[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

11 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

Hey @MaxL_1023 Not sure if you are using this or not, but it makes jet engines behave much more realistic and is now standalone from FAR

What would I need to do to convert a Ramjet into a Scramjet in this setup? I would likely want two thrust modes - ramjet for under about Mach 5 with a mode switch (like afterburner) to supersonic combustion available at speeds above about Mach 3 (minimum speed where it works), with Mach 5 being the point where the SC mode becomes more efficient. 

I want to be able to make a SSTO in 10x, and need an air-breathing engine that could get me above Mach 10 and be able to maintain flight at something like 50km (Karman line is 100km, so it should be easily possible at Mach 10). Otherwise, I'll get re-entry heat and extreme drag trying to pick up speed down low. I have heard that Scramjets would basically skip off the top of the atmosphere for long range flight - this profile would let me use more efficient engines for vacuum maneuvers and make an SSTO viable in 10x scale games. 

50 minutes ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Where is scatterer located in the .ZIP for the new update?

I found it bundled in the GPP folder but I still do not have a module manager in the main menu.

That's it. All you have to do is download and install the latest scatterer now. 

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

What would I need to do to convert a Ramjet into a Scramjet in this setup? I would likely want two thrust modes - ramjet for under about Mach 5 with a mode switch (like afterburner) to supersonic combustion available at speeds above about Mach 3 (minimum speed where it works), with Mach 5 being the point where the SC mode becomes more efficient. 

I want to be able to make a SSTO in 10x, and need an air-breathing engine that could get me above Mach 10 and be able to maintain flight at something like 50km (Karman line is 100km, so it should be easily possible at Mach 10). Otherwise, I'll get re-entry heat and extreme drag trying to pick up speed down low. I have heard that Scramjets would basically skip off the top of the atmosphere for long range flight - this profile would let me use more efficient engines for vacuum maneuvers and make an SSTO viable in 10x scale games. 

I don't think AJE would help on that front since it goes more for realism; a RamJet & Scramjet are fundamentally different. You could have a turbojet/ ramjet hybrid (like the SR-71 used) but a scramjet has almost no moving parts as it doesn't use turbines to compress the air, it uses the hypersonic shockwave for this. For realism that would mean 2 different engines (if that is your aim) and the only mod that I could find that is current for a scramjet engine is https://spacedock.info/mod/562/Mk3 Hypersonic Systems but I have not tried it myself.

Hello,

A brand new installation, where I just downloaded KSP 1.2.2.

Started the game once.

Installed the newest GPP 1.2.1 and kopernicus 1.2.2-5

I go in the main menu and try to create a new career, but flags appear in double (the GPP ones, and some but not all squads one):

FlDfT3x.png

LxQF6GJ.png

zDwsqqs.png

If I try to create a new career before installing kopernicus and GPP, no flag in double.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

Sorry to bother chummers but what is this thing?

*And if you are on easteregs catch this might be a spoiler* Do not open then!

Spoiler

WMMGzba.png

on Kerbnet ocean depth around -700 and over the "Mountain"(?) 1702m and it looks like this ..object... have Karbet acess but only for satelites on 90deg? Easteregg?

i'm a little Courious...

Funny Kabooms

Urses

@JadeOfMaar sorry chummer but i stole something for true from you (:wink:) (this is a beauty<3)

14 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Finally hopping on the bandwagon here :)

And of course, I now have to make some new special MKS bits to encourage people to settle on the more hospitable worlds.

Welcome aboard!

Actually - question for you @Galileo - from a design standpoint (and no need to name names, looking forward to exploring and learning for myself), within GPP, what are your parameters for what you would consider a planet capable of colonization?  i.e. atmospheric composition, pressure, gravity, etc.?

Next question (and sorry for the spam)

Does the optional rescale change distance, or does it also change radius?

46 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Actually - question for you @Galileo - from a design standpoint (and no need to name names, looking forward to exploring and learning for myself), within GPP, what are your parameters for what you would consider a planet capable of colonization?  i.e. atmospheric composition, pressure, gravity, etc.?

Next question (and sorry for the spam)

Well colonizable is a broad word. I mean, we have had plans to "colonize" the moon in the past. It's having the technology to do it that holds us back. 

But, if you want me to outline what I think would make for a life sustaining planet, I can only fathom that it would be much like Earth. Needs an atmosphere with breathable oxygen, oceans of water or an abundance of frozen water on or under the surface. 

Planets like Mars are on the fence, but I believe with technology we can successfully colonize a Martian type planet and be able to sustain life there. 

When designing GPP, I basically put rocks in orbit, and tapped into @OhioBobs knowledge on atmospheres, before applying any to the bodies. He really is the authority on what was livable and what wasn't.

The rescale alters distance and radius.

2 hours ago, Urses said:

Sorry to bother chummers but what is this thing?

*And if you are on easteregs catch this might be a spoiler* Do not open then!

Reveal hidden contents

WMMGzba.png

on Kerbnet ocean depth around -700 and over the "Mountain"(?) 1702m and it looks like this ..object... have Karbet acess but only for satelites on 90deg? Easteregg?

i'm a little Courious...

Funny Kabooms

Urses

@JadeOfMaar sorry chummer but i stole something for true from you (:wink:) (this is a beauty<3)

What are the coordinates for that?

38 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Personally, I consider all those factors important, but what is post important probably depends on your style of play.  I think it also depends on what mods you use and whether or not you need access to resources.  I usually play a vanilla game, so my Kerbals are pretty much indestructible in that I don't have to worry about feeding them, or whether they have oxygen to breath or water to drink, or what physiological effects low or high gravity will have on them, or whether they'll die from exposure or radiation sickness.  I imagine all those things are important in deciding where to set up a colony, but that's not something I typically deal with.  The presence of oxygen is also important if you want to fly jet aircraft, but since I'm pretty much just a rocket guy, having oxygen present really isn't important to me.  I also think ease of access and travel time is important, as well as how easy or difficult is it to land on and launch from the planet.  So I think the answer really depends on what type of game you play, and the answer would be different again if we were talking about real-life.

38 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

The optional configs both resize and rescale, using the same multiplier for both.  Resize applies to all the radii, and rescale applies to all the distances.

8 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi,

To install your sunflares, do we put them in Gamedata\GPP\GPP_Scatterer? and I'm not sure where the skyboxes go.  They do not show up if I put them in TextureReplacer.

Thanks

Yes, that's where sunflares go.

for skyboxes, put the textures in the default folder and download Rangmachines version of texturereplacer. The link is on texturereplacers thread in the OP

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

From a Human standpoint, gravity is the only one that we can't really "deal" with at the moment. However, these are Kerbals... they can take any punishment.

What I will say though is that some of the transfer times are very long so make sure you pack enough supplies and offer a large amount of Hab. space. :D 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

What are the coordinates for that?

I believe that is the KSC 2 island. @Urses implied that he's getting CommNet signal from there and there was a dish beside KSC 2. By the way, dude, I clearly see what you did there. You did an impressive job. :D 

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Haha, @Poodmund. RoverDude of all people should know what to do to keep his kerbals happy and alive, and to shorten his trips to Gauss and beyond. :wink: 

Between GPP and any life support system what makes a hospitable planet comes down to three things in my opinion. Gravity, atmosphere height & pressure and resource distributions (includes atmosphere composition and influenced by @OhioBob). Can you build a ship that safely lands on the bigger, badder worlds if you wanted to? Can you return to orbit from them? Will you find what you need for the mining aspect of things? 

Well then - I was trying to make a rocket for a Kerballed Thalia mission. I ended up trying to use one of those 10m SpaceY 43x1.25m thrust plates with 43 Vector Engines...

As the Thalia Transfer Stage.

I need some more advanced engines. 

49 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Well then - I was trying to make a rocket for a Kerballed Thalia mission. I ended up trying to use one of those 10m SpaceY 43x1.25m thrust plates with 43 Vector Engines...

As the Thalia Transfer Stage.

I need some more advanced engines. 

Jeez man, that is a ton of engines. I want screenshots of this mission. :)

I didn't have enough funds to launch it - I need to do some design optimization. I wanted to have a lander which could land on Thalia, refuel using an ISRU, launch into orbit and then get to Eta to refuel again - kind of like a Thalia-Eta alternating refuel cycle. I needed more than 6 km/s of delta-v, plus another 7k to ensure I can circularize at Thalia, then 4-5k for the return burn and 6k for the initial transfer. You can see the problem. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

23 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I didn't have enough funds to launch it - I need to do some design optimization. I wanted to have a lander which could land on Thalia, refuel using an ISRU, launch into orbit and then get to Eta to refuel again - kind of like a Thalia-Eta alternating refuel cycle. I needed more than 6 km/s of delta-v, plus another 7k to ensure I can circularize at Thalia, then 4-5k for the return burn and 6k for the initial transfer. You can see the problem. 

Looking forward to your report on this one. :cool:

@Galileo THANX! :D

6360545046744624101174412579_write%202.g

No idea whether it's related, but I'm getting this odd texture weirdness at gas giants:

K9YFN3l.png

Only appears at certain angles. I do have the updated Kopernicus .dll, and the ring shadow at Tellumo looks fine (and awesome!). I noted the brown gas giant inward of Gauss here (I forget the name, the one with the big moon/planet that has a moon too) didn't have a ring at all, is that right?

@JadeOfMaar Confirmed, in 6.4 RA-100 works out to Gauss, not Leto. Not sure where it cuts off in between.

@CatastrophicFailure Lol. Easy button.

I updated the install instructions to cover EVE, Kopernicus rings and Scatterer. Did you reinstall EVE and Scatterer from scratch?

In stock scale the RA-100 should reach Gauss. In upscaled systems it should reach Nero.

Spoiler

Why do you have a ship named Tes--?

YAGpXPd.png ...nvm

I'm changing my installed LS right now so I can raise my science reward % back to something sane for me...and use my own Airline Kuisine mod. I'd much rather wrestle a big boy's LS to keep my crew alive than grind extra hard for science. :mad: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Did you reinstall EVE and Scatterer from scratch?

Hmm, nope. Will try that next. CKAN ok for those now?

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

In upscaled systems it should reach Ner

Noted. Will try that second.

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Why do you have a ship named Tes--?

As I expect things to go very very wrong and buggy but "asdf" gets repetitive, vessel names in my test saves tend to be a bit... juvenile. :blush: