War Discussion Forum Group

The Space Dino

In my time here I've seen a few people that are interested in war stuff or whatever you call it. As a war stuff guy too myself I want to talk with you guys out there too!

Current list of war stuff people

1. @The Space Dino

2. @Bill Phil

3. @Xorth Tanovar

4. @NSEP

5. @adsii1970

6. @HoloYolo

7. @Dman979

8. @CliftonM

9. @tater

10. @pTrevTrevs

11. @Ten Key

12. @NorthernDevo

13.  @TheSaint

14. @Matuchkin

15. @WinkAllKerb''

16. @Spacetraindriver

17. @legoclone09

18. @Brownie352

Edited by The Space Dino

18 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

No, I mean people who have a interest in war history and stuff.

But if you like weapons or other stuff like BD Armoury I'll put you in the list :)

Well, i dont like BDarmory, but i have watched some history videos of war on youtube for the week, quite interesting actually.

I'm a nut when it comes to the technology involved and the mechanics of said technology. But I wouldn't call myself a "fan"....

I do like a good dose of history, though.

Some things I'm interested in:

Military Aircraft (bombers, fighters, the like)

Battleships (obviously)

Small arms (how they work 'n' stuff, it can be pretty interesting)

Tanks and other ground vehicles

Tactics

History

Rockets/Missiles

The industrial capacity during wartime (it's a lot, even though total world capacity was nearly a tenth of today's)

Other related tech

And of course the civilian applications involved with these technologies (if any)

Yep, served 1983-1995. After basic and tech schools, was stationed in South Korea, Utah, Germany (with an unintended side-trip to the Sandbox for Desert Shield/Storm), ended up in New Jersey when I was discharged.

Usually interested in anything related to air power, but also have a fondness for firearms of all sorts...own a few Lee-Enfields (oldest one I have is 1913), Yugoslav SKS's, a couple CZ-52's... 

I just recently turned my interest into history. I really like the way weapons worked and stuff back in the day.

I am actually quite interested in war and battle. Can we also discuss stuff about war here?

8 hours ago, Xorth Tanovar said:

As a 12-year USAF vet, of course I am! :cool:

Eyebrow raising and jaw dropping!

Being an Air Force veteran is something you should really be proud of!

And here i am, the last time i have been in the air was when i was 2 years old.

3 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

Well, this thread is supposed to be a discussion thread about war and other stuff:)

Ok!

So i have a question, how do people actually capture land during a war? Say we have power A and country B, what does power A actually have to do to take control over a piece of land that is originaly from country B? I never understood how that is done.

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

how do people actually capture land during a war?

By capturing it.  A puts enough people with guns on the land to keep B's people with guns off of it.

Edit:
The simple version is: If A can impose their rules on the land, and prevent B from imposing their rules, they've captured the land.  What happens after the conflict ends is up to diplomats and the treaties they negotiate.  Sometimes A keeps the land.  Sometimes B gets it back.  Sometimes, other outcomes are possible.  It all depends on who is "winning" at the end, and who is willing to give up what in the name of peace.  This was generally true until the middle of the 20th century, at which point things seem to have changed quite a bit.  Since "until the middle of the 20th century" is over 99% of human history, it's a bit soon to say exactly how things will go in the future, and how well the concept of an International Community sticks.

Edited by razark

And A has to ensure they have the manpower and firepower to defend a counterstrike or to contend with partisan fighters loyal to B that remain covert and behind the battle lines in newly occupied territory.

@The Space Dino: Include me on your list, after all, I'm a professional historian and war is a part of my major field of study: foreign policy.

Edited by adsii1970

It might be a bit strange to say you are a fan of war. War is a terrible thing. Anyone even remotely involved of any of it tends to confirm that.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

So i have a question, how do people actually capture land during a war? Say we have power A and country B, what does power A actually have to do to take control over a piece of land that is originaly from country B? I never understood how that is done.

The truth is that modern military doctrine wrestles with similar questions. Front lines used to be pretty well defined and who was your enemy was fairly clear cut too, since people tended to belong to specific factions and wore uniforms accordingly. Nowadays, conflict zones are a huge confusing mess, rather than pretty well defined mutually exclusive areas with a line that separated them.

Of course, it does not help that conflicts have become more and more about ideology than state versus state or nation against nation. Add to that that even conventional states seem to prefer covert operations and proxy conflicts rather than all out war more and more, and you are left with a rather confused notion of what holding ground and power actually means.

Edited by Camacha

1 hour ago, HoloYolo said:

I like learning about war. WWII especially, just such an interesting conflict.

Cool! 

I actually live near the coast of the Netherlands, there are still alot of German bunkers there. It is very interesting.

17 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Germans tend to build a lot of bunkers. In fact, I believe they even had a mobile bunker here http://acemodel.com.ua/en/model/600

Yep. Whenever i go to the coast you cant ignore the bunkers, i sometimes even want to take a look inside.

I never knew Germans made a mobile bunker, but it is not a suprise for me, they invented crazy things in both WW1 and WW2.

11 hours ago, NSEP said:

Yep. Whenever i go to the coast you cant ignore the bunkers, i sometimes even want to take a look inside.

I never knew Germans made a mobile bunker, but it is not a suprise for me, they invented crazy things in both WW1 and WW2.

Yeah, like the Gustav 800mm gun and the Maus!

I live in a country where the Japanese have come before in WWII but they did not build much. Most military stuff left by them are in museums now.

Edited by The Space Dino

Hey, add me, too!

I love military history. I'm taking a class on the American Civil War right now. My Eagle Scout project was recording US veterans' stories for the VHP.

I'm interested in US military history in particular, but I could hold my own on the Six-Day War and the Yom Kippur war as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.