[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

1 minute ago, Yargnit said:

Any idea how to fix the dx11 stripe issue? I swapped to dx10 mode for now, but overall dx11 mode seems to perform the smoothest in KSP.

you  would have to convert all the terrain textures to png.  The folder is inside the GPP folder. Dx11 also doesn't play very nice with scatterer or SVE so you might be asking for trouble on that front too

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Oh, I think I understand your question now.  Were you asking if it were really possible for lakes to exist on Niven?

The answer is yes.  I actually performed a fairly detailed study of surface pressure, temperature, and boiling points.  I was able to identify specific latitudes and elevations at which liquid water could exist.  That's where we placed the lakes.

Wouldn't the atmosphere have to be mainly water vapor then? I was under the impression that the vapor pressure would need to be at an equilibrium for those lakes to be stable. At Niven temperatures and pressures, wouldn't there need to be about 0.05 atmospheres of water vapor present planet-wide? Otherwise, the lakes would dry up. Either that, or those latitudes are somehow close to 273K most of the time. 

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Not unless you convert all the terrain textures to png.  The folder is inside the GPP folder. 

So how come other planet packs like OPM don't run into that issue then? They don't have .PNG's that I've seen.

11 minutes ago, Yargnit said:

So how come other planet packs like OPM don't run into that issue then? They don't have .PNG's that I've seen.

Because they use  textures that are already built in to ksp.  Mine are custom

11 minutes ago, Noname115 said:

@Galileo Because I don't know how to make a pastebin note with my mod list (because I'm dumb), have a couple pictures instead: XB2ICNJ.png

GN6evzf.png

Those should all be good. 

If you are crashing every 10 minutes,  may I ask how much ram you have? 

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

If you are crashing every 10 minutes,  may I ask how much ram you have? 

In the RAM department, it's pretty overkill. 16 GB. (At least I don't have to worry about RAM requirements for games. :) )

Edited by Noname115

5 minutes ago, Yargnit said:

So I'm noticing that under water at night the ground textures aren't rendering properly. this is what I am getting;  y2ZXl9v.png 

I'm not running scattered or anything else texture/terrain related.

I don't know, i don't ever go underwater at night and didn't design this pack with being underwater in mind. If you are getting the terrain texture on the land,  than I have no doubts that it's underwater.  It may just be hard to see.  

3 minutes ago, ockidj said:

Dont get me wrong this is my new favorite mod, but the kerbin system just seems like a re-texture.

you could add a little atmosphere to a moon, or sprinkle some asteroids in there.

The point of the Gael system is to provide some recognizable bodies but add a little challenge.  If you want what you are suggesting,  you will have to add it.  I'm not stopping you,  but I'm not going to touch it. I like it the way it is.. 

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

The point of the Gael system is to provide some recognizable bodies but add a little challenge.  If you want what you are suggesting,  you will have to add it.  I'm not stopping you,  but I'm not going to touch it. I like it the way it is.. 

I love the way it is.

1 minute ago, Yargnit said:

That picture is underwater, the textures on land are fine. That's my submarine I designed to explore the ocean floors. 

I know the pic is under water. What I'm saying is,  if the terrain is good on the land,  I'm positive it's also underwater.   Let your sub sink to the bottom and I'm sure you will see it.   Also if you can see the textures underwater during the day,  it's definitely there at night just maybe harder to see

Just now, ockidj said:

I love the way it is.

I'm glad you like it :)

53 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Wouldn't the atmosphere have to be mainly water vapor then? I was under the impression that the vapor pressure would need to be at an equilibrium for those lakes to be stable. At Niven temperatures and pressures, wouldn't there need to be about 0.05 atmospheres of water vapor present planet-wide? Otherwise, the lakes would dry up. Either that, or those latitudes are somehow close to 273K most of the time. 

Yeah, I think you might be right.  I computed it based on the total atmospheric pressure and not the partial pressure of water.  There may still be a narrow band of latitude where water can exist, but I need to study it closer.

@Galileo, sorry but it looks like I goofed.  How hard would it be to take out the lakes?  Do you still have the old textures from before we added them?

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Yeah, I think you might be right.  I computed it based on the total atmospheric pressure and not the partial pressure of water.  There may still be a narrow band of latitude where water can exist, but I need to study it closer.

@Galileo, sorry but it looks like I goofed.  How hard would it be to take out the lakes?  Do you still have the old textures from before we added them?

I never get rid of textures!  But I won't be able to fix anything until after the weekend.  I have to go play army and earn my health insurance lol and I'm also nowhere near a computer until then either.  

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

You could just make the atmosphere Nitrogen/Water instead of CO2/Nitrogen, assuming Niven is large enough to hold onto water vapor. 

You could also write in "lore" that Niven is losing the water to space, and those lakes are the last remnants of a global ocean. Think Earth in 2 billion years. 

6 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

You could just make the atmosphere Nitrogen/Water instead of CO2/Nitrogen, assuming Niven is large enough to hold onto water vapor. 

You could also write in "lore" that Niven is losing the water to space, and those lakes are the last remnants of a global ocean. Think Earth in 2 billion years. 

Oooh I like that too.  I mean Niven is kind of a Venus analog anyway @OhioBob

But,  I'm always down for texture work too. And I think @JadeOfMaar would also have to alter his crp resources if we changed anything.  AND I would have to redo the biome map as well... 

Sigh..  @MaxL_1023 what have you done? :D

Edited by Galileo

Niven could plausibly be at the end stage of a moist greenhouse, with an atmosphere composed of some CO2 (too heavy to escape) and the remainder being water vapor. Set the water vapor pressure equal to the equilibrium requirement at the mean locations of the lakes (assume global mixing of the atmosphere and any precipitation elsewhere evaporating more or less instantly). As water vapor escapes the atmosphere, the lakes drain to replace what is lost until nothing is left. 

Niven's night side and upper atmosphere would see some clouds, as moist greenhouse mesophere temperatures are extremely cold. The extreme temperature contrasts due to the lack of water and thin atmosphere would also kick up some nasty dust storms.

In fact, some areas in permanent shadow near the poles (assuming minimal axial tilt) would have quite a bit of permanent ice at this stage, it not subliming with a substantial atmosphere present. Ice has a much lower vapor pressure so it would survive longer assume the thermodynamics work out. 

Just now, Galileo said:

I never get rid of textures!  But I won't be able to fix anything until after the weekend.  I have to go play army and earn my health insurance lol

OK, that will give me plenty of time to study it to see if we can keep any of the lakes or if they all need to go.  My gut feeling is that any lakes that can remain might be too small to bother with.  I'll let you know.

I'm sure I made the same mistake when I figured the methane lakes on Augustus.  Augustus has enough atmospheric pressure though that I think at least some of the lakes can probably stay.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

OK, that will give me plenty of time to study it to see if we can keep any of the lakes or if they all need to go.  My gut feeling is that any lakes that can remain might be too small to bother with.  I'll let you know.

I'm sure I made the same mistake when I figured the methane lakes on Augustus.  Augustus has enough atmospheric pressure though that I think at least some of the lakes can probably stay.

Sounds good! 

Honestly I am not 100% sure that Niven would ever have been able to hold onto water vapor due to its low mass. With only half a G on the surface even Nitrogen might be able to escape - I know Mars has trouble with anything lighter than CO2 and it is much colder with about 75% of the surface gravity. 

@OhioBob Augustus has 1.4 atm so it should be quite capable of sustaining its lakes. But does the 1/3 gravity make a big difference now? for making the lakes tiny it shouldn't be harder than to merely change the deformity and (ASL) offset parameters...but if there's going to end up a lot of shallow lakes that'll be some trouble.  But I can share that part of the workload... I did it for Gael, and Niven is closer than Duna to Kerbin.

@MaxL_1023 @Galileo There is already a small water presence in Niven's oceans but none in atmosphere. It would be easy to insert/bump those. Small question. If there's water vapor does that automatically mean there's Oxygen to enable jet engines?

36 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

assuming Niven is large enough to hold onto water vapor.

It's borderline at best.

27 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Set the water vapor pressure equal to the equilibrium requirement at the mean locations of the lakes (assume global mixing of the atmosphere and any precipitation elsewhere evaporating more or less instantly).

The locations where I placed the lakes is where the surface temperature ranges between the freezing and boiling points of water.  Unfortunately I figured the boiling point at 0.1 atm pressure, which means the atmosphere would be 100% water vapor.  (Is that right?)  I probably ought to compute it for a pressure of something like 0.005 or 0.01 atm (5%-10% water).

Edited by OhioBob