STOL to Space Challenge

AeroGav

We all do it don't we?   Put 3 CRG100 back to back, fill with orange tanks, cluster the cargo bays with so many engines you can't see them, then put a pair of Basic Fins on as wings.    Roar off the end of the runway stalling at mach 1, barely miss the water,  zoom to orbit.

The thing is,  Werner Von Kerman's allotment is at the end of that runway, and he's getting quite fed up with Jeb upsetting his chickens.    So, the challenge is to show something that can takeoff and land horizontally using a bit less runway, whilst still getting to orbit.

The Rules

• Stock parts and physics obviously.  Informational mods are allowed.
  • SSTO please - I do often build spaceplanes with drop tanks and boosters, but i can't see a way to allow that in this challenge without people abusing it.
  • No VTOLs.   Sorry but that is a completely different challenge.   For takeoff and landing from Kerbin, lifting engines are not allowed.   For other planetary bodies, you are allowed to use RCS and Verniers if you wish.
  • No parachutes or Separatrons.   I think  a true STOL  SSTO should just be "fuel and go", and not have to worry about repacking chutes or replacing rockets.  Parachutes wont help at these landing speeds anyway.
  • The vessel will carry a single large mk2 cargo bay with two Science Juniors as payload.  The vessel should be manned and the Kerbal needs a proper pod (no deck chairs or ladders to heaven).   

On clipping

A blanket "no clipping rule" could make this unreasonably hard, it may also stifle some innovative approaches.   In my play testing of this challenge, you may want 3 different kinds of engine on this small SSTO.   For example, I'd very much like to have tried this with one Panther, One Rapier, and one NERV.   Without clipping, you're going to have some most un-fun off-axis thrust issues.  I just spent my morning trying to build a stock Space Shuttle, I don't want to go there.  

So,   I will allow engine clipping so long as it's fully disclosed and so long as there is no way to accommodate your selection in a symmetrical way otherwise.   For example, if you want one rapier and one whiplash, clip away :-)    OTOH, if you're asking for a RAPIER with two junos,  the RAPIER can obviously sit centrally and the junos hang off the wings, no reason to clip.  One Whiplash, one nerv and two terriers?   Well the whiplash and nerv can cohabit, but the pair of terriers can sit either side without violating any laws of physics.

You are also allowed to clip cones onto the back of  any engines that have an unused rear attach node.   I don't feel this is cheating, you are simply bringing the drag values of a RAPIER or other rocket engine down to what nodeless jets like the Whiplash and Panther experience.

But no clipping fuel tanks please and your cargo/service bays need to be big enough for  any items you feel you need (batteries, radiators, reaction wheels) without clipping them inside each other.

Categories and Scoring

Ok there's two ways of doing this.   

My first idea was to have three classes of SSTO.   Orbit,  Minmus, Duna.     Entries in each category would be scored on the total of takeoff  run ength (when full) and landing run length (when empty) on Kerbin.

Details for this version of the challenge,  below

Spoiler

STOL to Orbit Category  - Vehicle is only required to reach a stable orbit, and obviously be capable of re-entering and landing safely. Takeoff distance is measured when fuelled for flight to orbit.  Landing distance measured with as little fuel onboard as you prefer - dead stick and empty is fine.  Scoring is the total of demonstrated takeoff and landing distance.

STOL to Minmus -   As above, but the vehicle needs to be able to reach and return from Minmus.  It should also be able to take off and land horizontally on Minmus's flats, though the distance used for this is not part of the scoring.  RCS and Vernier engines are allowed on Minmus.  Scoring is for the combined takeoff and landing distance on Kerbin, as with all the categories.

STOL to Duna -  These vehicles need to be capable of reaching Duna.  They don't have to be capable of the return journey without refuelling.   However they must be able to land horizontally on Duna, borne primarily by wing lift.  RCS and Vernier engines can be used to assist.   No other lift engines for Duna, and no parachutes.   Again, for the leaderboard, only the takeoff / land distance on Kerbin is considered.

However, I'm tending away from this, because of the difficulty in measuring takeoff and landing run length.

So, keep it simple.

The challenge is to have wheels off the ground by the second set of "Piano Keys" on the runway.   At the takeoff end :confused:

The STO (Short Takeoff to Orbit) award goes to any vessel that can do this and reach orbit.

The STM (Short Takeoff to Minmus) award goes to any vessel that can get airborne by the piano keys, reach Minmus, land there horizontally on the flats, and come back to Kerbin.

The STD (Short Takeoff to Duna) award is for any vessel that can get airborne by the piano keys, land on Duna horizontally, using only wings, RCS and vernors, no parachutes or lift engines.

Oh yes and here's proof btw, that it can be done.  

My design is clearly not optimal.   Two nervs  is obviously excessive on something this size.  One rapier is actually ok for speed run, but the subsonic climb to orbit wastes a lot of fuel due to low TWR of rapier in subsonic mode - some junos or panthers would really help.

Also note how low wing loading plus wings angled with incidence makes it hard to fly fast unless you're going very very high up.  So high in fact that the engines flame out first :(  So I'd recommend using low wing loading or incidence, but not both together.  On the bright side, look at how easily it climbs away once the nervs start up.   It lifts itself above the atmosphere at quite low speed and the orange glow dies off.  No heat whatsoever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.