Azimech's Racing Track

Azimech's Racing Track

High speed racing for adrenaline freaks!

7p2QcPK.png

This challenge will unleash the freak in you! Speeds over 100 m/s are the norm.

The track: Drive to the end of the runway and jump (bada55 mode) or drive (chicken mode) past the first flag, turn around the second, go left past the third ... etc. You'll figure it out. The race ends in three possible ways:

• Engine not even warm yet!: Park your car on the launchpad.
  • More more more!: Jump from the launchpad and race to the first flag for a second lap, park the car on the launchpad.
  • Are you serious?: Yes! Four times!

Basic rules:

• Make a video. And I like Rover Wheel Sounds with my racing sounds or your own. If you want to make a video with the boring jet sounds, fine.
  • Boost Flaps are encouraged, they interrupt the jet stream to help you brake and eliminate "turbo lag", you can keep your jets at full throttle all the time. If you don't know how to build one, download my Charger. It's best to bind it/them to the brakes. They may be mounted horizontally or vertically.
  • Part clipping is encouraged, especially wheels and engines.
  • Engines may be mounted anywhere.
  • Cars are required to start with a TT18-A launch stabilizer. This way the timer will start when you decouple/activate your engine(s).
  • The use of No Offset Limits is not allowed. Otherwise people with mods would have an unfair advantage.
  • Part mods, FAR etc. are not allowed. Only visual/audio mods.
  • Losing parts is not allowed. However, we all like crash video's.
  • Working control surfaces are not allowed. Except the Boost Flap, obviously.
  • What you do with your wheels is not my business.
  • Electric assistance is allowed.
  • Keep the resource window open.

Single seaters have four classes.

• Class 4: One Juno, max 4 Rovemax M1 wheels, no aerodynamics except the little effect of the Boost Flap.
  • Class 3: Two Juno's, max of 8 Rovemax M1 wheels, free aerodynamics.
  • Class 2: Three Juno's, max of 10 Rovemax M1 wheels, free aerodynamics.
  • Class 1: Four Juno's, max of 14 Rovemax M1 wheels, free aerodynamics.

Stock cars have two classes. Stock cars are required to be somehow believable as being normal production cars. This means a hood, trunk, roof and "doors". The front and rear of the cars are permitted open to reduce drag. Required: two headlights, two brake lights, four seats.

• Duke class: Max of 2 Juno's, 8 Rovemax M1 wheels, free aerodynamics, minimal car length 5m.
  • King class: Max of 4 Juno's, 4 TR2L's or 8 Rovemax M1's, free aerodynamics, minimal car length 6m.
  • Will there be an Emperor class?

Rover Wheel Sounds

My sounds

Instructions when installing my sounds: copy the Wheelsounds folder on top of the original. Now go into the folder, remove the original ModuleManager_Wheelsounds.cfg. After that, choose if you want the V8 sound or the Detroit Diesel sound for the TR2-L wheel. Rename the sound you don't want by changing the extension of the filename (usually I do .cf_ ). Now start up KSP and you're done.

Download Track 1

This post will be updated when the first results arrive.

Results so far (forgotten any, lemme know):

Class 4:

Class 3:

1.  HarrySeaward, 2:14 (and welcome to the forum!)
  2. SasquatchM, 2:30

Class 2:

Class 1:

Duke:

King:

1.  borbalf, 3:19

40 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Are flying rover allowed?

PH7jNqF.png

Got the wing angle the wrong way round

Also when you say free aerodynamics I assume you mean fixed spoilers?

Indeed, fixed spoilers. Moving spoilers not allowed.

Unfortunately, I took the scenic route for turn 9 (which only costed me more time). Separating from the main capsule rather than a stabilizer also starts the timer upon movement. Here is my cheeky, horribly edited video / submission if missing a turn doesn't DQ me. No worries though, I still am doing another run! :D 

Edit:

Just ran the track once again doing the correct turn this time, I still ended up with 3:12.... odd

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

2 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Thanks. Also what would you suggest I use to make the video (never attempted one before)

A lot of people seem to use FRAPS ... I used MSI Afterburner a lot but not very satisfied with it.

1 hour ago, mrmcp1 said:

I have finished my car for class 3 PKmFbmb.png

1C0IkfL.png

Now I just need to remember the track

Ahhh, add like to more wheels so you can be in the same class as the F1 :wink: 

Also, if you want a recording software for cheap, OBS is the way to go, I just prefer FRAPS because its simple to use and records great (at the expense of huge video files of course)

15 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I've been working on a lightweight car for this challenge, but I've been running into a bug in which the suspension on my wheels spazzes out after a hard turn, eventually flipping my car. 6QH7GYI.jpg

Is it really a bug or just too much grip/too narrow track/CoM too high?

22 hours ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Ahhh, add like to more wheels so you can be in the same class as the F1 :wink: 

Also, if you want a recording software for cheap, OBS is the way to go, I just prefer FRAPS because its simple to use and records great (at the expense of huge video files of course)

Your wheels are so well clipped I assumed you where using 8 wheels. Is your car class 2? If will alter it to meet the other class as well

Edited by mrmcp1

1 hour ago, mrmcp1 said:

Your wheels are so well clipped I assumed you where using 8 wheels. Is your car class 2? If will alter it to meet the other class as well

Yep, class 2 (Kind of unfortunate as their are better designs that could possibly go faster than 120 m/s but hey its an F1)

6 in the rear (3 each side) 

4 in the front (2 each side)

Thanks, I really tried blending it to look as one solid tire :D 

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

Is it really a bug or just too much grip/too narrow track/CoM too high?

It's definitely a bug. Sometimes I can even trigger it at low speed, bring the car to a complete stop, and it will still proceed to jitter until it either breaks or flips upside-down.

I'm currently experimenting with suspension set to zero, and that seems to have gotten rid reduced the destructiveness of the spazzing, but I'm guessing the lack of cushioning will mess me up if I hit a bump at speed.

BTW, how's 20G for handling?

Edit: Yep! Zero suspension is horrible for those ramps

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
update

26 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Oops ... oversight ... what are you doing with those SAS modules ;-)

Downforce creating jet ... yep, that's worth a different class :-)

The SAS is mainly for stability (the car has some weird handling characteristics) but I do use them to help with corners. It might be best to impose a limit on the amount of modules (I can remove the SAS if you want). The downforce creating jet seems to make rolling impossible 

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Oops ... oversight ... what are you doing with those SAS modules ;-)

Downforce creating jet ... yep, that's worth a different class :-)

I use SAS too mainly for stability, but if you want I can remove it! So downforce jets are a different category?

Yeah I'm no fan of "magic modules" like SAS. My cars don't use them, my planes don't use them, except rovers meant to drive on low gravity worlds. I think SAS creates the illusion a car is good and doesn't push the designer to really analyze what the problem is and how to overcome it.

Same with the "ground effect" in terms of roadholding but because it adds more fuel consumption, more mass and a helluvalot more parasitic drag there's a definite penalty in terms of acceleration and top speed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.