Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.2 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

Directly from area 51. Four times the size of a normal P38, I introduce my DXL P38

Wet mass: 286 tons

Dry mass: 98 tons

Had some fun trying to set some new records for myself.

Highest altitude ever using only Goliaths. (12,100 meters) Typically I can't get over 8,000.

Also, the widest winged craft I've made in stock KSP.

First double (triple?) fuselage plane.

I will try to circumnavigate again using this craft and see if it can beat some more personal records.

CxAzUpM.jpg

Edited by macktruck6666

https://imgur.com/a/mDvW86m

New record for me. Two times around. I aborted the third attempt after I ran the numbers. I aborted first landing because I was coming in to steep.

I hate landing at night and I was definitely coming in to steep. If i pull up to quickly i could break the wings. The kerbal's faces tell you everything.

XLxGhef.jpg

Next attempt is going to be a bigger amphibious plane.

Edited by macktruck6666

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this challenge is still being updated... but here is my entry. 

I circumnavigated Kerbin with an atomic helicopter. Weighing less than 500 kg. It took me quite some time to complete the thing (7 hours or so.. but it was nice! I also made a small video of the mission. 

Yup, this challenge is still active!  And your entry is certainly interesting--that looks like a lot of work!  However, it also violates a number of rules, and so it unfortunately can't be included in the leaderboard.  The rules disallow command seats and require LF+Air propulsion only, and your craft must stay intact for the duration of the mission ( you lost the command seat on your final landing).

• 3 months later...

By golly, you're right--the original image is no longer available.  The challenge is still active, although I'll probably need to start a new leaderboard, since aero and heating has been tweaked several times since the challenge started.  I've been messing around in 1.10, and I think I might be able to beat the record of 14x around...

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the original badges? :)

Done! I used my 2 Whiplash science plane. No changes for this challenge. I did 1 lap around but I had enough fuel for twice. It just takes so long! I'm flying manually - none of this autopilot stuff. The SAS won't even hold it straight at cruise altitude so I'm adjusting a lot. My joystick is pretty mechanically sloppy and no calibration in KSP is really sub-standard for any flight game. I didn't remember to try the fine adjust mode. Anyway...

I put all the pics here:  https://imgur.com/a/QcMT7NV

Time: 55:59. The comet made for some pretty pics. I'm proud of my landing.

It looks like others used map view for their screenshot of the far side but I just turned on long/ lat in KER: top left. 

So I've been looking at old posts and I just have a suggestion: add some more rules to the first class to make it more of a "limited" class. So there'd be limited (fastest 1 lap), unlimited (fastest 1 lap) and endurance classes. There's a lot of things I just personally wouldn't do:

No fairings - too much abuse, like air intakes and cockpits inside them. Long history of aerodynamic exploits. 

No parachutes. Everything must be 100% reusable without maintenance and resetable in flight.

No moving parts contacting anything when they move. I saw some had elevons inside each other. Includes airbrakes and landing gear doors.

Strictly nothing on the back of the engine.

Air intakes must be on the front fully exposed to the air stream.

Offset parts must still touch their parent part, not just any part on the craft. 

The cockpit window must have a clear forward view (like a real airplane)

Must take off and land upright on landing gear on the runway. Driving on the grass is not allowed. Tipping inverted on landing is a DQ even if nothing breaks. Dragging a wing tip or a tail strike while moving is OK if it doesn't break. Must be on wheels only when stopped. 

No autostruts. Real visible struts are OK.

Very limited allowance for part clipping - hard to quantify.

Just my personal standard. Take it or leave it. 

I appreciate the input, Krazy1.  I think many of the issues you raise fall under the "spirit of the challenge" rule, but some clarifications are in order.

With those clarifications, and because it's been a long time, and parts and physics have been tweaked, I'm starting a fresh iteration of this challenge, here:

I've entered you as the first contestant. Congrats, you've got the fastest time! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.