The (Now Infamous) Kerbal Spaceport Disscussion Thread

TopHeavy11

This is a discussion about...the Kerbal Spaceport (No link for a reason.) To spare anybody this pain of having to deal with it, I'll explain WHY it's infamous.

WHAT IS DOES:

If you go there, you will be redirected to a site called joytrip-something-or-other (not actual name,) and you will go to a page that says your computer has a virus while blaring an obnoxious and scary horn. You won't be able to close that tab or the browser you opened it in during this. You WILL have to hard-boot your comp. Let's hope you have a good anti-virus software, because an unknown program will attempt to install itself on start-up.

HOW TO REUSE THAT BROWSER:

Just turn off the internet and open the browser. It won't connect and you can close it down. Problem solved. Does this mean you should do it. Absolutely...NOT! It's still a pain up the butt to deal with. My advice: DON'T EVEN TRY!!!!!! I CANNOT stress this enough!!

Edited by TopHeavy11

4 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I'm suprised SQUAD let go of the domain, to be honest. Let this be a warning to anyone closing a popular website.

The warning is to always assume that a malicious hacker will take it over and use it for his own evil purposes.

12 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Why can't there be any good viruses?

Well over the years there have been a few cases of things along these lines:  http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how-vigilante-hackers-could-stop-the-internet-of-things-botnet

But regardless of any altruistic intention, the fact is you're still modifying other peoples equipment without their knowledge and/or permission, which at best puts these sorts of things into a massive grey-area.  As the saying goes; no good deed goes unpunished.

The real takeaway of this thread is the need for using browser add-ons to restrict what websites are able to execute on your machine.

(And please stop referring to things like serving malicious ads as hacking - it's a massive disservice to people like Woz, Dennis Richie, etc. who together have hacked modern computing into being.)

20 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

This is a discussion about...the Kerbal Spaceport (No link for a reason.) To spare anybody this pain of having to deal with it, I'll explain WHY it's infamous.

WHAT IS DOES:

If you go there, you will be redirected to a site called joytrip-something-or-other (not actual name,) and you will go to a page that says your computer has a virus while blaring an obnoxious and scary horn. You won't be able to close that tab or the browser you opened it in during this. You WILL have to hard-boot your comp. Let's hope you have a good anti-virus software, because an unknown program will attempt to install itself on start-up.

HOW TO REUSE THAT BROWSER:

Just turn off the internet and open the browser. It won't connect and you can close it down. Problem solved. Does this mean you should do it. Absolutely...NOT! It's still a pain up the butt to deal with. My advice: DON'T EVEN TRY!!!!!! I CANNOT stress this enough!!

I don't like earrape "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" pages, and if it cannot be turned off then it's the worst thing ever.

Like, first you get a screaming page saying you have a virus (and it cannot be removed by any means) and then you get an actual virus on startup.

Anyways, thanks for the info, will keep out of Kerbal Spaceport.

33 minutes ago, matik2002 said:

I don't like earrape "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" pages, and if it cannot be turned off then it's the worst thing ever.

Like, first you get a screaming page saying you have a virus (and it cannot be removed by any means) and then you get an actual virus on startup.

Anyways, thanks for the info, will keep out of Kerbal Spaceport.

Glad I could prevent another "casualty".

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

It makes me wonder why Squad could not create an admin-controlled post or thread that lists websites that claim to be related to Kerbal Space Program but actually have malicious intents OR violate the terms of use for KSP.

I see where you're coming from with this but it would have unintended consequences. It would, in effect, promote those sites by putting their names in a place highly visible to KSP players, at least some of whom would be sure to try them. No such thing as bad press and all that.

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I see where you're coming from with this but it would have unintended consequences. It would, in effect, promote those sites by putting their names in a place highly visible to KSP players, at least some of whom would be sure to try them. No such thing as bad press and all that.

Perhaps @SQUAD could buy it back and clear it of malicious stuff, and just keep it. Maybe this thread could be moved to the "most popular Forum/Sub-forum every day so that people are more likely to heed this warning.

Edited by TopHeavy11

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Depends on the way it was worded. After all, if there was a disclaimer that the sites are NOT maintained by Squad, are not licensed or operated by Squad, and may contain viruses, then maybe that would dissuade the user from visiting the sites.

Other warnings could include that any mods downloaded from them might cause the game to become unstable, etc.

Just a thought.

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Are you aware of how domain squatting works? There is basically zero chance of getting it back at any reasonable cost now. 

Well, at least make a public warning on the site and the Forums so that players will know to steer clear. If some guy (like me) decides to see it, that on him, not us.

1 minute ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Well, at least make a public warning on the site and the Forums so that players will know to steer clear. If some guy (like me) decides to see it, that on him, not us.

See above about this sort of thing effectively promoting the site (which this thread is doing too, I might add). 

There is also the problem of the list being incomplete. Person finds some site, sees it isn't on the official "don't go there" list, concludes it must be legit. The whitelist of officially endorsed sites can be found at the top of every forum page, anything outside of there and you are on your own.

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

See above about this sort of thing effectively promoting the site (which this thread is doing too, I might add). 

There is also the problem of the list being incomplete. Person finds some site, sees it isn't on the official "don't go there" list, concludes it must be legit. The whitelist of officially endorsed sites can be found at the top of every forum page, anything outside of there and you are on your own.

Huh. Good point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

For the sake of documenting this for others, I took a peek with my *nix box: a quick copyright flash and a landing page, all visible in the source.  Relies on Javascript (disabled): some is Google analytics and adsense (so they might be cashing in on ) but another is unknown; this could be the payload (I don't feel like pulling down the source files and testing them).  The web server could also have a redirect based on OS before it even arrives here so Windows users could suffer more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.