Kerbal Space Program 1.2.1 is live!

UomoCapra

On ‎02‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 4:11 PM, adsii1970 said:

If I may add something to the conversation, KSP has become an international game long before it was even released. Back when I joined the forum, I was surprised at the number of forum members that were outside of North America, Western Europe, and Asia. We have people that play this game - both male and female - from nearly every nation of the world that has Internet access. And that kind of popularity has been built since the initial free demo game was released.

It is the better part of hubris we, as forum users, mod makers, and even the folks at Squad need to remember - we must try hard not to offend, but remember that if an offense against us is committed, it may not be intentional but may be the result of cultural differences. I applaud Squad's proactive approach in removing the word since it could have caused an offense in a language other than English. It is what a responsible company does.

On ‎02‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 4:28 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

In this particular case the word isn't necessary nor does it add to the function of the part. Why include a word that some find offensive when it adds nothing?

This is the part that I don't get: How does this change negatively affect anyone at all?

Well, the problem being that anything and everything can and will be offensive to someone somewhere and thus we can't have any games, music, clothes or no clothes or be outside our homes.

For the sake of argument, what if people are offended by rockets in general or green anthropomorphic beings?

I don't mind squad did it... but it's something to think about...

More on topic... thank you for yet another update/patch squad. :)

Edited by 78stonewobble

2 minutes ago, 78stonewobble said:

Well, the problem being that anything and everything can and will be offensive to someone somewhere and thus we can't have any games, music, clothes or no clothes or be outside our homes.

For the sake of argument, what if people are offended by rockets in general or green anthropomorphic beings?

Sure, sure, that would be more unreasonable and likely not changed. But this was a minor thing that in no way affected the functionality of the part, and it was a joke that likely would never have been made had it been known at the time that the word is a bad one in some languages. It's an easy fix that had no downside, why wouldn't they fix it?

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Sure, sure, that would be more unreasonable and likely not changed. But this was a minor thing that in no way affected the functionality of the part, and it was a joke that likely would never have been made had it been known at the time that the word is a bad one in some languages. It's an easy fix that had no downside, why wouldn't they fix it?

Well, as I said, I have no problem with Squad doing this. :) They're a company...

I just, personally and generally, don't think people need to change their stuff to fit my sensibilities and subjective tastes and I also think it's unfair to push those on other people.

If people wanted to afford me and my tastes the same courtesies, people would frown upon people wearing the colours orange and purple in public (they would say it could be offensive to people with my aesthetical tastes), there would be protests to paint over that huge orange building around here and campaigns to boycot the local sushibars (I don't like fish). :D ...

That's not actually a society I want tho... people can wear what they want, frequent what restaurants they want... and I have the choice to avoid those things for myself, not to dictate it for others.

EDIT and PS: But that's a whole nother debate... :) my comment wasn't at squad doing what a business should, but at people seeing this as necessarily a good thing.

Edited by 78stonewobble

@78stonewobble The change wasn't pushed on Squad by anyone. I believe it was more a case of "This word on this part, are you aware that it's an obscenity in some languages?" "No, we weren't aware, and we don't want obscenities in our game if we can help it. We'll change it."

People are really making a mountain out of a molehill about this. It's not some war between free speech and political correctness zealots, it's a minor fix to make the game appropriate for as many people as possible.

Can't see anything about immediate level up difficulty option. I've enabled is (since, wth, guys just inserted that flag into Mun surface, didn't he get more experienced right now?), but green guys get leveled up upon recovery, as before. Don't see anything on forums about this issue, maybe I'm the only lucky one?)

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@78stonewobble The change wasn't pushed on Squad by anyone. I believe it was more a case of "This word on this part, are you aware that it's an obscenity in some languages?" "No, we weren't aware, and we don't want obscenities in our game if we can help it. We'll change it."

People are really making a mountain out of a molehill about this. It's not some war between free speech and political correctness zealots, it's a minor fix to make the game appropriate for as many people as possible.

And as I said before... I have no problem with squad making the change.

I have a problem with people thinking a non offensive game is a good way to make a game, because then we can't have any games at all, since someone somewhere will find anything offensive.

The only way out of that fix and have a game, is to then say that it's ok to be offensive to some people, but not others. Which implicitly leads us to value some people over others and give more rights to some people than others and that is a step backwards, which isn't good.

Or in other words... Not offending anyone is unworkable. Only not offending some people is being unfair and giving unequal rights (it's actually discriminating)... Whereas to say that you can offend everyone is inherently fair and equal.

Just something to think about...

Edited by 78stonewobble

donno what we still are arguing about..

Im stuck on wondering how it might have come THAT some language has this meaning for "kurvy"

:-/

Edited by Speadge

3 hours ago, Speadge said:

donno what we still are arguing about..

Im stuck on wondering how it might have come THAT some language has this meaning for "kurvy"

:-/

Yeah... I unofficially hereby name KSP update 1.2.1

"The KurvGate Update"

People are talking about it a bit too much if you ask me.

Edited by Gianni1122

The deal with the text is this: If you can offend less people by making a small, cosmetic change which does not affect gameplay, why not make it? The idea of someone being offended by rockets or anthropomorphic green creatures, yet still playing KSP, is ridiculous. The idea of someone who plays KSP but would be offended by rude words scrawled on their rockets, on the other hand, is perfectly reasonable, and even likely.

hope all my mods work still.... didn't even started 1.2 yet cause of missing mods -.-
Would be a shame to have to wait even longer.

About the description text: on a kinda known browser game the servers are named after greek numbers.... now check what number 7 is and then release a server named like that in spain. Fun guaranteed.....

Spoiler

7 in greek is ETA . ETA in spain is a abbreviation for a terrorist group.

Edited by Ringkeeper

7 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Well you can put me in the camp of people who didn`t even know there were words on the adapter in the first place...

This fix is so minor as far as my game goes that I`m not sure I`ll notice. If that was my native language though I`d probably notice, and if I were the parent of a child from that country I might get upset if it were not changed.

I`m possibly one of the least politically correct people you will meet but there is no reason to have obscenities in any language in a game designed for all ages and countries. Now that localisation is being implemented it seems the right time to check which words in the game don`t translate well.

buahhh.... !

what a nightmare for a modder !  every 30 day konvert to the latest version  !   

-  I will never finish my new project...  frustration rises with beer consumption  :)

cheers !

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

5 hours ago, Rosarium said:

maybe i've miss something but with the new patch i can't:

-remove fairing decoupler from the stage tree.

-no more autostruct.

-no fuel turtle.

Mmm...strange I have them, do you have tweakable enabled in the settings?

Edited by brusura

On 4-11-2016 at 0:01 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

This ... is a lie! Nothing personal RIC but this is total BS!
They could have known. They SHOULD have known.

Within days after this part was remodelled and re-textured for 0.90 (December 15th 2014) people have mentioned the other meaning. On Reddit there is even a thread mentioning this dating from December 16th (https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2phybb/kurvy_kurvy/). Only ONE day after release!
And it has been on the forum here too:

I've seen people being upset it was there. I've seen people being upset it has been removed. You should not be upset by any of these. You should be upset about the fact it took Squad nearly two fragging years to fix it.

Moving away from the whole text thing that is now so pointless and boring I must say this patch seems to have improved the smoothness of KSP on my machine. I doubtit has and it could be in my mind but it seems to have. Also, most ofthe mods I use have been updated so me is a happy boy :)

2 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

This ... is a lie! Nothing personal RIC but this is total BS!
They could have known. They SHOULD have known.

Within days after this part was remodelled and re-textured for 0.90 (December 15th 2014) people have mentioned the other meaning. On Reddit there is even a thread mentioning this dating from December 16th (https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2phybb/kurvy_kurvy/). Only ONE day after release!
And it has been on the forum here too:

I've seen people being upset it was there. I've seen people being upset it has been removed. You should not be upset by any of these. You should be upset about the fact it took Squad nearly two fragging years to fix it.

Reported on the bugtracker 6 months ago here, as I understand it it was given a fairly low priority at the time (I think most would agree that the fixes being worked on for 1.1.x/1.2 were a higher priority). Now that localization is being worked on it was given a higher priority and fixed. I am not upset by any of this.

25 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Reported on the bugtracker 6 months ago here, as I understand it it was given a fairly low priority at the time (I think most would agree that the fixes being worked on for 1.1.x/1.2 were a higher priority). Now that localization is being worked on it was given a higher priority and fixed. I am not upset by any of this.

Sure. I wholeheartedly agree with you bug fixes were more important. You are absolutely right one has to set priorities. Anything beyond 1.0.5 was an utter disaster and gladly 1.2.x has fixed most of it. But that doesn't change the fact that "No, we weren't aware" is an incredibly lame excuse.
"Kurvy" has been known for nearly two years. It was discovered within a day. Squad should have done their homework. I'll stick to what I said before: They could have known. They SHOULD have known.

Squad probably knew but it was a low priority. Now that localisation is being done it seems the right time to do it properly, textures and all.

I recall many people raising many issues over the last two years and all of them were arguably more important than a single word on the side of a minor part.

Storm in a teacup, I`m not going to get drawn into the faux outrage.

This-is-an-outrage.jpg

They weren't aware of the word's meaning when the texture was made is what I meant. When they found out it's an inappropriate word I don't really know, but I understand it being a low priority to fix up until now.

Back to my earlier statement, this is mountainous molehill territory. I kind of wish it hadn't been mentioned in the changelog, I wonder how long it would have been before it was actually noticed?

29 minutes ago, sompedro said:

The HG-5 High Gain Antenna  still not working as a relay :( Its actually work as a simple direct antenna.

This antenna does work as a relay, but its range to other antenna is very short, antenna do not gain a benefit from a higher tier tracking station between each other, only to the Kerbin ground stations.

For proof put at few satellites around the Mun that use the HG-5, the satellites that are occluded by the Mun will relay to the other satellites and then to Kerbin.

wexI0Yx.png