[1.12.x] Bolt-On Screenshot System (BOSS) Continued

linuxgurugamer

An older mod I'm reviving:

Downloads

Spacedock: http://spacedock.info/mod/1029/Bolt-On Screenshot System (BOSS) Continued
Source code: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/BOSS_Remastered
License:  GPLv3

The new version for KSP 1.4.1 has new dependencies

New Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

This plugin allows you to take screenshots within KSP at a higher resolution than your current screen resolution, using a technique called 'supersampling'.

Press 'z' to take a screenshot and 'p' to hide the UI. These are both rebindable in the config.xml file found next to your screenshots.

Important:  Note that on Windows, GeForce Experience users may want to remap the screenshot key, or remap the keys in the GeForce Experience. That app's default for screenshots is also Alt-F1, so you may wind up posting to your Gallery rather than saving to your KSP/Screenshots folder.

WWcTB1l.png

Reviewed by Kottabos Games

Screenshots can be found in "/GameData/screenshots".

A massive thanks to SyNik4l for adding in many of the much desired features and giving the code a good clean-up.

**Important Information**

Using this plugin can require a lot of RAM. Thus, burst fire mode is restricted to a supersample value of 1 - a.k.a no supersampling at all.

However, you can still use supersampling without restriction when not using burst fire.

I recommend not going higher than 3 or 4; you may be able to pull off 5, but it may crash/freeze your game for a second. If the game freezes, you are not missing any frames. So just let the game sit while it processes.

I have added a limiter on the screenshot key/button if your super sampling value is set higher than 1, mainly due to the KSP ram limit. This is to prevent multiple screenshots being taken too quickly causing you to go over the KSP ram limit and crash your game. The plugin checks for the image to finish processing.

Then allows you to take more screenshots. You can override this limiter by toggling on the 'override limiter' button on the help window.(WARNING: By doing this. You are pretty much limited to 2 screenshots at a time(because it will crash if you take more). Though, you may still crash your game by doing it, everyone's computer is different, and everyone is using different Add-Ons/Plugins alongside this. In the end, it could work better for some than others. Just know by overriding that limiter, you are subject to crashes.

**Burst Fire mode**: As explained above this is purely for automatically taking screenshots over a period of time. So no supersampling is allowed while this is toggled on. Thus you cannot change your supersampling value from one if the burst fire window is open. To use it

1. Toggle burst fire
          2. Set interval(this field does allow point values - just make sure if for example you want .3 - You enter 0.3)
          3. Set time frame to take screenshots - only whole numbers.
          4. Hide UI with 'P' or with toolbar button
          5. Press screenshot hotkey.
          6. Do something cool to take pictures of!

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, DV-13 said:

Binding screenshots to Z makes no sense, since is already has a binding.

Otherwise, neat little mod.

It's not a normal screenshot, it is a super-sized screenshot.

Besides, this was a revival, I didn't do anything other than make it work and have the screenshots go into the standard screenshots directory

Interesting idea to intercept the standard system screenshot, I'll see what I can do.

I've added it as an issue on Github

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but BOSS only seems to work with the UI on, and clicking on the "Take Screenshot" button.

I tried remapping the screenshot shortcut to Numpad-* but that appears to be ignored.

If you need logs, I can see about attaching them tonight.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's not a normal screenshot, it is a super-sized screenshot.

Besides, this was a revival, I didn't do anything other than make it work and have the screenshots go into the standard screenshots directory

Interesting idea to intercept the standard system screenshot, I'll see what I can do.

I've added it as an issue on Github

No, I meant that Z by default sets throttle to 100%.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh, you're right.  The minimal testing I did with this was to make sure it worked by using the Take Screenshot button.

Any suggestions for a default supersize key?

How about ALT+<TakeScreenshot>?

@linuxgurugamer Would you consider adding a note that GeForce Experience users may want to remap keys? That app's default for screenshots is also Alt-F1, so you may wind up posting to your Gallery rather than saving supersampled images to your KSP/Screenshots folder.

Edited by LitaAlto

3 minutes ago, LitaAlto said:

@linuxgurugamer Would you consider adding a note that GeForce Experience users may want to remap keys? That app's default for screenshots is also Alt-F1, so you may wind up posting to your Gallery rather than saving to your KSP/Screenshots folder.

Oh yuck.  I'll have to do something, because right now I hard-coded it to alt.

Interesting, I have that installed and didn't have a problem, but maybe it needs to be activated.

Thanks for letting me know.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh yuck.  I'll have to do something, because right now I hard-coded it to alt.

Interesting, I have that installed and didn't have a problem, but maybe it needs to be activated.

Thanks for letting me know.

New release, adds remappable screenshot key.  Also added note to OP about the GeForce Experience

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to make this interact with the steamworks dll to make it be able to send the Screenshots to Steam's interface?

Also, if it isn't already, can you make something that will up terrain detail to max and all objects to Max-LOD for the screenshot and produce HDR expanded color gamut  and/or compressed HDR color correction enhanced gamut function for the screenshots?  While this will consume massive resources, and cause visual glitches when making screenshots, it would make for some awesome screenshots!

Edited by Ruedii
Moar ideas

16 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Is there a way to make this interact with the steamworks dll to make it be able to send the Screenshots to Steam's interface?

I'll let linuxgurugamer confirm, but I'm pretty sure that the only way to do this would be to overwrite KSP's default screenshot behavior, so it stopped saving to KSP/Screenshots. It might be something that can be toggled, but I suspect otherwise, else someone would have released a mod for exactly this sort of request by now. That said, I could be wrong.

18 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Also, if it isn't already, can you make something that will up terrain detail to max and all objects to Max-LOD for the screenshot and produce HDR expanded color gamut  and/or compressed HDR color correction enhanced gamut function for the screenshots?  While this will consume massive resources, and cause visual glitches when making screenshots, it would make for some awesome screenshots!

i have no idea how to do that.  This is a mod that someone requested that I get working, but I'm not spending a lot of time on it.  If someone else knows how to do this and submits a PR, I'd be happy to include it.

• 5 months later...
Just now, voicey99 said:

It isn't hardcoded, it is remappable in BOSS.cfg (but not unmappable). I just mapped it to my bin key of #.

You are correct, the initial mapping is LeftAlt-F1, my mistake, I just did a quick look at the code.

As of now, that's the only way, I have no plans to add a UI to this to remap the keys

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.