War Discussion Forum Group

The Space Dino

19 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

Yeah, like the Gustav 800mm gun and the Maus!

I live in a country where the Japanese have come before in WWII but they did not build much. Most military stuff left by them are in museums now.

German tanks from 1943-1945 were very interesting. Metal beasts capable of everything but being able to be relied on.

Edited by HoloYolo

And mass-production. The German war machine at that point of the war was unable to transfer from high-quality, high-tolerance engineering to reliably producing the cheapest designs. For various reasons, Germany had lost most of their natural resources. In addition, their labor force was hurting, due to the carpet bombing of factories and cities (but this is debatable).

I'd argue that Germany never really transitioned from a per-war, experimentation industry to a war footing, based around simple, reliable, cheap, and effective weapons.

5 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

And mass-production. The German war machine at that point of the war was unable to transfer from high-quality, high-tolerance engineering to reliably producing the cheapest designs. For various reasons, Germany had lost most of their natural resources. In addition, their labor force was hurting, due to the carpet bombing of factories and cities (but this is debatable).

I'd argue that Germany never really transitioned from a per-war, experimentation industry to a war footing, based around simple, reliable, cheap, and effective weapons.

Germany didn't transit into a war economy fully until February 1945. Had they done it sooner it's likely that the Soviets with their massive numbers of tanks would have not been so overwhelming. And, generally, they would've been able to supply troops better, meaning that Fall Blau or Barbarossa would've been different.

Edited by HoloYolo

11 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

They are stronk and you should know that.

At the beginning of the war? Let's not forget that this is the same Red Army that took tremendous casualties from the Finns, the same Red Army that Stalin had purged of its effective officers, and wasn't expecting to be attacked.

The USSR's main strength during the early war was it's ability to commit almost entirely to fighting the Germans. They didn't have to worry about the Chinese or Japanese, because they were busy fighting amongst themselves, and the British Empire was spread too thin to attack.

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

At the beginning of the war? Let's not forget that this is the same Red Army that took tremendous casualties from the Finns, the same Red Army that Stalin had purged of its effective officers, and wasn't expecting to be attacked.

The USSR's main strength during the early war was it's ability to commit almost entirely to fighting the Germans. They didn't have to worry about the Chinese or Japanese, because they were busy fighting amongst themselves, and the British Empire was spread too thin to attack.

Yes, you are right. And during the late war, they were churning out T-34s like paper.

7 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

@Dman979 your're added!

What are you guys' favourite tank? Mine is the Tiger II.

This Russian beast!

KT40.JPG

I love the crazy things invented during the World Wars!

This small tank thingy looks cool too.

Fortin_Aubriot_Gabet.jpg

I like the way modern tanks are so powerfull, but they all look the same. They look so borimg that i lost interest in them.

Edited by NSEP

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

This Russian beast!

KT40.JPG

I love the crazy things invented during the World Wars!

This small tank thingy looks cool too.

Fortin_Aubriot_Gabet.jpg

I like the way modern tanks are so powerfull, but they all look the same. They look so borimg that i lost interest in them.

WAIT A MINUTE. A FLYING TANK?!!! Oh god. 

Yeah, that's why I don't care about modern tanks too.

1 hour ago, The Space Dino said:

WAIT A MINUTE. A FLYING TANK?!!! Oh god. 

Yeah, that's why I don't care about modern tanks too.

Yep, a real flying tank. It flew once succesfully, but the idea got scrapped afterwards.

I also have the same feeling with some rockets and missles, they now are just a few cylinders and a bullet shaped thing on top. But when you know all the backstory and the science behind those rockets, it gets real interesting.

I guess you could add me, too.  I'm the kind of person who has grown up watching WW2 documentaries, movies, etc.

Spoiler

Bonus points if you've seen this:

MV5BMTYyMzQ0NDk4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAw

Just now, CliftonM said:

I guess you could add me, too.  I'm the kind of person who has grown up watching WW2 documentaries, movies, etc.

Hide contents

I also watch my fair share of documentaries, from the Bulge to Moscow, but I have not seen that particular one. Where can I find it?

Just now, HoloYolo said:

Thanks a lot. Feels like it's a little bit biased after reading the movie trivia and some of the reviews, but still looks good.

Yes, it most definitely is biased, but it does do a great job at showing film from the war.

50 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have the boxed DVD set in my computer room upstairs. Highly recommended.

Books would be a good thing in this thread...

Later tonight I will list a few quite good books (I'll admit that they will be biased towards WW2 PTO, a particular area of interest to me (though I'm reading a history of the Armada at the moment).

11 minutes ago, tater said:

Books would be a good thing in this thread...

Later tonight I will list a few quite good books (I'll admit that they will be biased towards WW2 PTO, a particular area of interest to me (though I'm reading a history of the Armada at the moment).

I have a book called "World War II Day by Day". Great book that goes into every week (and day) of the war from 9-1-1939 all the way till 9-2-1945.

28 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

I have a book called "World War II Day by Day". Great book that goes into every week (and day) of the war from 9-1-1939 all the way till 9-2-1945.

I just finished the WWI version of that.  Quite interesting, considering my limited knowledge on the subject.

U.S. school education being: France and England got into a war with Germany but Russia turned out to be worthless at fighting Germans, so we finally got tired of it, went over there, sorted it out, wrote the peace treaty, and we've never had any trouble from it since.

Just now, razark said:

I just finished the WWI version of that.  Quite interesting, considering my limited knowledge on the subject.

U.S. school education being: France and England got into a war with Germany but Russia turned out to be worthless at fighting Germans, so we finally got tired of it, went over there, sorted it out, wrote the peace treaty, and we've never had any trouble from it since.

I read ahead in my History Textbook and they seem to acknowledge that we did enter very late, but we saved the Tommies and the Frenchies. Not saying that we were the heroes but we weren't useless either. We did give Britain and France a lot of resources and money, and we had over 4 million soldiers in France by 1918 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_in_World_War_I).

The US entry into the war was a palpable reminder to the Germans that they would certainly lose their war of attrition. They were never on track to win it simply because the UK had more colonials to burn than they had Germans, but the US made it so much more obvious. 

Good WW1 books would be Storm of Steel, Now it can be told, and The Guns of August. If you want a great podcast, try Dan Carlin's Hardcore History ww1 series, "Blueprint for Armageddon "

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.