[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

Getting back to work now. Got some big work to do. Even gas planets are much harder to do than stars. Dont expect too much complexity out of them. They will initially only be unique in size, orbit, and texture. I may eventually add different types though: Jovian, Saturnian, Uranian, Neptune, Etc. 

Edited by daniel l.
Getting rid of quote that for some reason made it in there. Damn glitchy forum.

Just made an awesome discovery! In 64 bit mode the game can handle FAR more stars! I just got a game with over 700 diverse stars working without serious lag.

Gas giants have been largely stabilized now. I guess its time to move on to solids. I'll start with procedural asteroids like gilly.

29 minutes ago, Kosmonaut said:

that is so cool

I know right? I'm pretty spellbound by it myself. I'd been promising to do something like this for years but never delivered. Now i'm filling a unique niche in the modding market.

EUREKA!!!

dTYCk6n.png

THE FIRST PROCEDURALLY GENERATED SOLID WORLD IN KSP MODDING HISTORY!

(May be a little overhyped as they all look suspiciously like Gilly... At least from ScaledSpace.)

Edited by daniel l.

I have decided to release the prototype to you all. Its far from ready for casual gameplay. But i think if i can get some expert opinions i might be better able to iron out the bugs.

Just remember this is not for amateurs. Not yet anyway.

Anyway. The Link will be posted on the front page. So i hope you enjoy :wink:

I took a look at the beta you posted on the first page.
This is a great start. If you are able to get it working with planets around the stars (hopefully nothing too wacky - "regular" planets) this will be a must-have mod.

Question about the galaxy generation :
Is a new/random galaxy generated each time the game is loaded? Or will the randomly generated galaxy be persistent until the mod is re-installed? Does that question make sense?

9 hours ago, tjsnh said:

I took a look at the beta you posted on the first page.
This is a great start. If you are able to get it working with planets around the stars (hopefully nothing too wacky - "regular" planets) this will be a must-have mod.

Question about the galaxy generation :
Is a new/random galaxy generated each time the game is loaded? Or will the randomly generated galaxy be persistent until the mod is re-installed? Does that question make sense?

There is an executable in the mod folder. Just run it and enter the number of stars of each type that you want, and it will generate a new galaxy. :)

Edited by daniel l.

Just now, daniel l. said:

There is an executable in the mod folder. Just run it and enter the number of stars of each type that you want, and it will generate a new galaxy. :)

Well my concern is more that I don't want the galaxy to change on me. For example, if I send some long distance ion probe off to some other star, I don't want that star to cease to exist before the probe gets there. Does that make sense?

1 minute ago, tjsnh said:

Well my concern is more that I don't want the galaxy to change on me. For example, if I send some long distance ion probe off to some other star, I don't want that star to cease to exist before the probe gets there. Does that make sense?

Perfectly. The executable generates a config file containing all the generated objects. It will remain perfectly unchanged until you run the generator executable again. In fact. If you are satisfied with the galaxy you have generated then you can delete the executable, or even share the config with others. If you want you could even flesh it out with your own planets and post it as your own mod as long as I get credit of course :wink:

4 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Daniel, I would advise making actual names. The name gen from this former mod may help:

https://github.com/Jay2645/Randomized-KSP-Systems/blob/master/RandomizedSystems/Systems/SystemNamer.cs

Great idea, I'll implement that when I can. What do you think of my project in general though?

1 hour ago, daniel l. said:

Great idea, I'll implement that when I can. What do you think of my project in general though?

Great, but does it make a black hole at the center and move the Sun? Do flares turn off after a certain distance?

1 minute ago, _Augustus_ said:

Great, but does it make a black hole at the center and move the Sun? Do flares turn off after a certain distance?

It is planned for there to be a black hole in the center, I just havent implemented the code yet. As for the sun flares... If there is a way to make them do that i will follow you!

Edited by daniel l.

I'm working on terrestrial planets. But i need help. I need to find some way to randomly generate planet textures via Kopernicus or the algorithm. If anyone can provide advice? @Thomas P.? @Sigma88? @KillAshley? Please i need to find some way to make this work or you will all be getting terrestrials that look the same from space.

On 25.11.2016 at 7:15 AM, daniel l. said:

EUREKA!!!

dTYCk6n.png

THE FIRST PROCEDURALLY GENERATED SOLID WORLD IN KSP MODDING HISTORY!

(May be a little overhyped as they all look suspiciously like Gilly... At least from ScaledSpace.)

Sorry, but nope.

I was faster with that :P

Feel free to look at the stellarator source for your planets, but I am not sure that it is easily understandable for people who never worked with the Kopernicus / KSP code.

23 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Sorry, but nope.

I was faster with that :P

Feel free to look at the stellarator source for your planets, but I am not sure that it is easily understandable for people who never worked with the Kopernicus / KSP code.

Dammit xD Did you have to rain on my parade *Laughs* Thanks :) Mind if i steal some textures btw?

Wait... Did you say i've never worked with kopernicus code? How dare you! :sticktongue: Anyway. Can you help me find a way to make QB64 (The coding environment i use.) Generate textures?

Edited by daniel l.

1 hour ago, daniel l. said:

Wait... Did you say i've never worked with kopernicus code? How dare you! :sticktongue: Anyway. Can you help me find a way to make QB64 (The coding environment i use.) Generate textures?

Basic... *shudder*

I dont know of any image library for QuickBasic or its dialects, so you would have to work with the raw graphics API it provides, which seems to be just a small shim around DirectX or OpenGL. http://www.qb64.net/wiki/index.php?title=Images

(Cavehead: I never worked with any type of Basic, and I dont plan to start working with it :P)

13 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Basic... *shudder*

I dont know of any image library for QuickBasic or its dialects, so you would have to work with the raw graphics API it provides, which seems to be just a small shim around DirectX or OpenGL. http://www.qb64.net/wiki/index.php?title=Images

(Cavehead: I never worked with any type of Basic, and I dont plan to start working with it :P)

:wink: I am a cavehead. I've tried to learn C++ but i never could wrap my puny head around it. Anyway... I guess i could just hand rip off a few hundred planet textures from Space Engine. But imagine how long it would take (Plus imagine someone finding two identical planets xD i would have to fix that!) Perhaps i could steal some textures from dead packs. (Planet pack graverobbing? :sticktongue:)

Edited by daniel l.

Just now, daniel l. said:

:wink: I am a cavehead. I've tried to learn C++ but i never could wrap my puny head around it. Anyway...

Learn a .NET based language. The .NET Framework has a nice and consistent API, and you dont need to worry about multiplattform crap. (VB.NET maybe? Or C#, but VB.NET might be better to understand the API for you, since you already use a basic dialect.)

I guess i could just hand rip off a few hundred planet textures from Space Engine. But imagine how long it would take (Plus imagine someone finding two identical planets xD i would have to fix that!)

Eww....

Perhaps i could steal some textures from dead packs.

More ewww..