Manual??

kentcol

This is no manual at this time since the game is in Alpha stage. Too many things can change and change so fast that it would create an insane amount of work keeping it up to date.

Browse the forums, there are many videos and tutorials on using KSP to do various things.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Okay, I give up, where do I find the manual??

This is no manual at this time since the game is in Alpha stage. Too many things can change and change so fast that it would create an insane amount of work keeping it up to date.

Browse the forums, there are many videos and tutorials on using KSP to do various things.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

That sinking feeling you get when the resident Community Manager tells you there is no manual...

D:

As someone who never read the game manual until about after the fifth day of play at the minimum, I say, \'We don\'t need a stinkin\' manual!\'

Until Blizzard came along and threw in stories of lore in their manuals. Sneaky bastards.

fifth day of play at the minimum
No gamer resorts to the manual except as an absolute last resort when you\'re completely stuck. They\'re mostly useless anyway. You want to know 'How do I get the merchant to sell me things?' but the manual is just full of stuff like, 'To save the game, click on the save game button.'

Besides, what kind of manual could this game have at this point?

Chapter 1: Space travel - subject to revision

Chapter 2: EVA - not finalized

Chapter 3: Moon colonization - to be determined

Chapter 4: Interplanetary travel - not implemented yet

Etc.

No gamer resorts to the manual except as an absolute last resort when you\'re completely stuck. They\'re mostly useless anyway. You want to know 'How do I get the merchant to sell me things?' but the manual is just full of stuff like, 'To save the game, click on the save game button.'

Besides, what kind of manual could this game have at this point?

Chapter 1: Space travel - subject to revision

Chapter 2: EVA - not finalized

Chapter 3: Moon colonization - to be determined

Chapter 4: Interplanetary travel - not implemented yet

Etc.

1: How to get in orbit.

Do you know how many people ask that!?

:-[

I\'ve been asking myself that for two days during the last week. Yesterday I landed on Mun with Jeb on board and returned safely to Kerbin. The whole point in a starting space program that there IS NO manual. =P

Well, there\'s an awful lot of ways. My personal favourite is the rocket jump, which is when you make a huge stack of fuel tanks explode below a command module that\'s placed in exactly the right position to put it in orbit. Well, in theory. I haven\'t ever actually found the correct position. But it MUST exist!

Perhaps we should start to develop an FAQ to cover basic things like default controls, the principles of getting into orbit, basic orbital mechanics, transfers, landings and the like?

I second this idea, or at the very least the KSP Wiki needs a lot of updating. For example, the tutorial of landing on the Mun with stock parts basically says 'You should get it eventually'. I know I\'ve been frustrated trying to find a hotkey and eventually ended up smashing every key on my keyboard trying to find it. My first EVA I started to panic when my Kerbal was slowly drifting away from the ship and I couldn\'t figure out how to thrust up/down and the wiki page of keyboard hotkeys hadn\'t been updated to .16 yet.

I\'ve been asking myself that for two days during the last week. Yesterday I landed on Mun with Jeb on board and returned safely to Kerbin. The whole point in a starting space program that there IS NO manual. =P

Indeed. The early KSP was especially educational. No map, no orbital path projection, you had just your speed and heading and good luck with that. I actually had to look up equations for orbital speeds and put them into WolframAlpha to get anywhere. That\'s what I call a hardcore game. Now it\'s been made easy for them dirty casuals. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.