The Joolian Colonizer Initiative: Sending 500 Kerbals to Jool

JacobJHC

Greetings observer,

This is my submission log of my attempt at the Jool 500 Challenge. It will be a series of videos as it will take many, many vessels. I plan to be clever and reuse/reassign many vessels and possible launch vehicles. I will use links for the videos so this thread doesn't get too long for a first post. I am only using information mods that do not add parts to the vessels.

Current Phase: Phase 2 --- Episode 2 is out

Mods I going to be Using

- Kerbal Engineer Redux: for delta-v readouts and extended mission planning.

- Texture Replacer: Nice EVA-suits 

- The Trajectories Mod: Aerobraking predictions and shows predicted landing sites on atmospheric world depending on decent profile.

- Time Control: For when time warp is too slow.

Phase 1: Initial Planning 

- Reusable launch vehicle testing/development 

• Bravo Launch System: A 100% reusable launch system for 18 ton payloads, might not be used if recovery costs are low and disposable launch systems are cheaper. NOTE: I have decided that most of my launch vehicles will be recoverable but will be easier to use than the Bravo so it might not get any use in the effort.
  • Unnamed 35 Ton Lifer: A 100% recoverable launch system for roughly 35 tons. It can take it's payload all the way to orbit, detach and land vertically back at the KSC. Demonstrated in this video.

- Lander/Colony Building Development

• Tylo Interplanetary Transport System (Tylo ITS): The birds is a 34 Kerbal colony lander capable of landing on Tylo. It can also be docked to an extra fuel tank and be used to push cargo around in orbit. The Tylo ITS is powered by a single "Vector" engine due to it's high TWR. NOTE: I have designed "Bubble" colony buildings that allow for more living space per Kerbal that will be used to replace the Tylo ITS colony system.

- Interplanetary Tug Development

• Tiny transport booster: Not yet developed I plan on having a basic tug with 2 or 3 1.25 meter liquid fuel tanks with a "Nerv" engine that can refuel itself. It will be used for tiny payloads such as probes and science recovery. NOTE: I have decided against developing this booster as it would be really expensive and wouldn't be able to transport lots of cargo and be more difficult than simply sending all the cargo in a few vessels.
  • Main colonist tug: Not yet developed but I plan on building it out of launch stages that are left in orbit, possibly will be constructed in Minmus orbit.  NOTE: I have come to the conclusion that the ISP that the launch stages contribute won't be very helpful. I am probably going to be using basic Nerva tugs to transport cargo and crew to Jool.

Phase 2: Execution of the Colonization Effort

Now that the colonization effort, named the Joolian Colonizer Initiative is underway, I shall post my video series here in this thread so that it is easy to find my submissions.

Episode 1: Rescuing Colonists: This episode sees the launch of an inter-joolian shuttle, said shuttle goes to Duna to collect stranded Kerbals who will eventually become colonists. 

Episode 2: Asteroids and Relays: This episode sees the capturing of a D-class asteroid into Kerbin orbit to complete a contract to send an asteroid to Jool. The Joolian relay network is also launched and docked onto the asteroid. RIP Bill. :(

Episode 3: The Joolian Relay Network: This episode is not out yet. Heck, it hasn't even been filmed yet so I am not sure why I am already posting it on here.

Edited by JacobJHC

• 3 months later...

Ok I have added episode 1 after my brief period of not updating the thread. I now have a different approach to how I will go about the effort and think it is for the better. Tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r53sL6oQLs

Edited by JacobJHC

@JacobJHC I like your video and what you're trying to accomplish. I've done my share of grinding rescue missions, sat placements, but friggin 500?

I mean, I did a ship that did something similar to what you want and has about 500 capacity (see below)

Spoiler

but I definitely ain't gonna rescue 500 mofos. I imagine it takes more than an hour just to unload them from the ship (for a group photo or something)! Imagine wanting to switch back to the ship with [, ] having 500 kerbals around. My god, dude! 

32 minutes ago, George van Doorn said:

@JacobJHC I like your video and what you're trying to accomplish. I've done my share of grinding rescue missions, sat placements, but friggin 500?

I mean, I did a ship that did something similar to what you want and has about 500 capacity (see below)

Hide contents

but I definitely ain't gonna rescue 500 mofos. I imagine it takes more than an hour just to unload them from the ship (for a group photo or something)! Imagine wanting to switch back to the ship with [, ] having 500 kerbals around. My god, dude! 

I probably won't do it 500 times lol. I plan to start hiring but once it gets to where they are too expensive I might have to rescue the remaining amount I need. I am glad you like it so far.

@JacobJHC

I`ve put 50 Kerbals to Duna actually and it took me 14`000`000 million funds. Some of them have landed on Duna and they have some nice vessels to play with. Look here

If you can put 500 Kerbals to Jool... I will call you "Lord JacobJHC of Jool":D

Good luck...:wink: And you`re really nuts:D

Edited by Mikki
sorry, name is now correct8D

6 hours ago, xendelaar said:

Omg 500 kerbals sounds like a serious case of space madness hehe. Very cool challange and I really liked the video. 

God speed good sir

Thanks! Episode 2 should be up in a few days... *Using asteroids as fuel tanks intensifies* 

Just now, xendelaar said:

*heavy breathing*

Yep, all I need to do is find music for it and make a thumbnail, it will probably be up on youtube later today.

*Framerate drop intensifies with larger rocket*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.