[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You decide which I'm featuring here. Gael's visual touchup... or a new skybox. :wink: Click my sig to get it.

ownEjrE.jpg

Really beautiful...Space Station was pretty awesome too (clicked the link) 

Just now, EleSigma said:

@JadeOfMaar I was wondering, is the disappearing surface when you get close to Thalia intended or missing textures?

I managed to land anyways, but still it's annoying having to slowly descend 3000~ meters at around 10 m/s because you don't know when you're going to hit something. :(

That's not intended at all. The only thing you should meet is that when you're landing the terrain becomes really dark. @Galileo should have an answer for you. Sadly, I'm stumped.

16 minutes ago, EleSigma said:

@JadeOfMaar I was wondering, is the disappearing surface when you get close to Thalia intended or missing textures?

I managed to land anyways, but still it's annoying having to slowly descend 3000~ meters at around 10 m/s because you don't know when you're going to hit something. :(

I have no idea what going on in your game. I just landed on thalia over and over and never had it disappeared.

19 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have no idea what going on in your game. I just landed on thalia over and over and never had it disappeared.

I'm using the alternate Ciro config, and planetshine (I don't think that has anything to do with it?) also going into map mode on my probe, zooming out, and then moving the camera up and down, it seems the texture doesn't disappear (since if that was the case you'd be looking through the planet) rather it just keeps getting darker until it goes completely black the closer you get to the surface. I know it's supposed to get darker when you're close to the surface. What controls the lighting of the surface?

Edited by EleSigma

Hi,

On the Wiki, there are links to the MKS and Karbonite threads, but those threads were ganked by the forum problems in January.  There is a new MKS thread and no replacement Karbonite thread to date.  You may wish to update the wiki.  Thanks

2 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi,

On the Wiki, there are links to the MKS and Karbonite threads, but those threads were ganked by the forum problems in January.  There is a new MKS thread and no replacement Karbonite thread to date.  You may wish to update the wiki.  Thanks

Remind me where those are, please.

7 minutes ago, EleSigma said:

I'm using the alternate Ciro config, and planetshine (I don't think that has anything to do with it?) also going into map mode on my probe, zooming out, and then moving the camera up and down, it seems the texture doesn't disappear (since if that was the case you'd be looking through the planet) rather it just keeps getting darker until it goes completely black the closer you get to the surface. I know it's supposed to get darker when you're close to the surface. What controls the lighting of the surface?

I still dont know what you are talking about. Im not getting this issue. I just tried with the alternate cfg on version 1.1 and have zero issues.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Remind me where those are, please.

Sorry, @JadeOfMaar, I may be mistaken. I was looking at your post towards the beginning of this thread with the recommended mods, and that's when I saw the issue.  I thought that info was also repeated on the wiki.  I can't access Github here to check ATM, but I can look later.

On 3/26/2017 at 9:54 PM, OhioBob said:

Probably the best match would be 10.6257x.  That would give Gael and Earth the exact same gravitational parameter.

Bob,

Would 10.6257 be applied to the resize parameter, or both to resize and rescale? And would it be for the whole system, or just for Gael? Any problems with keeping the rest of the system at 10x if it's just Gael that receives the additional bump?

And is there a particular reason why Gael has a 31.5 hour rotation period? If it's resized to be the same as Earth, shouldn't it be 24 hours? Or will changing the day length mess up whether a particular body is tidally locked?

Any additional thoughts you might have for a 10.6257x GPP would be most welcome.

Edited by Norcalplanner

2 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Bob,

Would 10.6257 be applied to the resize parameter, or both to resize and rescale? And would it be for the whole system, or just for Gael?

And is there a particular reason why Gael has a 31.5 hour rotation period? If it's resized to be the same as Earth, shouldn't it be 24 hours? Or will changing the day length mess up whether a particular body is tidally locked?

Any additional thoughts you might have for a 10.6257x GPP would be most welcome.

In the application that I was referring to, the 10.6257 factor would apply to resize.  It would give Gael the same gravitational parameter (and mass) as Earth.  Personally, I always like to use the same number for both resize and rescale and apply it globally.  That way everything (both sizes and distances) remains in its original proportions.

Gael has a 31.5 hour rotation period?  That shouldn't be.  At the 10x scale, it should have a rotation period of 18 hours.  And I don't agree that resizing Gael to Earth size will give it a 24 hour period.  Gael is not Earth, so there's no reason it's going to rotate at the same rate.  When I resize/rescale, I like to change the rotational period by about the square root of the resize/rescale factors.  This makes periods, travel times, etc. about the same in both the original and resized/rescaled system when measured in days.  For instance, in a 10X system we have, SQRT(10) = 3.162.  Therefore, Gael's rotation period should be 6 * 3.162=18.972 hours.  (I probably should have rounded off and made Gael's period 19 hours, but for other reasons I made it 18 hours).  By scaling in this way, Gaels' year will remain the same number of days, Iota's orbital period will remain the same number of days, and it will take the same number of days to travel between Gael and Iota.

Changing the length of days shouldn't have any affect on tidally locked bodies, at least not in KSP.  In real life the situation is far more complex.  For instance, Earth's current 24-hour period and Moon's current distance and orbital period are linked together because they are the result of the same tidal forces.

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

Sorry, @JadeOfMaar, I may be mistaken. I was looking at your post towards the beginning of this thread with the recommended mods, and that's when I saw the issue.  I thought that info was also repeated on the wiki.  I can't access Github here to check ATM, but I can look later.

Okay I checked that post and updated the MKS link. I could link Karbonite to the Karbonite+ thread or to its GitHub but for now (due to uncertainty) I did not link it to anything.

9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Okay I checked that post and updated the MKS link. I could link Karbonite to the Karbonite+ thread or to its GitHub but for now (due to uncertainty) I did not link it to anything.

It should probably go to the Git.  K/K+ are one and the same mod now so it may get confusing pointing them somewhere else.

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

In the application that I was referring to, the 10.6257 factor would apply to resize.  It would give Gael the same gravitational parameter (and mass) as Earth.  Personally, I always like to use the same number for both resize and rescale and apply it globally.  That way everything (both sizes and distances) remains in its original proportions.

Gael has a 31.5 hour rotation period?  That shouldn't be.  At the 10x scale, it should have a rotation period of 18 hours.  And I don't agree that resizing Gael to Earth size will give it a 24 hour period.  Gael is not Earth, so there's no reason it's going to rotate at the same rate.  When I resize/rescale, I like to change the rotational period by about the square root of the resize/rescale factors.  This makes periods, travel times, etc. about the same in both the original and resized/rescaled system when measured in days.  For instance, in a 10X system we have, SQRT(10) = 3.162.  Therefore, Gael's rotation period should be 6 * 3.162=18.972 hours.  (I probably should have rounded off and made Gael's period 19 hours, but for other reasons I made it 18 hours).  By scaling in this way, Gaels' year will remain the same number of days, Iota's orbital period will remain the same number of days, and it will take the same number of days to travel between Gael and Iota.

Changing the length of days shouldn't have any affect on tidally locked bodies, at least not in KSP.  In real life the situation is far more complex.  For instance, Earth's current 24-hour period and Moon's current distance and orbital period are linked together because they are the result of the same tidal forces.

Thanks for all the assistance. I'm not at the computer atm, so I may be mistaken on the day length - I was thinking that the 1.75 global day length modifier interacted with Gael'a 3x modifier, and I could well be mistaken.

I'll apply the 10.6257 factor to both resize and rescale, and see what happens. Thanks again for all your help.

HOLY CRAP!!! Seriously? This must be a joke.

N5pnUd5.jpg

Catullus, Tellumo, and Icarus? Since I must first sleep over it. When writing the posts, however, I already have ideas. Maybe ... does not sound impossible. Can you hear the gear wheels in my brain too? In any case, the Missin already has a name - mission impossible.

Greetings

14 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Thanks for all the assistance. I'm not at the computer atm, so I may be mistaken on the day length - I was thinking that the 1.75 global day length modifier interacted with Gael'a 3x modifier, and I could well be mistaken.

Those factors do not multiply.  When a planet specific parameter is provided, then only that number is used.  If a planet specific parameter is not provided, then the global factor is used.

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I Think the best Way to Link all USI Links direktly to USI-Constelation-Page. 

https://bobpalmer.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/

The Karbonite+ Tread is gone in the big Purge. RD mentioned to open one new but he is at the Moment on the next Stage Integration of USI and maybe don't have Time. Most Communication for KA/KA+ goes through Kolonisation-Tread but on GitHub he is full present. The Page is always up to Date and you don't have to look for permanent Link updates?

I hope this is helpful.

PS: Karbonite is closed and was merged in Ka+ you will find only old Dev-Tread 

Edited by Urses