What's going on with fuel crossfeed in 1.2?

I'm about to send up my first refuelable vessel in 1.2. I know the fuel transfer rules have been changed (I got bit by that at one point trying to transfer between tanks), but I wasn't sure exactly how. I experimented with the fuel overlay and found things marked in green that I didn't think should be. Okay, I figured, maybe the overlay doesn't mean what I think it means. So I built something I was pretty sure wouldn't fly but that looked OK in the overlay, and rolled it out on the launchpad. And got this:

screenshot3.png

I....am pretty sure that didn't work before, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to now. It's certainly ridiculous.

Is this a bug? Or intended behavior?

Yep that's pretty much how fuel flow works now. AFAIK the only other things other than decouplers that block fuel flow are maybe struts/trusses... Maybe.

I am not sure if it is intended or not, but I would think it would have been caught in experimentals if it wasn't (it's kind of hard to miss).

2 hours ago, Error_Sophius said:

I....am pretty sure that didn't work before

Pretty sure that's exactly how it worked. I don't recall anything but coupling parts blocking flow before, either. All that I've really seen new from a construction perspective is automatic crossfeed to radial parts.

The only things that intentionally blocked flow before (in 1.1) were heatshields, wings, and I-beams. But wings now have surface-flow crossfeed. There were some parts (such as the SciJr) that blocked flow in 1.1, but that was a bug.

Of course radial decouplers now can block flow if you set it in the settings.

6 minutes ago, Error_Sophius said:

Weird. I could have sworn fuel tank stacks used to have to be placed directly above the engine. Is that something that changed further in the past, or am I just off my rocker?

Would the fact that you're using a Dawn engine and Xenon gas make the difference in your example?

3 hours ago, Error_Sophius said:

Weird. I could have sworn fuel tank stacks used to have to be placed directly above the engine. Is that something that changed further in the past, or am I just off my rocker?

Off your rocker. Fuel tanks in the same stack have fed the engine for years. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.