Secret Biomes

Moesly_Armlis

Poking a science stick around the KSC and noticed some tricky biomes.

Spoiler

kdBsVFX.png

uHl3uRV.png

uKrLRoc.png

Ps0Uc8R.png

EReQ0rJ.png

Tricky to obtain.  The science report is for flying over the VAB but does not register while actually flying over the VAB.  Even directly over top the main building yields the flying over Kerbin's Shores.  The only way to obtain the science is to be on the surface and moving.  These types of science reports can also be obtained from the SPH in the same fashion.

Maybe this is a bug and the biome is not registering while in flight.

Post any secret biomes and please use spoilers.

Yep, Tundra is gone. It was roughly 2/3 the way between the end of airstrip and the slope of grasslands west from KSC, about 20m wide strip on the border of the biomes. Currently KSC reaches right up to the slopes and transits directly into grasslands, with no Tundra.

Generally, every planet had these - one more exotic biome appearing in thin strips right on the border between normal biomes. On Mun that was Poles; I got the Poles science right at the edge of one of the huge craters near the equator. On Minmus that was Slopes. On Kerbin - Tundra. All gone in 1.2, relegated to their respective proper locations only.

@Raideur Ng: This is the proper map for fully upgraded KSC. Level 1 has only the basics (like R&D), no sub-biomes (like R&D Corner Lab or R&D Observatory). Level 2 adds some - and adds VAB South Complex, a couple garages - which vanish in Level 3, so that's one sub-biome can be missed - and you'll never obtain the Gravity Scan of it, because you need Level 3 to get the Negative Gravioli Detector.

edit: eh, no, wait. You can upgrade R&D to level 3 while retaining VAB level 2. So you can get that scan after all.

Edited by Sharpy

I'd like for the "standard science yield" to drop a bit - and to have those "secret biomes" yield more science (to the effect of total science yield of a body the same/minmus dropped); though I do not consider the KSP biomes really secret, they could add secret biomes at those black monoliths and other "hidden" sightseeing spots.

(And yes the take surface sample of a monolith should yield "oh my god, it's full of stars").

Why do you need extra science? In every career mod game I manged to get the Mun pretty quickly without any science gathering, other than runway and launch pad. This science spamming is almost like cheating in a game where there is no rules. As I said cheating in a game with no rules isn't cheating.

As I said: I wish the science gain from normal biomes get reduces (a lot) - and the KSP region shouldn't be considered "special" to this rule. (Though there are other easter eggs like the old landing strip).

Edited by paul23

14 hours ago, Raideur Ng said:

lKWuTu9.png

Soak up that free science. There is a lot of it.

There are many sites to visit for science at the KSC and this map does help but is incomplete. 

The Biome maps have been cleaned up for the 1.2 update.  The Tundra bioome is gone now along with its splashed biome.  Same goes for the Grassland Splashed biome that would have been right next to the Tundra splashed. 

Gone too are the days of settling in on the East Crater and could bring back several biome reports.  The biome hopping done on extra planetary places will now have to be replaced with roving.

The new biomes have helped to replace some of the missing Science Points. 

When I first discovered the biomes listed in the spoiler in the OP, it was in the Science Archives and I was not sure how I obtained them.  Excitingly I began testing and was happy that a new discovery was made.  Hence this post.

There are two new biome areas on Kerbin but I would not call them tricky to obtain.  I was enthusiastic to find one on an expedition for gelato and can surmise that the counter part exist.  The expedition has already been planned and we will be setting off soon.

The playstyle I have chosen is an Extreme Hard career (placing all difficulty sliders for maximum negative effects) and KSC science is vital to a successful agency. Everybody seems to think there is so much easy science just laying around.  Try some EH career and see it from my perspective where if the Science Points indicator is zero but the bar is green you keep the report. 

UxnjO6P.png?1

This smidge of science is after the second report worth 0.02 and the total is now 0.39 Science Points.

t7L2b0J.png?1

But there is still some residue after the third rinse.  I think this is still being added to the grand total but remains 0.39 Science Points for this report.

The new biomes have replaced Science points that were lost during the update to the biome map.  Still keeping the balance in my opinion.

I'm playing "extremely hard" - together with remote technologies & TAC. - Oh and I increased the masses of all (TAC supply) containers by around 10 times, and made fuel up to 5 times as expensive - and reduced science of part tests by 90% (though I doubled the science yield of "survey X at spot XY" contracts).

Still way too easy, at minmus I still get all important science...

Edited by paul23

18 hours ago, paul23 said:

Still way too easy, at minmus I still get all important science...

That's why for my recent games I pretend Minmus doesn't exist. I don't go to EH though.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.