Discuss Editor Extensions Redux "Fine Part Adjust" mode vs. the "Part Angle Display" mod

linuxgurugamer

Discuss Editor Extensions Redux "Fine Part Adjust" mode vs. the "Part Angle Display" mod  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should Editor Extensions Redux remove the Fine Part Adjust in favor of the Part Angle Display mod?

• Yes
    • No

...I wasn't even aware EEX had a Fine Part Adjust option, until I saw this post. :blush:

I don't use PAD myself, and given my ignorance of EEX's FPA option, my opinion probably doesn't count for much, and so I'm abstaining from the poll.

But I'm personally in favor of having one mod that works well enough, rather than multiple mods that work perfectly.

I only have PAD installed to see the actual degree at which parts are rotated. Maybe EEX should add this? Then there would be no need to install PAD with EEX and therefore no conflicts of interest.

I realize people would need to know they don't need PAD installed with EEX, but it's still another solution IMO

Edited by Drew Kerman

I've never tried PAD but I don't use the EER Fine Adjust.  I commented in a thread a while back the reasons I don't like it in its current form :-).

It would be nice if EER converted the rotation quaternions to euler angles or whatever and showed those in the "Position Debug" window as well.

I've sent my thoughts about the supposed interference, and about the fine rotation feature in EER in general, directly to LGG, but I'll just point out here that the main features of PAD are that it displays the attach angle of the part and allows you to change the angle increment of the stock part rotation keys (normal and fine) and also set increments for the Alt-WASDQE keys.  This allows you to easily set the rotation to any arbitrarily accurate angle, e.g. the vessel in my avatar required angles to be set to 31.72 degrees.

One thing I've noticed between the two: in Editor Extensions, the Fine Part Adjust can change the angles of the part while the part is attached to the ship; Part Angle Display only allows angle adjustment before the part is placed on the ship. I enjoy being able to adjust angles with the changeable AngleSnap increments in EE with the stock part rotation tool, but I always wanted to see the numeric angles that PAD has. Currently I'm only using PAD for the numeric angles (all I really need) but I'm annoyed I have to pick up the part before changing the angles. If Editor Extensions can display the numeric angles of the part in question, or if Part Angle Display can allow the stock part rotator to adjust parts at the increments PAD allows, that would be perfect for me.

As far as the poll goes, Editor Extensions should keep its Fine Part Adjustment capabilities.

Edited by SchwinnTropius
minor clarification

So I touched KSP again for a little while last night. Now I realize exactly what was going on with the rotate gizmo for me.

I've used both EEX (original) and PAD since 0.90. The (recent?) change to EEX's rotation handling has thrown me off simply because the rotation angle it uses is tied to the angle snap setting. IMHO, I prefer PAD because it let's me set any arbitrary angle on-the-fly (Coarse and Fine) independent of the angle snap. I have to screw around with the angle snap setting often enough as-is; tying rotation angles to it as well is a bit frustrating. (I kinda wish EEX had a sidebar with all your snap angles one-click away instead of having to cycle through them with <c>.)

I would like an option to disable this feature in EEX if I have PAD installed.

9 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

I kinda wish EEX had a sidebar with all your snap angles one-click away instead of having to cycle through them with

Interesting idea, add it as an issue on Github

I am curious as to whether you are using the recent update to EEX which fixed the rotation angle.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I am curious as to whether you are using the recent update to EEX which fixed the rotation angle.

I had no choice: EEX disabled itself on me when I tried out KSP 1.2.1. I had to download the latest version as of late Saturday night, EDT. The rotation gizmo was tied to the angle snap (shift-rotation using the gizmo was 1/3 the angle snap setting). Not sure if this was the rotation you're referring to or free rotation (rotating the part first, then placing it.)

4 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

I had no choice: EEX disabled itself on me when I tried out KSP 1.2.1. I had to download the latest version as of late Saturday night, EDT. The rotation gizmo was tied to the angle snap (shift-rotation using the gizmo was 1/3 the angle snap setting). Not sure if this was the rotation you're referring to or free rotation (rotating the part first, then placing it.)

There was an update this morning which fixed a bug ,  I don't think you are running it.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

There was an update this morning which fixed a bug ,  I don't think you are running it.

Hmm... Just checked the version file. I have 3.3.7, which is the latest according to GitHub. (Want me to add that feature request about snap angles? I just remembered I actually had a GitHub account...)

Just now, StahnAileron said:

Hmm... Just checked the version file. I have 3.3.7, which is the latest according to GitHub. (Want me to add that feature request about snap angles? I just remembered I actually had a GitHub account...)

Yes, you do have the latest.  please add the feature request  also add onextra to have option to disable the fine adjust 

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.