[1.4] Wheels Collection (formerly rollkage & better wheels)

zitronen

This is a up-to-date collection of wheels that I have worked on previously, namely for the Rollkage and Better Wheels mods (credits: @electronicfox and @angusmcbeth) which are now more or less abandoned. The reason for reviving these is simply because I wanted to use them in my game, and there are very few wheel mods for 1.2. I would have done this earlier if it wasn't so annoying to update wheels from pre 1.1 to the new system, since there is hardly any documentation on how to do it. On the other hand, the new wheel physics system is much better and allows easy tuning so I no longer need to tediously tune the buggy phyx suspension and tire model in unity. I will update this with additional wheels as I convert them.

Direct Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/195-I0gaTJtNfmp8IuCGuv7yv_GiO5AC3/view?usp=sharing

Spacedock: http://spacedock.info/mod/1027/Wheels Collection (formerly rollkage %26 better wheels)

GitHub: https://github.com/zitron-git/WheelsCollection

Also available on CKAN

Kerchelin Small Rover Wheel: 0.5m wheel for light rovers

liBcy1Y.jpg

RollKage Kerchelin Extreme: 1.0 m off-road wheel for 2-5t light vehicles

NMQPZpn.jpg

RollKage Kerchelin Sport: 1.0 m off-road wheel for 5-10t medium sized vehicles

eMYK1FF.jpg

RollKage Kerchelin Jumbo: 2.0m wheel for 10-50t heavy vehicles

KJ.jpg

Edited by zitronen

Are you sure you got the wheels the right way up?

They don't work if they are upside-down or side ways. It's not always easy to tell which way is up, but you can kind of tell by looking at the suspension.

Post a picture or your craft file if you still have problems.

Edited by zitronen

Do you use your own plugin for wheel physics? I am simply using the stock wheel module, which since 1.1 is actually very good. It allows tuning of spring and damper rates in the VAB/SPH, automatically adjusts spring preload for the weight of the vehicle, it even does Ackermann steering. Since you can change wheel friction to basically anything you want in game, you can have lots of slip or no slip at all. You might also need to increase the braking torque in the cfg file.

Edited by zitronen

It is upside down, the red shock should be up as shown in the screenshot in the first post. These wheels are in the fully compressed position editor, because that's how wheels worked back then.

It take 2 seconds to rotate them and check for yourself.

5 hours ago, zitronen said:

Do you use your own plugin for wheel physics? I am simply using the stock wheel module, which since 1.1 is actually very good. It allows tuning of spring and damper rates in the VAB/SPH, automatically adjusts spring preload for the weight of the vehicle, it even does Ackermann steering. Since you can change wheel friction to basically anything you want in game, you can have lots of slip or no slip at all. You might also need to increase the braking torque in the cfg file.

I am using stock part modules for my wheels as well. I pretty much copied the stock M1 wheel parameters to my OmniWheel and get the side slipping. I don't know if it's an issue with the 3D mesh or my configuration or both.

I loved RollKage. Are you intending on doing the bodies as well? RK made the coolest looking rovers. I forget when it started to have problems and I removed it.

If I knew anything about fixing an old mod, this is the one I would of chosen.

I know just enough to mess up a .cfg file really well. Sometimes I get lucky though...:D

I think the bodies should still work? There's nothing special about them, probably just need a cfg update. Unfortunately since I wasn't really involved in making them I don't have the original texture and mesh files. If anyone wants to update them and release the fixed version feel free.

I noticed these wheels are a little overpowered, and don't use enough electricity.   This is a minor balance issue.  (Also, the smallest wheel set is overpowered compared to their friction, causing some play issues as well.)

I suspect adjusting the torque and torque curve plot should fix this issue.

As a note, they seem to display in the retracted direction, not the extended direction when in the editor.  This is a VERY minor issue, but is it possible to fix easily?

They are deliberately that way, they are meant to be used to actually drive from one side of a planet to the other without having to wait forever, or having to get out and fix all the time. If you find that they are too fast, you can always change the drive limiter in game. Also they use plenty of power when accelerating (how much depends on how heavy your craft is, if you are going up hill, etc), but not very much when driving at a constant speed. This is realistic as well.

It is possible to fix the way the wheels are displayed in editor, but it would mean having to re-adjust all the models in unity which is a pain, so I don't really want to do it. As I mentioned earlier, they are like this because of how wheels worked pre 1.1.

Edited by zitronen

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.