[KSP 1.3.1] Overdrive 1.1.0 - Smoke On The Water (Revamp KSP UI) - 2017-10-28

RealGecko

2 hours ago, RealGecko said:

And about Overdrive - it makes KSP UI rock! Pretty clear IMO :D:D:D:D

It's clear that it adds some drive to the game, definitely a new part :) I think "UI Overdrive" would be clearer.

I think the Overdrive name is fine, but the description can use some tweaking. Especially if you plan to make it a KSP UI theme engine. You get your point across in the right way and the rest won't matter. 

One other thing: Not that there's anything bad about a Les Paul, it's an iconic(proper iconic) rock guitar. I just think a Warlock or something would be better. But I'm more metal than rock these days :wink: 

Kinda offtopic here, but I can't agree with you guys. "Metal" and "sound" are quite opposite. The instruments to make Sound, sweet and pleasant as it should be, are Les Paul and Stratocaster (if not speaking of semi-hollow stuff). All the rest are just different variants of a chainsaw :)

2 hours ago, SCESW said:

All I really want is to be able to click on a menu and not have it click the planet/ship/waypoint/etc behind the menu (especially windows like the ScanSat Big Map).  If your UI mod stops click-throughs... I'm sold.   :-)

Unfortunately it is not possible within Overdrive. Input locking system is the most frustrating part of KSP API I must admit. Every mod developer must implement this "Prevent clickthrough" feature by himself. Some developers know how to do this, some not. For example my Flight Plan mod currently uses pretty brutal input locking - it will lock everything except targeting, so you won't even be to pause the game until cursor is over it's UI. Meanwhile the rest of my mods still remain those pesky "click everywhere" things :D

So if you see some mod that prevents "clickthrough", go and thank it's developer in person :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, westamastaflash said:

I meant any mod that uses the Unity 5 UI system instead of the IMGUI... but after looking @ the code it appears this is just IMGUI.

Unity provides concept of Skins. That mean that you can create Skin and apply it while calling GUILayout functions. KSP by itself ships two skins: it's own - most mods rely on and Unity Smoke Skin, some mods rely on.

The problem is that there's not really much info on how styles work and there's no much flexibility to my liking. That's why I created Unity 5 UI Framework, that's not the best piece of software out there, but does the job I want.

The idea came to me when I decided to fix blurry font rendering in Kartographer. And I saw a mess, I scanned source codes of various KSP mods and saw that every developer really struggles to bring in some nice look into KSP. So if you see some mod with unique UI, that means that developer put some decent amount of time in it :)

11 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

Unity provides concept of Skins. That mean that you can create Skin and apply it while calling GUILayout functions. KSP by itself ships two skins: it's own - most mods rely on and Unity Smoke Skin, some mods rely on.

The problem is that there's not really much info on how styles work and there's no much flexibility to my liking. That's why I created Unity 5 UI Framework, that's not the best piece of software out there, but does the job I want.

The idea came to me when I decided to fix blurry font rendering in Kartographer. And I saw a mess, I scanned source codes of various KSP mods and saw that every developer really struggles to bring in some nice look into KSP. So if you see some mod with unique UI, that means that developer put some decent amount of time in it :)

I don't think I was clear. There are two UI systems in Unity. IMGUI, which uses the GUILayout functions, and the new Unity 4.6 UI that uses the Canvas object and is not an immediate mode GUI, but instead a retained mode GUI. If you're messing with OnGUI() and GUILayout, it is all using the immediate mode GUI. Most of the internals of KSP are switching to the 4.6 UI. See @DMagic's basic orbit modlet for an example using the new UI. OnGUI is full of problems with garbage collection which can cause the game to really get bogged down.

There are definitions for the skins used by the new UI, they can be found in the UISkinManager class, they are basically the same as how the old GUISkins were defined. The only problem is that how they are applied to actual UI elements is entirely dependent on how those UI's are setup. Mods may or may not use that skin (such as Contracts Window +, which has all of its UI elements defined in Unity), or they may be applied before the skin can be changed.

• 2 weeks later...

really love the unified ui this mod provides but there is one or two little issues im having one being when using scansat its impossible to change the large maps to a different planet

(pic)LbamIR1.jpg

unfortunately i rely on scansat for resource scanning for mks so have to remove overdrive and hope for a fix:(

also tagging @DMagic just in case

Edited by BrutalRIP
to add a tag

4 hours ago, BrutalRIP said:

when using scansat its impossible to change the large maps to a different planet

Hmmmm, something similar was in another mod, Celestial Body Science Editor as far as I can remember. Will check that.

3 hours ago, DMagic said:

In any event, SCANsat will be changed over to the new UI sometime soon, so it won't be affected by this mod.

Are you planning to switch to Unity 4.6 UI? I presume it does not have trouble with clickthroughs and all other things. Intriguing why mod developers still stick with OnGUI() and GUILayout...

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.