Mars Series

Atlas2342

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it all tonight (first episode).

Meh.

Spoiler

So they have the landing issue that puts them 75km from any pre-landed facility (farther from the real habs), and the engine bells are damaged, but the facility nearby has 3d printers or something.

OK, fine, drama. Luckily that facility has a crew capable (enclosed) rover, that they can remote control. They drive it to the landing site. All the crew are going to get aboard the rover (2000kg overloaded with all of them) to drive 75km.

Why not put however many crew it can carry, plus some supplies if needed, and have the rest live in the vehicle they landed in (very large, I think it's also the transfer vehicle)? They can then robotically drive back, and transfer the crew in a few trips. Even at slow, rover speeds, that's what, a 10 hour drive? Nothing.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Meh.

Hide contents

So they have the landing issue that puts them 75km from any pre-landed facility (farther from the real habs), and the engine bells are damaged, but the facility nearby has 3d printers or something.

OK, fine, drama. Luckily that facility has a crew capable (enclosed) rover, that they can remote control. They drive it to the landing site. All the crew are going to get aboard the rover (2000kg overloaded with all of them) to drive 75km.

Why not put however many crew it can carry, plus some supplies if needed, and have the rest live in the vehicle they landed in (very large, I think it's also the transfer vehicle)? They can then robotically drive back, and transfer the crew in a few trips. Even at slow, rover speeds, that's what, a 10 hour drive? Nothing.

I thought the exact same thing. Seems they really are stretching for drama and the acting,  I'm not too fond of. Don't get me wrong,  I'll watch it,  if only for the visuals and to critique it.  Hopefully it gets better. 

Just watched the first two last night. It's entertaining, but fluffy. It suffers from being written by Hollywood. My wife and I were sitting there pointing out all of the holes in their writing. We'll probably watch the rest of it, then promptly forget about it.

I can't say I enjoy the whole drama aspect which goes more or less like this:

-Someone will die on this planet!

-But you don't know that! Everything is good so far and we haven't even went there yet!

-Yeah, but someone will! And it's for the future, ya know!

The death scene in the second episode was actually pretty sad though. But yeah, it's not that good. It's a TV show, not a documentary (maybe kind of both?). They could focus on the actors and the story a bit less and talk about the actual engineering. Why the Raptor is so different from Merlin, what's the difference in fuel type and why it's important for ISRU and all that jazz. I think I would enjoy that a bit more tbh.

"Eh, I'll watch it anyway."/10

On 18/11/2016 at 6:05 AM, tater said:

Meh.

Hide contents

Yeah, same. I think it could actually make it slightly more realistic and better. Also an opportunity to stretch the series a bit. The script writer was obviously not really interested in the whole "how to actually deal with this problem" idea. Or maybe he wasn't paid enough?

Edited by Veeltch

2 hours ago, Veeltch said:

They could focus on the actors and the story a bit less and talk about the actual engineering.

I think that would take away from what they're trying to do.  They focus on the people because they want to show how sending people to Mars might affect them*.  Changing it from a focus on the people to the technology would make it a completely different show.

2 hours ago, Veeltch said:

"Eh, I'll watch it anyway."/10

Yeah, that's been my reaction.  I caught myself dozing off a few times watching the last episode.

*Whether they do a good job of it is a completely different question.

Edited by razark

Watched the first two episodes. It's okay, but PREPARE FOR A RANT! 

I warned you... 

Spoiler

Okay, so the first nitpick I have with it is at the beginning of the first episode. You know how the RCS is broken and they are entering the atmosphere? Hey, geniuses, there's something called ENGINE GIMBALLING! It'll only waste a little fuel to turn the ship around (and you probably packed extra fuel anyway). Also, why on Earth in the solar system would you not be properly oriented LONG before reentry? They do that so that this exact sort of thing does not happen! 

The guy's injury: G-Forces do not go from microgravity to >1 G in LESS THAN 30 SECONDS! The G-Forces would have actually been at ~0.5 G when he fell. Falling from ~10 feet in ~0.5 G is like falling from 5 feet in 1 G. Painful, but not in any way fatal. Also, at the end of the second episode, they said his spleen was damaged and they took it out? A: He didn't even fall on his spleen, and B: Goodbye, immune system! I also noticed when they were operating on him, THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM ANY ANESTHETIC! How painful, he's having surgery and he's not even out of it! 

Nitpick 3: Wait, you only have 100 hours of breathable air left in the ship? Have you ever heard of a CO2 scrubber? Speaking of which, how did you breathe for 7 months in the interplanetary cruise without a scrubber? 

Nitpick 4: The medic can't treat him without the equipment at the workshop? Okay, that is TERRIBLE planning. Bring some medical equipment and an operating table on the ship! What would you have done if one of the crew had gotten appendicitis during the 7-month cruise? 

Nitpick 5: Please, no flashbacks to the commander's childhood! That trope is OVERUSED! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.