Model Request - Shuttle and Buran landing gear

As much as I hate dealing with everything about the new forum, it seems like I have to post here (and no, that doesn't mean I'm back, just that new stock wheels screwed us by that much).

As you all know, 1.1 broke the wheels, badly. Me and DECQ were hoping to use KerbalFoundries plugin to use its wheel solution. Now, with Lo-fi on vacation for "a few weeks" and the plugin still bogged down in Unity crap, it's clear that no replacement is forthcoming before the end of the year. Meanwhile, reworked Buran/Energia system (and some other things as well...) is nearing completion, while Space Shuttle System being ready for update since a long time.

I think I have figured out a way to make stock wheel module play nice with the parts, but no such luck on figuring out the wheel setup itself, which is quite arcane. Thus I need to ask for a working (as in, can be tossed into KSP and used as a standalone part) models of Shuttle and Buran wheels. The more detail, the better (within reason), textures should be on the photorealistic side (though if providing those is a problem, DECQ may be able to texture the model as long as it's UVed). With neither me nor DECQ being able to figure the wheels out, and KF being far from usable, we're left with no other options. The author will, of course, get proper credits.

Edited by Guest

@Dragon01

Well, I do have some fairly detailed shuttle landing gear models that you can use if needed.  Not sure how compatible they are with the new stock wheel setup; they were designed around the Unity 4 wheel system, but should be usable under the new system (I did have them working under the new 1.1+ system briefly while I was testing out how to integrate them into the wings, but stopped testing when I found I couldn't integrate them).  Models are fully unwrapped, have basic texturing + AO, and working deployment animations.  Might need to increase texture size and retexture if photo-realistic is what you are going for.

While I personally have no interest in touching the stock wheel modules, you are more than welcome to use them as stand-alone parts if you are interested and don't mind writing the part configs.  Can provide .mu, .blend files and source texturing files if desired.  (With the .blend file you should be able to re-rig it for whatever setup is needed by the new stock wheel system)

Would be willing to release them / allow use under some form of CC license; generally CC-BY-SA-NC, but other derivatives may be considered as well.

Anyhow, let me know if interested and I'll work on putting together some resources for you.

Edited by Shadowmage

Actually, I was thinking about asking you about that, in case DECQ didn't succeed in making KF wheels. :) The only problem, well, I was waiting for you to get KF working. However, that's far further off than I initially assumed. Retexturing them for Buran (painting the hubcaps green, mostly) shouldn't be a problem. The license seems fine. The nice thing about Buran is that its nose wheel is much further back, so with the setup we're using, it's a part of the cargobay, not the cockpit, unlike with Space Shuttle. As the cargobay can have an arbitrary orientation in Unity (and in 1.2, so can the wings), this removes a major obstacle (of course, the biggest one is getting the bloody things to work in first place...). 

You said you had them working under 1.1... If I could just have them+module setup you used, that would be all I'd need. .blend files would be good as well, just in case. The idea is to integrate them with MODEL nodes and use the new "default action groups" to ensure the gear doors open in sync with them, so if everything goes well, there'd be no need for messing around with the .blend.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.