[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

27 minutes ago, ISE said:

Im not 100% but I think I had issues with particle reentry with most planet packs or enhancement packs. 

I've been running Re-Entry Particle Effects from day 1 when using GPP and have never had an issue...just an FYI...

1 hour ago, Phil Kerman said:

Does GPP work with kerbalism? or does Kerbalism work with GPP :wink:

When I install Kerbalism, my CommNet always disables itself. I can activate  the CommNet in the settings, but after closing the menu its disabled again.

Thanks

Kerbalism does that, it uses its own comm system. You may want to go read up on its thread. :wink: It does many things very differently.

7 hours ago, rasta013 said:

I've been running Re-Entry Particle Effects from day 1 when using GPP and have never had an issue...just an FYI...

okay, then cross that off the list of possible causes haha, I did see that issue before, but im not sure what caused it. I did all the steps u did and it went away. What was the last thing u changed before it happened? 

WARNING!...CAUTION!...err SOMETHING KIND OF IMPORTANT!... That's more fitting.

If I'm not mistaken, today is prerelease day for KSP. If you intend to opt in for the prerelease, be sure to make a copy of KSP 1.2.2 so you can continue your careers.

I do not plan on releasing anything during the prerelease because we known how those things go. Besides, kopernicus is version locked and I'm sure the dev does not want to continuously release a version for each prerelease. 

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

WARNING!...CAUTION!...err SOMETHING KIND OF IMPORTANT!... That's more fitting.

If I'm not mistaken, today is prerelease day for KSP. If you intend to opt in for the prerelease, be sure to make a copy of KSP 1.2.2 so you can continue your careers.

I do not plan on releasing anything during the prerelease because we known how those things go. Besides, kopernicus is version locked and I'm sure the dev does not want to continuously release a version for each prerelease. 

Is the current dev branch on git fairly stable? Is it save game compatible? Last question, any chance we will get a release of the new version for 1.2.2?

10 hours ago, Galileo said:

42 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Is the current dev branch on git fairly stable? Is it save game compatible? Last question, any chance we will get a release of the new version for 1.2.2?

Galileo's referring only to KSP's pre-release. There's no GPP pre-release (as far as I know). He's merely warning any users of planet mods to be prepared if they decide to jump on the KSP update.

As for GitHub: all of GPP's code branches are off-limits. :) The dev branch exists because players have downloaded from the Master branch and were meeting WIP features and fixes--maybe even streaming them.

GPP's update will work fine with KSP 1.2.2.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Slowly it becomes serious,

All vehicles have now entered Gauss in the corresponding parking orbits.

peJh7eo.jpg

HU8Q6F3.jpg

mBGydz8.jpg

Also, I have just received this offer. So lucky for the poor guy that I have enough space.

IaOEAUi.jpg

Now I'll land on Catullus. Hopefully it will work. By the way - I am seriously considering whether I am developing like a spaceplane for Catullus. Do you think that would be possible? Maybe something with a Surface TWR of 1.2 so you can start like a rocket. From 45km then LVN would come to work?

Greetings

So this part of the 10x config references Kerbin

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@dayLengthMultiplier = 3
		}
	}
}

And does not throw an error, but in other places Kerbin is getting rejected as an invalid body.  So I take it Gael is really called Gael behind the scenes, but then why does this config list Kerbin?

31 minutes ago, eberkain said:

So this part of the 10x config references Kerbin

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@dayLengthMultiplier = 3
		}
	}
}

And does not throw an error, but in other places Kerbin is getting rejected as an invalid body.  So I take it Gael is really called Gael behind the scenes, but then why does this config list Kerbin?

In order to get mechjeb and ker to work with GPP, kerbin has to exist in the game. In GPP, kerbin is merely renamed to Gael for compatibility purposes. You will see a lot of kerbin in many of the cfgs throughout GPP.

3 hours ago, thecross said:

I look forward to being surprised with "weather" on other planets.

It would be quite interesting challenge to land if there really was a moving atmosphere around you. Try using parachutes in a 30m/s wind :D. Maybe a space plane would be the way to go?

I'm sure there's a simple math reason for this, but wondering...I'm playing in a 3.2x scale GPP. When I scaled up, my transit time from Gael to Iota went from 3-4 days to roughly double that. I expected that, while distances increased, velocities also increased and would cancel each other out (more or less)

It's throwing me mostly because my Hohmann transfer times are now longer than Hohmann Transfer times to the RL Moon.

Why is that not the case?

Edited by Tyko

6 hours ago, Luovahulluus said:

It would be quite interesting challenge to land if there really was a moving atmosphere around you. Try using parachutes in a 30m/s wind :D. Maybe a space plane would be the way to go?

Try using parachutes on any planet larger than Gael/Kerbin with the issue of actual wind forces. Tellumo, Gratian and Catullus would be so (much more) brutal. :D 

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

I'm sure there's a simple math reason for this, but wondering...I'm playing in a 3.2x scale GPP. When I scaled up, my transit time from Gael to Iota went from 3-4 days to roughly double that. I expected that, while distances increased, velocities also increased and would cancel each other out (more or less)

It's throwing me mostly because my Hohmann transfer times are now longer than Hohmann Transfer times to the RL Moon.

Paging @OhioBob. OhioBob, please come in. :P 

32 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

I still have some nice pictures of the landing on Catullus.

Relax, dude! You're producing (dare i say) too many awesome pics. :D I never thought of or encountered the idea of Gauss and Tarsiss together in a sky like that. It's like Gauss and Tarsiss are the binary!

5 hours ago, Tyko said:

When a solar system is scaled up, velocities goes up by the square root of the rescale factor.  So you must travel 3.2 times farther, but your speed only SQRT(3.2) = 1.79 times faster.  Therefore, your flight time also increases by the square root of the rescale factor.  That is, 3.2x distance / 1.79x speed = 1.79x time.

Regarding travel times to the RL Moon, the Apollo missions didn't fly Hohmann transfers.  They flew something called a one-tangent burn to decrease the flight time from about 5 days for a Hohmann transfer to about 3 days.  Don't forget also that those are 24-hour days.  A Hohmann transfer to Iota in 3.2x scale should take about 45 hours, while a Hohmann transfer to the RL Moon would take about 120 hours.

(edit)  Also note that in 3.2x, Gael's day is increased from 6 to 12 hours, therefore your travel time to Iota should be about the same as 1x when measured in days.

Edited by OhioBob

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Try using parachutes on any planet larger than Gael/Kerbin with the issue of actual wind forces. Tellumo, Gratian and Catullus would be so (much more) brutal. 

Winds on Venus are up to 100m/s but near the surface only about 10m/s. That's roughly the same as on Earth. Obviously the very thick atmosphere is making things a lot more difficult on Venus.

On Neptune the winds are up to 666m/s (according to space.com) so maybe Tellumo would fit somewhere between them?

I'm certainly no expert on winds, but my gut feeling tells me that winds on Tellumo wouldn't be that bad.  The planet doesn't have a very large range of temperature.  Aren't temperature differences (i.e. density differences) the main driver of winds (warm air rising and cool air sweeping in to replace it)?  The planet that has the largest range of temperature (with rapid changes over the daily cycle) is Niven.  My guess is that Niven probably has some pretty serious convection cells.  Of course its air is thin, so its winds wouldn't have the force of those on planets with thicker atmospheres.

20 hours ago, OhioBob said:

When a solar system is scaled up, velocities goes up by the square root of the rescale factor.

I've mentioned this several times in this thread (and elsewhere), so I figured I ought to explain.

The formula to compute gravitational acceleration is as follows (for a derivation, see here):

g = μ / r²

where μ is the gravitational parameter (gravitational constant * mass), and r is the radius.

In KSP, when we rescale a body, we generally keep it's surface gravity the same.  Therefore the value of g in the above equation is a constant, which means that μ is proportional to r²,

μ \propto r²

The equation used to calculate orbital velocity is as follows (for a derivation, see here):

v = ( μ / r )1/2

Substituting r² for μ, we see that v is proportional to the square root of r,

\propto ( r² / r )1/2  \propto r1/2

This proportionality is true not only for orbital velocity, but also escape velocity, velocity changes, etc.

Edited by OhioBob
format tweak