Stop RCS Auto Adjusting While On EVA?

Kerbals "auto adjust" RCS on their own while on EVA. For example, when I hit Q or E to "spin" there is some sort of automatic adjusting that the RCS thrusters do. It is VERY annoying to me and I'd LOVE to disable it somehow. Any suggestions?

To recreate this, simply perform EVA, engage RCS, hit the Q or E key and observe the game auto adjusting your kerbal.

2 minutes ago, bewing said:

There is also a button in your Main Menu settings that says "Auto Adjust to Camera on EVA". Unclick that button, too.

Just to be clear I do not use SAS and I'm aware of auto camera adjust setting and key. I should have mentioned that in the OP.

Neither of these things are or fix the issue. Thanks for the replies though

I think the reason this happens is because, as far as I know, Kerbals don't have built-in reaction wheel to rotate them. If a kerbal starts tumbling, nothing can prevent that other than RCS. I would think most players don't want to deal with an uncontrollable Kerbal tumbling in zero-gravity just because the player would like to conserve some EVA propellant. I'd personally would want my Kerbals in full, stable control. The idea of a kerbal in a perpetual drift-spin or manually having to counter rotations sounds like a nightmare.

@bewing That could be it but I'm not sure. @StahnAileron seems to know what I'm talking about and yes, having to do counter rotations on EVA could be a nightmare but you do it when docking and you do it for the majority of EVA RCS controls (W,A,S,D inputs all require a counter input to "stop")

The point is I know I could manage controlled EVA maneuvering if the game didn't help me counter. I just don't like the idea of the game forcing me to hold hands with it and I really think they should add the option to disable it for people like me who enjoy the challenge

OK, I think I'm beginning to get what you mean. You want 6 DOF control of Kerbals on EVA, with no stability assistance at all? Without a joystick, I don't think it would be workable. On/Off thrust control of the RCS jetpacks with the keyboard would just be a mess -- because the RCS jets pack too much punch for that.

12 hours ago, bewing said:

OK, I think I'm beginning to get what you mean. You want 6 DOF control of Kerbals on EVA, with no stability assistance at all? Without a joystick, I don't think it would be workable. On/Off thrust control of the RCS jetpacks with the keyboard would just be a mess -- because the RCS jets pack too much punch for that.

I usually use precision controls and still dial the limiter back a bit on EVA. Honestly, It's not a big deal. I just don't like not having the ability to disable it. Pretty much every game I play, I want the hardest difficulty and zero in game assistance. I've logged a lot of hours in KSP and haven't even gone past Duna because of the unforgiving settings I use lol. 

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll just have to live with it for now.  :-/

Cheers

It's not the worst part. With KIS/KAS when I want to drag a part from inventory or something, the drag is interpreted as a command to turn around and RCS is just happily firing when the engineer is doing some operation.

Now I have a habit of turning off RCS when I'm not using jet pack.

On 10/31/2016 at 10:02 PM, FancyMouse said:

It's not the worst part. With KIS/KAS when I want to drag a part from inventory or something, the drag is interpreted as a command to turn around and RCS is just happily firing when the engineer is doing some operation.

Now I have a habit of turning off RCS when I'm not using jet pack.

This is one of many reasons I use EVAEnhancements Continued. I highly recommend it

Well, you got another upvote from me because it's a very valid question, despite the lack of a real answer. Kerbal EVA suffers from quite a few little shortcomings (as another example, I have yet to work out exactly when it is possible to use the thrusters when in map view, and when my Kerbal will instead try to reorient himself - is that "to camera" on map view or where?); I'd be delighted it it got some dev time in future...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.