Too much rotation causes wobbling parts

While driving/flying propeller based crafts for more than 10 minutes all parts of the craft get increasingly jittery (and eventually break/crash).

Tested it without mods as well, in KSP 1.2.0.1586.

I'm guessing the problem is that the amount of rotation builds up and the accuracy of the whole physics engine decreases. Is it viable to normalize the rotation values once in a while to prevent this or should I stick to quicksaving & loading (which makes everything stable again)?

Or maybe the cause is something different. Either way, stock propeller enthusiasts would appreciate the help.

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

You are exploiting something that is basically a flaw in the physics engine. And you are seriously surprised this exploit results in other flaws???

Sorry but what exactly am I exploiting? You could take any craft, rotate it enough times and the same result would occur.

I get that not many players tend to rotate their crafts too much so there is no need to focus on this.

But even if rotating a craft is an 'exploit' why would you not want to 'patch' an 'exploit'? Snapping an angle to 0-360 degrees can't be more than 1 line of code.

2 hours ago, silks said:

You could take any craft, rotate it enough times and the same result would occur.

I really don't think it would.  If you are convinced of this then set up a completely stock install and create a vessel that suffers from it and post it in the stock support forum.

2 hours ago, silks said:

Snapping an angle to 0-360 degrees can't be more than 1 line of code.

The game doesn't store rotations like that.  It uses quaternions and these do not suffer from the sort of issue you are imagining.

9 hours ago, Padishar said:

I really don't think it would.  If you are convinced of this then set up a completely stock install and create a vessel that suffers from it and post it in the stock support forum.

You are correct, it seems to only happen with these propeller type crafts. Rotating a probe in orbit for hours didn't make it wobble (although it could not rotate in a fixed axis like the propeller).

Since it is a minor issue I'd rather not spam the same post again. But if anyone cares to investigate this exploit, here is the (completely stock)vessel for testing on (completely stock)Kerbin oceans.

Until then, I accept the "that's an exploit" answer and leave it at that.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.