and converted into other mods food. 

You can add any number of plants, just configure germination difficulty, mass gain during growth, products, and nutrition value. Plants also could produce oxygen and crew morale with kerbalism.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 6:32 AM, greenTurtle1134 said:

Ooh, another newbie who wants to mod! Seriously was starting to think I was the only one!

Idea for operation: growing plants happens in two stages. Each plant is three or more resources - seeds, spurious, and final product (plus fruits or stuff)

Stage one - sprouting, represents time from planting to photosynthesis begins.Takes away certain amount of seed, wait a while, then return a certain amount of sprouts for the same plant. Number of sprouts returned might depend on tech level and plant used. Also might return science on orbital farming.

Stage two - growth using photosynthesis.  Simple resource conversion to take sprouts and produce final products. More products than sprouts consumed, fractional sprout or product resources can represent half grown plants. Maybe integrate with community resource pack or life support mods to make it consume equal amount of carbon (take up carbon dioxide / release oxygen). The product can be used for botany science or cooked and converted into other mods food. 

You can add any number of plants, just configure germination difficulty, mass gain during growth, products, and nutrition value. Plants also could produce oxygen and crew morale with kerbalism.

I'll do as much of this as I can, but I can't do much by myself. If you have any experience, I would love help. Sorry about the lack of updates, I haven't had much time as I am a high school student, but I have a break coming up so some progress may be made soon. Thanks for the enthusiasm, I really appreciate it!

Okay, an update,

I defined a bunch of resources and uploaded the CRP so, I have a start! Yay, one step at a time, right. I'm too scared to find out how the science files are written, trust me, its a bit intimidating,

It says this right at the beginning:

// WARNING! SPOILERS!

// This file contains spoilers. If you don't want to have your surprises ruined, you should stop reading now.

then this:

// Seriously, it's a lot more fun to find this stuff out in the game.

// Last chance to turn back.

So I almost had the courage to spoil the experiments that I haven't done yet, but... I couldn't. So, sorry, anyone want to risk it for me?

I figure the next step is making a tank to hold some of this stuff, then a science module with a "Generic Kerbal Plant" or a GeKeP, which is what I'll call it to keep things interesting.

I'll make a module that uses fertilizer, carbon dioxide and water to generate science

(I just realized I've spelled fertilizer wrong in every file I just created)

this concludes my update

Edited by Clockwork

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
	id = //must be a single word
	title = //the ingame title of the experiment
	baseValue = //the base amount of science to be multiplied by situation
	scienceCap = //the most science you can get by repeating this experiment, to be multiplied by situation
	dataScale = //mIts of data for transmission or sciencelabs

requireAtmosphere = //True or False
	situationMask = //Really complicated, see below
	biomeMask = //Also complicated

RESULTS
	{
		//Follows the pattern [BodyName][Situation][Biome]
		default =

KerbinSrfLanded =
		KerbinFlyingLow =
		KerbinFlyingHigh =
		KerbinInSpaceLow =
		KerbinInSpace =
	}
}

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation#Science_Definitions_Configuration_Files

• 4 months later...

Sorry Guys,

I've been really busy with school and haven't had time to actually sit down and work on this mod, but I'm hoping that after finals that I am able to get a few hours to sit and continuously work on the mod. I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still planning on working.

If anyone wants to take over until may and get the development underway publicly, I would greatly appreciate that and am sure that others who are looking forward to a plant science mod would appreciate it too.

Thanks for your patience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.