Combination Flying Wing and Lifting Body

Ja3k_Frost

This is my first formal project, so bear with me if it isn't perfect.

Some background:

I like the flying wing aircraft concept a lot, planes like the Ho 229 and the B2 bomber are some of the coolest flying machines. I don't understand all the advantages of the flying wing design as apposed to conventional fuselages or other alternatives. Another concept I really enjoy messing around with is the lifting bodies that NASA was experimenting with slightly before they came up with the space shuttle. Things like the Martin Marietta x-24 and the similar Scramjet Drones that are more modern are my chief inspiration here.

One big problem I have is that I don't totally understand the advantages of both designs, so some help here would be much appreciated. Both in reality and in game. I have some basic questions about the fundamentals of where each design is most effective (such as general altitude) and why. I usually end up relying on the fact that I appreciate well engineered machines and that if it looks really cool, then it probably works well too.

So here is the actual idea I had:

Using the idea of the swing wing, which briefly explained is that the wing changes angle to improve performance at different speeds, I want to create a flying wing aircraft where the wings would swivel forwards (Probably using a mod like infernal robotics) to create the profile of a lifting body aircraft.

Lastly, Here are some conclusions I have come to:

This is in no way practical in real life, I totally understand that, but this is Kerbal, and all things are at least attempt able. I don't understand the intricacies exactly of what I am suggesting, or even if it can be done, which is why I am leaving it here as a discussion point, for some peer review. I look forward to any advice or input given and will have some paper concept drawings added eventually.

-Ja3k

The easiest way to explain the differences between a flying wing and a regular fuselage/wing set up would be to build one and see how it flies. For example, take the very simplest flying wing set up for stock: Mk1 cockpit, the largest areoplane wings (FAT-455) and fuel/engines. This design, with the addition of a vertical stabilizer, flies rather well below Mach 1, with variable "best" altitude dependent on what engine you're using. 

I use this design with a "whiplash" engine for long range scouting of low atmo planets, as I've found that there is a great mass/lift ratio, resulting in lower take off speeds on Kerbin, which translates to a better flight in a lower density atmosphere. 

There is a mod for variable geometry wings.

the mod itself doesn't provide any actual wings; it's just a resource for other modders, but SXT provides a wing that utilizes it.

I can't give you a good overview of how 'flying wing' and 'lifting body' differs, and probably this forum is not the best place to get the answers - I can suggest aviation.stackexchange.com as the right site to ask.

Regardless, all MK2 parts act as lifting surfaces on top of their normal function, so if you're thinking of something funny like a wingless plane with just hull for lift, that's where you should be looking. And of course the Stockalike Mk2 Expansion mod, which provides a lot of extra MK2 parts.

OK, so this turned out to be in some ways less complicated and in others more than i though it would be. As it turns out, flying wing orientation is very stable at subsonic speeds. Unfortunately, there is a basic design pitfall.

The core of the fuselage for a flying wing sits almost exactly in between the wings, which are swept back slightly and translated down in order to provide a center of lift behind and below the center of mass. By using an infernal robotics rotatron(?) and rotating the wings forwards the center of lift suddenly changes to way out in front of the center of mass. I figure this is because in game, all the wings provide the same lift regardless of orientation relative to their motion. So a wing upside down and backwards does the same job as one in the "correct" position (I might be totally misunderstanding a game mechanic, if so please correct me). I don't know how to overcome this, so any advice would be nice. As I am still rather new posting on the forums, I don't quite know how to get the pictures added yet, but they should be here in less than 48 hrs for anyone interested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.